Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

CRB's is there a cheaper provider?

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

we have our CRB's done through the 'disclosures' company and are a bit panicky about the price per enhanced crb of £44, especially as our committee renews every year.

Does anyone know if £44 is a statutory price, or are there other companies charging less?

Thank you,

Spiral :-)

Thank you too Rea. Despite all the posts about DBS on here I didn't realise I could no longer use TMG. They sent me new forms so I assumed that was what I use. I've just applied for someone so that will obviously come winging it's way back again.

Spiral, sorry I gave you the wrong information. You live and learn!

Got to be on the ball to catch the constant changes in this game, that or unemployed so you have time to sit on twitter and Facebook ;)

And that's me:)

• Like 2

Got to be on the ball to catch the constant changes in this game, that or unemployed so you have time to sit on twitter and Facebook ;)

Thank goodness for that and then I can rely on you to keep me up to date! :1b

• Like 1

Did anyone else get this email today ? This also states £44 but again all hinges on whether our committees are volunteers or not :/

Online DBS/CRB Disclosure Processing - Charities

For the past year or so we have been working on an online DBS/CRB system to help make Disclosure processing simpler for charities around the country. The aim was to save charities time and money not to mention a good deal of stress!

The experience we called upon in developing our system dates back over 10 years, as we have been processing Disclosures since their introduction in 2002.

In December 2012 we developed a bespoke system, which is currently used by over 3,000 organisations around the country. We recently asked them to let us know what they thought of the service to date. This is what one user said about our system:-

“After many years of managing a paper DBS system we moved to a web based arrangement in January 2013 provided by MG care trading as Ucheck. The change has been really marked; no paper, results in days rather than weeks and an electronic results email from Ucheck which tells us if the check is clear or not. When we have needed clarification from the Help Desk the support has been good. We looked at a variety of providers and are pleased that we settled on Ucheck as they provide a high level of service with a value for money approach.” - Simon Payne, Safeguarding Advisor.

One of the main benefits of online processing, apart from simplicity and efficiency, is to do with the Disclosure Certificate. As you will be aware the DBS has now restricted Certificates for paper applications to the applicant only. This is not the case for online applications. Organisations who use our online system, continue to receive Certificates for clear Disclosures.

We are keen to make our system available to other charities around the country and wondered whether you would like to take advantage of our service. Even if you are already using an online system, we are firmly of the opinion that we will be able to make a difference.

Our pricing structure is extremely competitive and is as follows:

Our initial charge for the user’s licence and getting you started is £20.00 plus VAT. This is a one off charge and is therefore only payable at the beginning.

Our fees for processing Disclosures are based on the number you expect to request each year and are as follows:-

0 to 500 Disclosures each year ……£6.67 plus VAT

501 to 1000 Disclosures each year……£5.00 plus VAT

1001 and more Disclosures each year……£4.50 plus VAT

The above rates assume your applicants are volunteers. If they are not you will need to add the DBS charge of £44.00 for Enhanced or £26.00 for Standard.

So far as payment is concerned, this couldn’t be simpler, as we offer a range of options.

If you would like to sign up to our service please return the attachment entitled: Service User Details Form, or for further information email: enquiries@ucheck.org.uk.

We very much look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

The UCheck Disclosure Team

uCheck Ltd and Crb-checkonline.co.uk

I haven't had one and as they're not Capita I wouldn't use them anyway unless I was involved in a non education group due to Ofsted wanting us to use Capita.

I'm going to phone again next week regarding volunteers/committee costs, see if they've sorted it.

• Like 1

How can you be unemployed Rea? If you can manage the commute from Birmingham to Suffolk, will you come and work with me? :D

How can you be unemployed Rea? If you can manage the commute from Birmingham to Suffolk, will you come and work with me? :D

Well, I darent say this out loud, but the fact is, I don't like working with children anymore! There, I said it! ;)

Wow that is a radical statement. I have to say I feel like agreeing with you today. Among other things, two delightful four year old boys got hold of the caterpillars we were 'growing' and shook the pot so violently all the caterpillars, who were at the cocoon stage, were killed. :(

Oh dear! They do seem to like testing it when we say 'be careful not to hurt it' don't they?

A friend of mine saw an article many years ago about a practitioner who buried the class rabbit that had died and 2 weeks later dug up the grave to show the children what dead meant. Nit sure I'd like to go that far but she had a point.

I have had a few emails from here recently. I emailed them back to say we had no choice any more and they want me to ring them. Is there any point?

post-13453-0-96378700-1373612147_thumb.jpg

Don't staff have to be done through Ofsted? Whys that?

This never has been the case ...the levels of checks on the registered body are higher than that of an employee. Ofsted are the 'unbrella' body but they only organise the checks for those in a position of authority we have always had to manage the checks on staff.

Has anyone made a decision on who is going to pay the charges??

Employee - as the DBS belongs to them?

Or

Employer - as it's you who needs them to have DBS clearance?

