Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

September opening

anju

Hi,

do people think the guidance for early years will change again before September? Or are you working on the assumption that the latest version (2nd July I think) will stand and the only big difference is no bubbles but other measures still should remain eg avoiding children and staff attending two settings, staggered starts, minimise visitors etc? Settling new children will be a challenge! I’m thinking of trying to dissuade returning children’s parents from coming in, having a socially distanced queuing system, only having even new children’s parents where really necessary, only one parent per child, no siblings if possible etc 

3 minutes ago, anju said:

Hi,

do people think the guidance for early years will change again before September? Or are you working on the assumption that the latest version (2nd July I think) will stand and the only big difference is no bubbles but other measures still should remain eg avoiding children and staff attending two settings, staggered starts, minimise visitors etc? Settling new children will be a challenge! I’m thinking of trying to dissuade returning children’s parents from coming in, having a socially distanced queuing system, only having even new children’s parents where really necessary, only one parent per child, no siblings if possible etc 

Hi anju

I wish we knew if there will be new guidance, I am loathe to put too much time into planning for September until we know where we are.

Well that was a less than helpful reply 🤦‍♀️ sorry

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Hi anju

I wish we knew if there will be new guidance, I am loathe to put too much time into planning for September until we know where we are.

Well that was a less than helpful reply 🤦‍♀️ sorry

Not at all! I feel the same - wondering whether to review the blasted risk assessment and all the other stuff or just leave it til nearer the time, but then I don’t like leaving stuff til the end of the holiday 😬

• Like 1

I completely agree. It’s so hard as I’ve been transparent with parents and been in contact with returners and new parents, but it is all such an Unknown quantity. We have 22 new children set to start and to Make ends Meet we really have to try to settle them by half term. 
we have a lot of 2 year olds this years who won’t have even attended play groups. My mind is whirring how to Make this work.  At present, with social distancing restrictions for grown ups I have no idea how we can accommodate the parents.  Will parents even be allowed in? They weren’t before we broke up. 
it was reassuring to see your comment. Keep in touch.

• Like 2

just in case you haven't seen this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures

It does say quite clearly that from the 20th July that small consistent bubbles are no longer required and normal group sizes can be resumed. although it also asks us to limit mixing groups (not sure how that works!!) 

in terms of planning i think the "system of control"  process seems to be the way to go and new parents would be required to follow a set of guidelines (sanitise SD wear mask?) prospective parents would need to leave enough information for tack and trace.(gdpr???)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

just in case you haven't seen this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures

It does say quite clearly that from the 20th July that small consistent bubbles are no longer required and normal group sizes can be resumed. although it also asks us to limit mixing groups (not sure how that works!!) 

in terms of planning i think the "system of control"  process seems to be the way to go and new parents would be required to follow a set of guidelines (sanitise SD wear mask?) prospective parents would need to leave enough information for tack and trace.(gdpr???)

I thought I’d replied but can’t see my reply for some reason. Thank you for this; no I hadn’t seen it (had been relying on the local authority to send us these updates as they say they are, but nothing received unfortunately).

I can’t see parents signing up new children without physically visiting the setting and it’s going to be difficult to re settle children who won’t have been in for the best part of six months, without their parents supporting them by coming through the door. I will probably go with what you say and have protective measures like hand sanitiser, encourage social distancing where possible etc. It seems clear that physical visits are not desirable though.

“Parents and carers should not be allowed into the setting unless this is essential, and children should be dropped off and collected at the door if possible.“

“Settings should consider providing virtual tours for prospective parents and carers wishing to visit the setting for September admissions.“

It’s also still saying SALT visitors and others shouldn’t come unless ‘essential’ - what is deemed essential? 

