Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glitter

Do you use glitter with under threes or is this not allowed for health and safety reasons? I am asking because a local play group has been using it in dough etc. and a parent pointed out that it should only be used with over threes.

Do you use glitter with under threes or is this not allowed for health and safety reasons? I am asking because a local play group has been using it in dough etc. and a parent pointed out that it should only be used with over threes.

Interesting question - I can't say I've looked at glitter from this angle before but I'll bet it does say "not for children under three". xD However I'm not sure what kind of health and safety threat it would pose? :o

We certainly use it both in nursery and at the Stay and Play. Will watch this with interest...

Maz

We used a lot of glitter in playgroup and had children from 2 1/2 years up. In my entire time there I never had a single glitter related incident, so I would conclude that from a health and safety viewpoint the risk of using it was low.

It will be eyes I suppose as the individual flakes are quite sharp - easy to rub into eyes. We did get some in a child's eyes many years ago, and flushed it out without any problems, but it makes you aware of potential risks. We still use it, but not at activities where children have free access to it as glitter on its own. having said that, it's in dough as we figure the salt would make them cry anyway if they got it in their eyes too, and in sand for the same reason

well, I cn confirm that if a tiny one eats it, they get glittery poo! I'm not sure that it is made from glass any longer.We buy stuff from The Works, which comes in great big pots for £1.99 for general use, and it's definately made from plastic papery stuff.The 'special glitter' for extra nice things, we tend to use more sparingly and under a more watchful eye,though the children are free to access everything at all times

Isnt it because Glitter is made from glass- our Health and safety person used to HATE us using it!

Didnt stop us though, lol

No, glitter isn't made from glass, it's made from sheets of foil, like silver foil, but a bit thicker

well, I cn confirm that if a tiny one eats it, they get glittery poo! I'm not sure that it is made from glass any longer.We buy stuff from The Works, which comes in great big pots for £1.99 for general use, and it's definately made from plastic papery stuff.The 'special glitter' for extra nice things, we tend to use more sparingly and under a more watchful eye,though the children are free to access everything at all times

Yes I can vouch for that!!

We once did a nice mixture of weetabix and glitter BIG MISTAKE (but looked nice in the builders tray!!!!!!

xxx

Thanks for all your replies. I think if children are properly supervised they are at no more danger from glitter that lots of other things they use. The problem is that this has now gone to an H&S person and they have confirmed that it cannot be used :o

Thanks for all your replies. I think if children are properly supervised they are at no more danger from glitter that lots of other things they use. The problem is that this has now gone to an H&S person and they have confirmed that it cannot be used :o

I just looked at the date and it doesn't seem to be 1st April!!

My husband is a Health ans Safety Advisor and he can see no reason why you cant use it. He says just to make sure its non toxic and it comes from a reputable suplier and for safety data sheet if not sure

Hi, Narnia,

I get through quite alot of glitter, and was wondering if The Works is a shop near where you live, or is it online. I've had a look, but can't find anything.

Many thanks.

I have spent most of the evening trying to find chapter and verse on this as, unless I come up with something 'official' to counteract the H&S eddict, the group won't feel they can use it.

The trouble is a lot of the bottles say not be be used by under-threes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)