Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS checks.. who pays?

Thanks lashes....but really ONLY last 3 months ? So this means all the committee that joined last year and are planning to stay on this year will need checks done again :( and totally contradicts the information TMG gave me this afternoon, have yours definately gone through as volunteers and only admin charge ? but now it doesn't make sense that if committee have to redo theirs why aren't they asking for staff to redo as a must .

Can I also ask if you've registered with capita direct or still going via Ofsted. Ta

Hi Mouse - I queried this with ofsted only last week and was informed that all committee members must have a DBS or CRB ( as it was before ) as they all form part of the registered body whether or not they have any contact with the children , we have put all of ours through as volunteers as that what they are and we use capita and is £8.50, only if any of your committee members already hold an enhanced crb by ofsted within the last 3 months it will not need to be done again.

3 MONTHS!!!!

Is this an Ofsted or Capita statement do you know?

My own CRB is over 9 years old, all staff are over 5 years at least - have checked with Ofsted and with inspector at last inspection and they were absolutely fine about it, they both said no need to re-do it was a myth - unless of course there was any concerns.

• Like 1

I am really fed up with all this conflicting, contradicting, confusing information surrounding crb (or dbs - whichever its meant to be, even that changes depending on who you ask ) given out by different agencies gggrrrrrrrr

SNAP :angry:

In days gone-by I would've asked my LEA advisor, but that help virtually doesn't exist anymore - this forum is the only place for info, oh and my PLA advisor ^_^

• Like 1

We have the lea advisor but no pla one for years, but afraid to ask really in case I get another different reply.....think ill try ofsted later :/

Just out of interest, were you planning on getting all your staff re-checked?

and if so, are you paying for the DBS check and the update service?

Just off the phone to Ofsted who have told me :

- No committee member or staff member needs checks to be re-done unless we ourselves have a reason/concern and want to re-do one or there has been a complaint.

- All new committee members need to be checked as part of the registered body.

- Committee members will only be charged at Capita's admin fee as volunteers, UNLESS they get any form of payment including discounted childcare charges at the setting, if they complete form as a volunteer and its found later they were

receiving any form of payment this will have serious consequences for your registration.

Thumperrabbit, I hadnt given any thought to re-doing staff as it wasnt a 'must do', I think i'll give them the option to fund their own if they want to go there, I guess new staff will get DBS check, then up to them to renew, but think i'll leave committee to make that decision.

• Like 3

sorry mouse - reread my post - what i meant was that we have new committee members so all need to go via ofsted ( capita) for enhanced check - if they already hold a DBS check or CRB that has been issued by ofsted within the last 3 months then no need which is unlikely . Exisiting member do not need reapply x

ah i see, sorry misread that, thought the bit about disounted fees was interesting, will cause some settings something to think about as from reading various threads some people do give this to committee members, so would presume those people wont now actually hold a valid crb as not really volunteers.

• 4 weeks later...

the link is here

http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/Step-One

Does anyone know how i apply for a Capita organisation reference number? Have to say the rest of the info is quite useful and reasonably clear. Trustees and committee should not have to pay...but of course we have to pay an application fee every time we put in another request so that will add up....lucky old Capita for winning the contract eh?

• 2 months later...

Have just found this chat having already posted my question below on another forum...ooops: so

Does anyone have any information regarding CRB's/DBS for new committee members?? I have recently sent EY2's to OFSTED for our massive grand total of 4 new committee members!! and they have returned requesting a fee of £52.....can this be correct?? Have I done something wrong?? Please any help would be appreciated......

I can't imagine that the 4 new members will stay and we were very very desperate in the first place; and now they have to pay for the pleasure!! We are a charity pre-school with no money; we can't possibly afford this bill!! What to do??

Thanks finleysmaid....I had missed the link to what to do with them, but now I'm wondering what the 'capita organisation reference' is and should I have one too ?

Pippin, my committee said they were asked to pay £52 but only ended up paying £8, will ask one of them what they did and let you know if you haven't had an answer earlier.

Thanks finleysmaid....I had missed the link to what to do with them, but now I'm wondering what the 'capita organisation reference' is and should I have one too ?

Pippin, my committee said they were asked to pay £52 but only ended up paying £8, will ask one of them what they did and let you know if you haven't had an answer earlier.

Thank you Mouse63, I would be very interested to know.....otherwise I can see no committee at all ahead!!

Okay sorry for my delay in responding.

I spoke to Ofsted, existing committee do not have to reapply.

All new members will have to pay an admin fee of £8.50, but no other charge.

( that's kind of them seeing as they are volunteering.)

Anyone receiving a new DBS clearance has the option to register for the update service which is £13.50 per year, but they must do this within 2 weeks.

I also asked if new committee members but with existing clearances from other sectors needed to be redone.

I was told to send the original certificates in and they will let me know.

Out of 5 new committee, 4 have already been cleared via social services, colleges or our local CC, so keeping fingers crossed they might be valid.:)

Okay sorry for my delay in responding.

I spoke to Ofsted, existing committee do not have to reapply.

All new members will have to pay an admin fee of £8.50, but no other charge.

( that's kind of them seeing as they are volunteering.)

Anyone receiving a new DBS clearance has the option to register for the update service which is £13.50 per year, but they must do this within 2 weeks.

I also asked if new committee members but with existing clearances from other sectors needed to be redone.

I was told to send the original certificates in and they will let me know.

Out of 5 new committee, 4 have already been cleared via social services, colleges or our local CC, so keeping fingers crossed they might be valid.:)

Thank you Fredbear, this is very helpful...I will pursue this end.

So are Ofsted still doing Committee CRB checks?

Well, they told me to send committee EY2 forms to them and then they would send the committee member a 'link' directly for them to follow to apply; my committee have received these links with information that suggests a £52 charge however, following the info above I will be ringing again tomorrow and checking it all out again!!

Have today confirmed with OFSTED that committee members are classed as 'volunteers' and should only pay the admin fee; thanks to all for your help with this matter; very relieved that we now keep our members!!

Thanks Fred bear have been directed to a portal which explains it all now just got to find out where the letter with our reference number is for applying to them otherwise I'll need to ring them. I understand there's no paper copies now and you just have to apply online .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)