Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-Schools staying open!!!

We have taken the decision to open.  How long we can do this if we are only going to be paid for those attending I don't know.  Everyone keeps saying wait and see - we are attending meetings.  What other business would open not knowing what money they have coming in.  If the Government stick to their guns and keep to only paying for those attending - who is going to pay the shortfall of our wages, bills etc.  I'm sure our staff who are totally committed to the children  will not be happy, landlords are not going to be impressed.

I love my job and I don't know anyone of us who hasn't and isn't subsidising our PreSchool's by buying equipment, paper etc 

At some point someone will have to take notice.    

The figures for transmission rates in education settings - prior to the new strain - shows that Early Years settings accounted for 10% of outbreaks. It would be nice, to say the least, to see what it might be now as it is more transmittable. Also the same discussion on the news stated that because most Early Years staff are young there is a reduced risk of staff developing severe symptoms if they do catch the virus. In all my time in Early Years I would sat tgat the average age of staff I have worked with was 40+ with a good bunch nearing 60 or more.

46 minutes ago, Fluffmonster said:

The figures for transmission rates in education settings - prior to the new strain - shows that Early Years settings accounted for 10% of outbreaks. It would be nice, to say the least, to see what it might be now as it is more transmittable. Also the same discussion on the news stated that because most Early Years staff are young there is a reduced risk of staff developing severe symptoms if they do catch the virus. In all my time in Early Years I would sat tgat the average age of staff I have worked with was 40+ with a good bunch nearing 60 or more.

Welcome Fluffmonster , Do you have the links for this info please?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Welcome Fluffmonster , Do you have the links for this info please?

The file is too big to upload - I cannot find the other one I read about the younger age of staff, I thought it was in the same article - it is a BBC News report entitled 'Covid: How Long Will Nurseries Stay Open?' from 2 days ago

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fluffmonster said:

The file is too big to upload - I cannot find the other one I read about the younger age of staff, I thought it was in the same article - it is a BBC News report entitled 'Covid: How Long Will Nurseries Stay Open?' from 2 days ago

The Public Health England report 'Weekly National Influenza and Covid 19 Surveillance Report - Week 53 report(up to week 52 data) 31 December 2020' also shows the levels of infections in the different age groups. The under 5s are not far off the 5-9 age groups in case numbers. Sorry, again the file is too large to attach.

• Thanks 1

How is everyone doing?

My LA have finally confirmed that they will be paying the funding for the children who are not coming for the time being. One of mine is not coming back but going to her childminder for a while until the situation changes and another is not coming back because granny is seriously ill with cancer and mum wants to see her dad but feels she can't if the girls are at school (one with me and one at primary).  I will be putting together packs for these children to do at home which I can do as I'm only a small setting with 2 funded children not coming back and 4 members of staff. I have been very lucky that my staff can come back, they all have children at secondary school (home) with one having a primary school child who has gone back and seems to be doing well. 

I can't believe how many of my children have come back especially the 25% whose parents are not working. I think they have all been lulled into a false sense of security when they hear that children do not seem to be, either, getting it or suffering with it. I think the figures are so low because parents would probably rather keep their children at home for 14 (or 10) days rather than having a test for them. If I could keep them at home I think I would rather than taking them for a test - especially when the nearest testing centres to here were miles away. 

I waver on a daily basis between thinking we should be there to WTAF are we doing being open. The school next door has 150/300 pupils in compared to about 25 during the first lockdown. Therefore my parents who have children at both are able to have the day child free to work (play) at home. I keep dropping subtle hints that by being there looking after their children I am not seeing my mum or sister (who is disabled) just in case their snotty child who is still coming in is a carrier.

Anyway, off to work I go with a smile on my face - which the parents can't see as it's behind a mask :) :) 

• Like 2

I know on Wednesday they had the debate in Parliament around the reason EY are staying open. Within that discussion it was said that they would publish the evidence that EY aren't a high contributor regarding Covid, therefore showing we are "safe" to be open. Does anyone know if they have finally published this evidence?

I did have a google but couldn't find anything recent. 

