Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS checks.. who pays?

Having just read through all the DBS stuff and it says that eligible volunteers will be free. Surely committee members will be classed as volunteers

well thats how i read it too.....

Checks for eligible volunteers are free of charge. This includes anyone who spends time helping people and:

• isn’t being paid (apart from travel and other approved out of pocket expenses)
  • isn’t just looking after a close relative

From what we've found out volunteers are free of charge for the actually check but there is an admin charge for the application - the list of organisations seems endless and there is a big difference in admin charges. £8.50 is a good charge compared to some of the others :(

I spoke to ofsted yesterday as very concerned regarding the issue of certificates within last 2 weeks - ofsted lady also not happy about this and said it did not make sense !!! she confirmed that committee members although volunteers would still need an enhanced check - if they currently hold a enhanced crb - only update and admin fee and that anyone who currently holds a certificate could also be updated - i'm still awaiting a call back

committee members are volunteers but they need an enhanced check

Today, I rang Ofsted re charges for new DBS- wait for it: As committee are the registered person/body they are NOT classed as volunteers and will cost us/them £52+ for this. We will still send in a EY2 for each new committee member then instead of sending them/us a disclosure when appropriate we will be directed to their online site for the DBS part and that is when the charges will kick in. TMG will charge 12.50 admin charge for volunteers & 55.60 for staff.

I think it sounds as if we all should be ringing Ofsted about this. It's ridiculous - surely the definition of a volunteer is someone who gives up their time for free, no matter what they are doing. As long as they don't get paid for being on the committee they are surly volunteers? Perhaps if we all shout loudly enough then they might hear us!

• Like 2

I think it sounds as if we all should be ringing Ofsted about this. It's ridiculous - surely the definition of a volunteer is someone who gives up their time for free, no matter what they are doing. As long as they don't get paid for being on the committee they are surly volunteers? Perhaps if we all shout loudly enough then they might hear us!

Could we not start a petition up to let them and the government know that we aren't happy about more money having to be spent out.

What? Petition this government asking for costs to be reduced to the working man or woman? Ok, I'll sign ;)

it may not get us anywhere.. but if we don't stand up and shout then nothing will ever change :-( Im wiling to give it ago if anyone knows how to set up a petition online.. cos I haven't got a clue lol x

I think you would need to be very sure of the facts first, then need to word the title carefully so as to rule out any ambiguity. When I have signed one of those online petitions I'm sure I have seen. 'Start your own' type of thing.

I think bombarding Ofsted with questions is a reasonable start

Still confused :( it doesn't take much! xD

My CRB is approx. 8 years old we aren't allowed to do 'on-line' CRB applications as we don't have access to the internet on site so have to do paper CRB's

My 'contract' is with Capita for employees

So what if anything am I supposed to be doing now?

As 'Registered person' am I meant to be registering the setting with the DBS?

As an employee am I meant to be registering with DBS?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but don't think my brain can take much more change at the moment!

Or can I hide it all away and forget about it until we need to employ someone (which I very much doubt will ever happen with our numbers!!)

Theres precious little real information out there, its blo*dy typical, leave it to us to hunt down everything we should know.

Without the FSF we'd be bug*ered :ph34r:

• Like 5

actually if Ofsted are no longer paying or really checking up on committee's what happens to those of us who are mangers and were checked by ofsted? Do they still keep overall control of our checks or do we now have to go through the process of updating like everybody else. I was told that I could not get re-checked every three year like I do my staff as Ofsted have me on their system and they get automatically updated if there were any concerns about me. Which I have always found to be a little nuts as being the manager I would think I needed checking more carefully than anyone else. I tried to update myself any way and no one would do it!!! so again back to my question do Ofsted still cover me?? should and could I join update service especially seen as my CRB is about 5 years old.

the information on the ofsted website is that we do not need to be re-done and that the 3 year recheck is a myth! i haven't had my crb redone in 14 years! and been inspected many times in that period. Yes the manager and registered body will still be passed through ofsted and then passed on to the dbs service (for new members)

Haha - just noticed my gaffe! "Surly volunteers". Haha, I hope not!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just contacted TMG regarding a volunteer (student) starting in sept, so asked about committee members whilst on there, the volunteer can be done at a cost of £18 admin, but only if not gaining a qualification out of it, or enhancing their own cv (will be £56 if doing this, so now its down to my conscience ). As for the committee, you only need to crb check your officers as these usually make up the registered body, when i questioned why we didnt have to do all members now (this is what id always been led to believe by ofsted) i was told we'd never had to do all committee members, only if they were in once a week or more and left in a supervisory role with children did they have to have a crb check, but if we still want all our committee checked put them through as voluntary parent helpers to only pay for admin....so now im even more confused as i always thought the whole committee was the registered body ???

Hi Mouse - I queried this with ofsted only last week and was informed that all committee members must have a DBS or CRB ( as it was before ) as they all form part of the registered body whether or not they have any contact with the children , we have put all of ours through as volunteers as that what they are and we use capita and is £8.50, only if any of your committee members already hold an enhanced crb by ofsted within the last 3 months it will not need to be done again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)