Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS checks.. who pays?

Sorry if this has already been brought up.. I have tried to search the item but nothing came up.

Just wondering how settings are going about paying for the new DBS checks? Are you as a setting paying for them or are the employees paying from them?

Our committee have agreed to pay for all employees checks and any new employees will be paid for but if they leave within the 6 months probation period they have to pay the money back to the pre-school.

I have also seen that individuals can take their current check to another employer if they are registered with the DBS update service.

Its good practice to get them updated and checked every three years... will you be checking them?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reminder, I keep meaning to take a proper look at the site.

I've been wondering the same thing, who pays?

I think if its a yearly thing playgroup will pay to initially register and then it will be up to staff, but I'm not too sure yet.

We will be doing it because its a condition of funding in Birmingham that CRBs are renewed every 3 years!

I've just been taking a look. Its not very clear how or who to register with.

Gov.co.uk says its £13 but doesn't say much else so a bit more digging around might be necessary!

from what I understand the individual person can register for £13 and organisations do not have to register.

My worry is that we have had quite a turn around of staff this year and so far it would of cost the pre-school around £200 in checks and that is without updating current employees.

I brought it up with the committee and they very much felt the pre-school should pay for them as we are quite a low pay. But I now have to try and find this money in the budget :-S

They are free until 28 June 2013 and then after that enhanced CRBs are £44.00. If individuals join the Update Service it allows them to "reuse their DBS certificates when applying for similar jobs. I believe the Update Services sign up fee is £13.00.

As the new DBS certificates can "travel" with staff I am minded to have new employees pay for their checks or as others have said repay the setting if they leave before a certain time period otherwise this is going to become a cost black hole for settings.

• Like 1

Make sure you use the correct forms! I sent off a form to TMG hoping to beat the charges that come in this week. They sent it back because it was an 'invalid' form, even though they had sent it to me originally. As far as I can see, its the same form but with Disclosure and Barring Service instead of CRB printed on it.

• Like 1

I'm confused :(

So someone new starts at Pre-school - do we

A) still get them to do a CRB through Capita/TMG?

Or

B) if they already have a CRB - do the setting register with DBS and check to see if ok

Perhaps we will get some info from LEA at some point in time!

Guest sn0wdr0p

Capita will charge us around £55 to undertake new DBS checks. (Can't remember the exact amount as the info is at work). I can still do them online with Capita as I have always done. I am interviewing staff this week and hope to do the checks before Friday after which the new charges will apply. I will pay for checks under the DBS but I like the idea of passing the cost on if a staff member moves on within 6 months.

my thought was for staff to pay (I wouldn't mind at £13) as it's transferable so 'belongs' to them now (rather than the setting as is currently)

I've not delved in to the how's etc for clearances before Friday - was going to use the on line system I use now and see how that pans out! Fingers crossed!

I am going to call capita in the morning and find out what it means for staff who already have a CRB check. Do they need to have DBS check?

From what I have read, its the pre-school/charity that will be out of pot as I cant see employees wanting to pay for the initial £50 for a check and then an annual £13 charge. They are on a lower enough wage as it is with out this too.

Will let you know how I get one.

I think the initial reasoning was to save people who had one CRB for scouts ahving to have another one for volunteering in school. Registering with the DBS means they can just have their current CRB rechecked if they've paid the £13 registartion fee, they can then be rechecked as often as ecessary over the year for any new volunteering they do.

I could be very wrong though, I'm going on what I remember reading last year when it was first mooted.

ok I've had a peek and as I understand it

new applicants who don't hold a CRB/DBS certificate need to apply (cost of £44) and then they can also register for the status check (free at time of the check, £13 yearly fee onwards) ideal if they plan on leaving or are supply for several settings

For an employer to check on someone who holds a certificate (you need the number as reference) it's free of charge

...is this only available if the staff is registered (i.e has paid the £13?) or will they show up on the system anyway using the DBS certificate number

I'm joining the 'confused' queue!!

EDIT: this was useful - looks like they need to have registered (paid the £13 if they already have a certificate)

Next question - is this only available for certificates generated after June 17 - or can old CRB holders register - I can't find that question in the guide but it has been a long day so apologies if it's obvious!

Edited by gingerbreadman

oh my goodness - the initial info i had never mention the ridiculous costs associated with the DBS - yet another way of the gov getting money . We use Capita and yet they did not get contract for this - I did notice when doing online check recently there was an extra button re: DBS and then a charge came up ???

Basically as I have read the info on gov.uk - employee register for an ANNUAL fee of £13 - volunteers free and employers need register - have sent it all to committtee to filter through and hopefully we can come up with some common knowledge - aaargh !!!!!

just reading through Capita FAQ - it states that individuals can only register for update service with 2 weeks of their issue of certificate so that means those of us who already have certs issued ages ago can't !! surely that can't be right ?????

Edited by lashes2508

right just spoken to Capita - firstly for those of you who had their certificate issued over 2weeks ago - in my case nearly 2 years - apply online before the 1st July to get it for free - and then you can apply for update register for £13

volunteers will not be free - so all committee members will pay admin fee of approx £7.50 this may vary depending on who you use.

unless staff personally pay to use update service - full costs apply

employers wil no longer get certificate sent to them or be able to download but will notice if something is amiss as it will state not clear - cert no can be viewed but not cert itself.

the employee will need to be asked for their certficate by employer.

so this is the future of safeguarding is it - children, vulnerable adults will now be at more risk - off to paint my placard !!!!

• Like 1

I'm not happy about an admin fee for volunteers! Its difficult enough to get them, without having to charge them for the privilege, Its not an expense playgroup could keep absorbing :(

It just seems that we seem to paying out more and more every year. For a charity run pre-school, I now have to try and find money in our budget to pay for these checks, where it will come from I don't know :-S

Thanks for everyone's input, don't know what I would do with out you all :-)

I was told by Ofsted that as from 1st July all committee DBS checks will cost £52.00!!!

WHAT!!!! I do hope not- all our committee are standing down this week- better get the new ones done straight away

If we have any new committee, which I am beginning to seriously doubt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)