I still wonder if this will change again before September. 

feeing stressed 😩 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anju said:

I still wonder if this will change again before September

We’ll probably receive updated guidance at 7pm on Friday 4th Sept as we start back on the 7th 🥺

I’m thinking about splitting the group in 2 bubbles in preparation, that will give less than 30 per bubble over the week in case that’s where we are come Sept, all well and good if we’re not, my only concern there is the way we had to split the room probably doesn’t give enough floor space in each area due to more 2 yr olds, though not all in everyday so will check the indoor floor space available to each bubble and see if the max number of chn we’d have per session will work and also allocate key children according to who’s bubble they will be in (regardless of the previous sibling connection).....does that make sense? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a copy and paste job from info that I am sending parents

Parents/visitors:

Guidance states Parents and carers should not be allowed into the setting unless this is essential, children should be dropped off and collected at door if possible’

This should be workable with our returning children, however, parents of ‘new’ children, will, of course, be permitted to enter the setting in order to settle their children in. In the interests of safety we will expect parents of new children to stand by the open fire exit and not interact with other children please and to minimise the amount of time spent in the setting.

Guidance states ‘Wherever possible, settings are encouraged to avoid visitors entering their premises’

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

We’ll probably receive updated guidance at 7pm on Friday 4th Sept as we start back on the 7th 🥺

This is definitely going to happen 🤦‍♀️

I am going ahead with planning to the latest guidance - I simply cannot have this hanging over my head all summer - I will have to do a quick 'update' doc if necessary 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

I am going ahead with planning to the latest guidance - I simply cannot have this hanging over my head all summer - I will have to do a quick 'update' doc if necessary 

I’m going to have plan A through to Z at this rate 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Sounds like a plan to me.  I know that when we were starting school again on the 1st June although the guidance kept changing it would be change that could be made to our main documents rather than a whole new document being written.

With the benefit of hindsight I would suggest having one of those date fields in a footer somewhere that automatically updates itself so that you can tell which version of what you're looking at is the latest one.  Calling it 'version 2, 3, 428' etc. doesn't help much when you're not sure which version you are on!

• Like 2

On 26/07/2020 at 13:22, sunnyday said:

This is a copy and paste job from info that I am sending parents

Parents/visitors:

Guidance states Parents and carers should not be allowed into the setting unless this is essential, children should be dropped off and collected at door if possible’

This should be workable with our returning children, however, parents of ‘new’ children, will, of course, be permitted to enter the setting in order to settle their children in. In the interests of safety we will expect parents of new children to stand by the open fire exit and not interact with other children please and to minimise the amount of time spent in the setting.

Guidance states ‘Wherever possible, settings are encouraged to avoid visitors entering their premises’

Thank you very much for this - really helpful 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Froglet said:

Sounds like a plan to me.  I know that when we were starting school again on the 1st June although the guidance kept changing it would be change that could be made to our main documents rather than a whole new document being written.

With the benefit of hindsight I would suggest having one of those date fields in a footer somewhere that automatically updates itself so that you can tell which version of what you're looking at is the latest one.  Calling it 'version 2, 3, 428' etc. doesn't help much when you're not sure which version you are on!

Good idea about Date in footer 

On 26/07/2020 at 12:24, Mouseketeer said:

I’m thinking about splitting the group in 2 bubbles in preparation, that will give less than 30 per bubble over the week in case that’s where we are come Sept, all well and good if we’re not, my only concern there is the way we had to split the room probably doesn’t give enough floor space in each area due to more 2 yr olds, though not all in everyday so will check the indoor floor space available to each bubble and see if the max number of chn we’d have per session will work and also allocate key children according to who’s bubble they will be in (regardless of the previous sibling connection).....does that make sense? 

Does make sense - so much to wrestle with and take into account 😱

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

Hmmm...…..dressing up clothes - a complete no no or could they be offered and then quarantined for 72 hours? 

I haven’t been having them out since we reopened and the guidance seems same on that. The trouble is our children will attend across the week and ‘cross contaminate’. 

don’t know really - sorry!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, anju said:

I haven’t been having them out since we reopened and the guidance seems same on that. The trouble is our children will attend across the week and ‘cross contaminate’. 

don’t know really - sorry!

Thank you

We have so many (probably too many) 'outfits - what I had in mind was offer a few and then they get quarantined for 72 hours - on the next day offer different ones and so on - think I will probably just forget this to be honest 🤣

3 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Thank you

We have so many (probably too many) 'outfits - what I had in mind was offer a few and then they get quarantined for 72 hours - on the next day offer different ones and so on - think I will probably just forget this to be honest 🤣

That makes sense! That’s a good idea; I’ll think about doing that as well.