On 15/01/2021 at 11:20, littlerainbows said:

I know on Wednesday they had the debate in Parliament around the reason EY are staying open. Within that discussion it was said that they would publish the evidence that EY aren't a high contributor regarding Covid, therefore showing we are "safe" to be open. Does anyone know if they have finally published this evidence?

I did have a google but couldn't find anything recent. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/950600/Reported_coronavirus__COVID-19__cases_by_registered_early_years_and_childcare_settings_.csv/preview

there’s this, but it hasn’t been updated since Christmas. 

22 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I'm not sure anyone can actually say what the rates of covid in the under 5's are since many people have not had their small children tested.

Yup.  👍🏼

• Like 1

For me, it is about staff not so much children.  It does seem that the younger children are, the less likely they are to catch or become ill with coronavirus.  But we have a staff team of 18 ranging in age from early twenties to mid fifties.  We are the ones who are at risk by dealing every day with the public.   I know some of our parents are not keeping to lockdown rules.  Our local authority are looking after their own, in terms of testing and vaccination.  I know Children's Centre staff who are working from home but have been given priority vaccine appointments.  Then PVI settings are just left to it.  We were promised home tests delivered to us at nursery, but then it was decided this would only be for nurseries linked to primary schools.  Not only are we super-immune in Early Years, if you work in a PVI setting, you have some special magical immunity.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

For me, it is about staff not so much children.  It does seem that the younger children are, the less likely they are to catch or become ill with coronavirus.  

Well the problem is that we don't actually KNOW this! Although i agree it appears more likely that staff are getting it from other staff or parents, there is no conclusive proof that we aren't getting it from the children.

We have currently had to close because i have 3 vulnerable members of staff...i cannot put them at risk. (may i just add at this point that the two oldest are not in this category!!!) I hope to partially reopen shortly as long as the rates keep going down in our area (currently at the top of the sliding scale!!!)

2 hours ago, Stargrower said:

But we have a staff team of 18 ranging in age from early twenties to mid fifties.   

Our staff start from 50 upwards! 

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I hope to partially reopen shortly as long as the rates keep going down in our area (currently at the top of the sliding scale!!!)

Well, at last we are coming down on the scale - but I worry our parents will become complacent and very soon start sending back :(   At one point we were number one in the East of England - we are now 13th. 

We currently have a total of 11 out of 43 attending, spaced out over the week with 7 max per day.   

We are a BIG hall, and I'm not going to lie we are currently offering a 'babysitting service'. We've dived the hall in two..... us/them!!!  It's working well for us, we all feel safe, and the children are more than happy to just literally play all day with very limited staff interactions 🙀. For example we do a group story time- but it's well distanced form the children - where as before we would do very small groups sitting on the sofa with them etc.  Close-up one-to-one had stopped.  All the doors and windows are open all day.... and we are finally getting used to the cold 🤣

In short. Staff are able to social distance, both from each other and the children on the whole.... the children just play as normal in dens etc.

• Thanks 1

This graph worried me, it’s a graph of age groups in intensive care, I guess because the 45-65 age group are the oldest out there working still and like many of us can’t stay at home :’( I can’t find a more recent one.

6E021450-7BF4-4490-8CFE-B8EB2E0F46D3.jpeg

Edited by Mouseketeer

Does anyone think the media getting hold of it (finally) will make any difference? I can’t see us moving to KW chn only now if they have plans for wider school opening after half term 🤷‍♀️ Maybe they should look at most affected areas...stay well everyone 🤞

19 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Does anyone think the media getting hold of it (finally) will make any difference? I can’t see us moving to KW chn only now if they have plans for wider school opening after half term 🤷‍♀️ Maybe they should look at most affected areas...stay well everyone 🤞

In all honesty - no x

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Don't think schools will be open till after easter!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this article In the guardian posted on the Early Years Alliance twitter feed. I think it sums things up perfectly. Please take a look. A few quotes -

Nurseries are now the second most common location for people contracting the virus, behind supermarkets.“

” Early education is apparently so essential that it must continue even when schools are closed – but not essential enough to be run as a universal public service, or for the government to step in as private providers implode.” 

“The incredible people who wipe away my son’s tears deserve so much better than this.“

E58B7508-908E-4BB9-9CD0-715EBE952691.png

D470881E-2A96-4163-8C5F-D253A647957E.png

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)