Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glitter

I have had a reply from the HSE re using glitter with under-threes. They say it is a matter for a Risk Assessment (which I knew of course) and quoted all the relevant legislation re employer's responsibilities etc. They say that they would expect us to follow manufacturer's warnings and advice, and to check with the LA Health and Safety Advisor. The LA H&S advisor has said not to use it :o Oh dear.

I think your best option in sand or water could be to create your own 'glitter' by snipping the fringe parts of tinsel. This would be larger and therefore less likely to be a problem with eyes - if that's the hazard they've identified

Oh how silly this is. By the same token none of our under threes should have access to sand or salt or soil because of the risk of getting it in their eyes. :o

If you did a risk assessment on using glitter what would the main risk be? children eating it or getting it in their eyes. So you write into your planning how you'd minimise the risk and how you would deal with any incidents of eating/getting into eyes that occurred.

Hardly a reason to ban its use altogether... I can well understand why you're seething JacquieL. Is there no higher authority you could appeal to?

Maz

Oh how silly this is. By the same token none of our under threes should have access to sand or salt or soil because of the risk of getting it in their eyes. xD

I was just about to make a similar point. If their main statement is that it is not recommended for under 3's then I think they would also be surprised at what else we would have to 'ban'. :o

If you did a risk assessment on using glitter what would the main risk be? children eating it or getting it in their eyes. So you write into your planning how you'd minimise the risk and how you would deal with any incidents of eating/getting into eyes that occurred.

..and also how you would rinse it out if it did get into eyes. A skill learnt at your last 'expensive' (in terms of time and money) MANDATORY first aid course. :(

Peggy

alternative idea maybe, use one of those cross shredders to cut up tinsel, sweet wrappers (you'd have to eat the sweets first of course, see there is a positive in most everything. xD:o

Has anyone seen the Daily Mail today - there is a two page spread of piccys of activities abroad that the as they call them 'Elf and Safety' people would have a field day. The ones which caught my eye was two chaps holding another man upside down out through a window on a building site installing an air con unit on the outside of the building (I think he had his hat on!) and the Chinese soldier holding the shooting target on two sticks above his head.

Wonder what the Daily Mail would think about the Glitter....

I have had the glitter argument with the company I work for - I sent them an e-mail asking them if I had to stop using PVA glue and the ready Mix paint with the children under 3 as these also have a not to be used with under 3's warning.

What happened to supervision and common sense?

I did not get an answer back,

Teri

arrrggggh! really the world of H and S goes mad! Anyway for the good ones of you who do as you are told (would I count as a good one I wonder? nope!)

if you can use salt- which incidentally I think is far more of a health hazard if a child did decide to eat handfuls of it- although salt poo Christmas decorations may be all the new rage in the future- oh goodness back to the salt-I feel myself going off on a tangent.

Add food colouring to the salt and leave to dry then use. You can do the same with sand. The tinsel idea is good and even better if you let the children cut it themselves! Or maybe shred sheets of glittery wrapping paper and then get the family to sit and snip as small as possible.

Actually, just use the flippin glitter and see them in court!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)