Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glitter

Nor sure where our nearest one is - used to be in Slough but not any more I think... :o

There's a small "Works" in Windsor, but they called the Receivers in back in the summer which is why the Slough one closed, so maybe not as nationwide as they once were!

I allow my 1yr olds to use glitter, sometimes in the water tray, in dough or just shaking it out of the pots. They love it and I

can't see what harm they could come to., they could rub anything into their eyes couldn't they?

They also have access to glue which shocked some of the other childminders at training I went on recently

I couldn't believe this - my neice has been using glitter since she was 2 and has come to no harm! The only time she has had to go into A&E was because she got sand in her eye and was taken as a precaution.

Thanks for all your replies. I think if children are properly supervised they are at no more danger from glitter that lots of other things they use. The problem is that this has now gone to an H&S person and they have confirmed that it cannot be used xD

Then I would go back to this person and ask them to provide me with full details of the hazards associated with using glitter. As I have already said, the risk factor must be classed as low as I have not heard of any problems with glitter before and I myself have not come across any cases during all my time as a mother, childminder and playleader - 21 years all told! Once you know what the hazards are then you can carry out a full risk assessment of how to deal with them within the setting. As far as I am concerned, merely stating that you can't use it as it is not recommended for under 3s is a cop out. :o

I get through quite alot of glitter, and was wondering if The Works is a shop near where you live, or is it online. I've had a look, but can't find anything.

There is a Works in Hereford - just across the border from you in Worcestershire. They have quite a good range of craft things in there. Hope this helps.

Hi, Narnia,

I get through quite alot of glitter, and was wondering if The Works is a shop near where you live, or is it online. I've had a look, but can't find anything.

Many thanks.

Theres a Works in Redditch, Solihull and Birmingham town centre :o

Then I would go back to this person and ask them to provide me with full details of the hazards associated with using glitter. As I have already said, the risk factor must be classed as low as I have not heard of any problems with glitter before and I myself have not come across any cases during all my time as a mother, childminder and playleader - 21 years all told! Once you know what the hazards are then you can carry out a full risk assessment of how to deal with them within the setting. As far as I am concerned, merely stating that you can't use it as it is not recommended for under 3s is a cop out. :o

Quite right Beau, and I'm going to sort this one out for this group if I can. I just wanted to check out with those of you actually working with under-threes, that I hadn't got this one wrong. I could understand it if it was the stuff I used as a child which was probably metal based, and therefore very gritty, but the stuff we have now is non-toxic and certainly not sharp. Thanks everyone.

As far as I am concerned, merely stating that you can't use it as it is not recommended for under 3s is a cop out. xD

Too right! Perhaps we could start some kind of lobby group - you could be its head Beau (since you've nothing better to do.) :o I propose we should call it the EYPACS - Early Years Practitioners Advocate Common Sense (restoring glitter privileges to the under 3s committee).

I'd be interested to see what the rationale behind this particular decision is!

Maz

Don't know how to add the persons post into here but i have to comment!

It's about finding glitter in your undies as posted by SHINY!!! or is there another reason you chose this username??????????????????????

Too right! Perhaps we could start some kind of lobby group - you could be its head Beau (since you've nothing better to do.) :o I propose we should call it the EYPACS - Early Years Practitioners Advocate Common Sense (restoring glitter privileges to the under 3s committee).

I'd be interested to see what the rationale behind this particular decision is!

Maz

And whilst you're a it Beau, you can lobby for an end to committee-run setups! We are professionals who should not be governed by amateurs who can change annually!

You can use egg boxes too. We're also allowed, as responsible adults, to put a plaster on a child's cut.

yep and play conkers and throw snowballs ........

or does that negate the 'responsible adult'......

yep and play conkers and throw snowballs ........

or does that negate the 'responsible adult'......

No, no. Responsible adults are aware they are responsible for playing. God forbid I should ever grow up and stop playing :o

Gosh, I go away for one day and when I get back I find I have been elevated to the lofty position of EYPACS head without even knowing it existed!! xD

As my first task I think I need to seek my members opinions on what our slogan should be. :o

Thanks for all your replies. I think if children are properly supervised they are at no more danger from glitter that lots of other things they use. The problem is that this has now gone to an H&S person and they have confirmed that it cannot be used :o

On what grounds may I ask?

Peggy

Taking a stand against unjustifiable diktats?

what about "Kamacaze (scuse spl) pilots welcome, the ultimate risk takers for ones beliefs"

or maybe less dramatic and less effect on bystanders.

Promoters of the innate sense of survival - keeping risk assessment 'real' in terms of consequence.

or

cotton wool and bubble wrap exterminators.

or

"get up, it didn't hurt" brigade.

or

The "can do" brigade

Peggy

On what grounds may I ask?

Peggy

oops I see this has been addressed in pages 2 & 3 of this thread, although no answers yet JaquieL?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)