And don't forget the yearly charge to the update service, again Employee or Employer?

When the crb's came out we were told that they were subsidised but i chose to take them on as part of the conditions of employment so i would expect to pay for them....CRB's belong to the person who they are for not the employer so really nothing has changed in that. Although if you have trustees/committee who have a DBS for something else it could be transferable which should be an advantage. Although it is another expense i cannot see on the wages we pay that i can expect anyone else to fork out for them.

This never has been the case ...the levels of checks on the registered body are higher than that of an employee. Ofsted are the 'unbrella' body but they only organise the checks for those in a position of authority we have always had to manage the checks on staff.

When the crb's came out we were told that they were subsidised but i chose to take them on as part of the conditions of employment so i would expect to pay for them....CRB's belong to the person who they are for not the employer so really nothing has changed in that. Although if you have trustees/committee who have a DBS for something else it could be transferable which should be an advantage. Although it is another expense i cannot see on the wages we pay that i can expect anyone else to fork out for them.

Are you going to pay the yearly charge for the update service as well then finleysmaid?

Are you going to pay the yearly charge for the update service as well then finleysmaid?

there is no clarity on wether we will HAVE to do this as yet....my feeling is that if i have a member who already has one from another position then i might so that i can use their existing dbs....but i do not know at present if we will be TOLD to update our staff annually ....whereas at the moment we just get them to do a handwritten declaration....which costs me nothing!!

Thank you too Rea. Despite all the posts about DBS on here I didn't realise I could no longer use TMG. They sent me new forms so I assumed that was what I use. I've just applied for someone so that will obviously come winging it's way back again.

Spiral, sorry I gave you the wrong information. You live and learn!

Oh dear I'm so confused. Let's see if I'm right...

The registered person must be DBS checked through Ofsted and it can only be done by Captita.

Everyone else (new employees, volunteers etc) can be checked by TMG or whoever we have always used.

Yes?

Oh dear I'm so confused. Let's see if I'm right...

The registered person must be DBS checked through Ofsted and it can only be done by Captita.

Everyone else (new employees, volunteers etc) can be checked by TMG or whoever we have always used.

Yes?

yes as long as your volunteers do not form part of your registered body......this has always been the case it's just that we are now expected to sort out the 'ofsted' ones ourselves and pay for them whereas ofsted used to do this bit...so all the people that you used to do through ofsted stillhave to be done through ofsted...IYSWIM!! well thats the way i've read it....happy to be told im wrong!!

there is no clarity on wether we will HAVE to do this as yet....my feeling is that if i have a member who already has one from another position then i might so that i can use their existing dbs....but i do not know at present if we will be TOLD to update our staff annually ....whereas at the moment we just get them to do a handwritten declaration....which costs me nothing!!

If the handwritten declaration is enough .....I'm wondering if the staff member should pay for the update service as it will be up to them if they want to have a 'portable' DBS certificate BUT.... I had a brief update from our LEA who advise that everyone should sign up to the update service as that is the whole point of the system, to be portable and as any convictions will be on-line within 7 days (I think it was 7) it will form a major part in safeguarding, this is why I think Ofsted will see it as 'good practice'

And as confirmed on here before committee MUST have a DBS certificate and yes it does cost them

MUST write in to your staffing policies about who is going to pay

MUST have a social media policy

MUST have a recruitment of ex-offenders policy .... anyone??

So basically we've just got to pay for it all and get on with it!!

We had a recruitment of ex offenders policy.. was part of our agreement when we originally signed up with TMG that we had one... they provided it and we adapted it.. That was a long time ago now...

the rest.. well another expenditure with no income to cover it...here they are wanting cheaper childcare, but keep adding costs to providers at every turn..

• 2 weeks later...

From the 2 sessions I have attended recently we have been told that it is the DBS that charge £44. If you are using an umbrella body i.e. Capita they have their own charges which include admin and vat, and add up to £52.29. All new staff can apply on line for their certificate and pay the fee if the nursery is not doing so. Within 14 days of receiving their certificate they must go on the DBS register if they wish their certificate to be 'portable' at a cost of another £13. So the reality of the charges is really 52.29 + 13.00. It is the responsibility of the staff member to renew annually and pay the fee, if the nursery is not covering it. Existing staff can stay with their current CRB. It is only when they change jobs they will be required to apply on line for their DBS and decide whether or not they need the annual update.

I had seen posts about changes on here previously but put my head in the sand and thought TMG and Ofsted would inform us when the changes were happening.

I thought wrong. Just had a crb sent back for a volunteer due to start in September. I need to pay 17 pounds. TMG never sent me anything.

I will pay this one but will need to think about what to do for future.

buttercup

I've finally registered for TMG crb online although it wasn't straight forward when I logged in so I rang and they talked me through the process which seems very simple now! They also confirmed that it would be £12.60 for volunteers and £56.60 for paid staff.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)