I have seen so many FB posts/pictures from people who are setting up their classrooms/environments for September. The rooms are full of resources and soft furnishings (in a pre-Covid way) and looking stunning!  I feel like it’s just me that is not doing anything or thinking ahead to September. (Well I am thinking, but not doing) I refuse to waste time setting up until the last week when we may have different guidance completely.  The rate we are going down here we will be back in lockdown!  What/how are you approaching set up?

• Like 1

Just now, zigzag said:

I have seen so many FB posts/pictures from people who are setting up their classrooms/environments for September. The rooms are full of resources and soft furnishings (in a pre-Covid way) and looking stunning!  I feel like it’s just me that is not doing anything or thinking ahead to September. (Well I am thinking, but not doing) I refuse to waste time setting up until the last week when we may have different guidance completely.  The rate we are going down here we will be back in lockdown!  What/how are you approaching set up?

Haven’t set anything up and my draft risk assessment still says no soft furnishings or soft toys as that’s what the most recent guidance still says. I’d be surprised if that’s loosened with all the stuff around increases in infections tbh. But I’m not finalising  anything And definitely not setting the room up til a few days before term starts.

• Like 1

Same with us. Not that we can set anything up yet anyway 😂

Staff are back on the 2nd Sept, children not in until Mon  7th. We will spend time working out what we'll do then.

Staff are going to be in for a shock though- because they will be expecting an easy few days coming in late, leaving early as no children,  usually I'm very leaneant on non-children days ......... however as they've happily taken the money and not given the setting a second thought throughout our closure, they'll be working full hours!

They will be completely sorting all our resources between them- whilst myself and deputy work on the updating of paperwork (whilst drinking coffee in another room!!!! -Deputy has been fantastic throughout :)  :):)

Ok rant over ....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, zigzag said:

Soft furnishing - nope won't be happening in my setting. I am working on 'resources must be 'throw away', easily cleaned or quarantined for 72 hours'.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, louby loo said:

Same with us. Not that we can set anything up yet anyway 😂

Staff are back on the 2nd Sept, children not in until Mon  7th. We will spend time working out what we'll do then.

Staff are going to be in for a shock though- because they will be expecting an easy few days coming in late, leaving early as no children,  usually I'm very leaneant on non-children days ......... however as they've happily taken the money and not given the setting a second thought throughout our closure, they'll be working full hours!

They will be completely sorting all our resources between them- whilst myself and deputy work on the updating of paperwork (whilst drinking coffee in another room!!!! -Deputy has been fantastic throughout :)  :):)

Ok rant over ....

That sounds perfectly reasonable! Sometimes people have no idea (and don’t bother to find out) how much work and stress there is in trying to work out how your setting is going to survive this, then trying to work out what the guidance means in your particular situation, all the risk assessment, changing guidance, dealing with parents who may not be happy with different arrangements and a million other things. 

sorting out resources takes ages and needs doing so it’s good use of the time

• Like 1

I might need to just stop making plans - has anyone seen today's 'leak' about 'enhanced shielding'? It talks about shielding everyone over 50 - ridiculous idea - what percentage of the working population would that be?

Anyway, if that happened we would be (insert your own choice of expletive here!) as we are all 50+ (for me personally I am 50+++)

It has always been, in my humble, such an advantage to have a 'mature' team - hmm maybe that is not the case anymore.....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

I might need to just stop making plans - has anyone seen today's 'leak' about 'enhanced shielding'? It talks about shielding everyone over 50 - ridiculous idea - what percentage of the working population would that be?

Anyway, if that happened we would be (insert your own choice of expletive here!) as we are all 50+ (for me personally I am 50+++)

It has always been, in my humble, such an advantage to have a 'mature' team - hmm maybe that is not the case anymore.....

At least I have a few spring chickens...47 +49.   🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I’ve also been reading this 🤦‍♀️ I’m the only one the wrong side of 50 but would hate to have to leave my team to get on with it whilst I’m stuck at home, I could continue with a lot of my work at home but I tend to be in ratio a bit more in the Autumn term due to the number of 2yr olds starting ...something else to worry about 🥺

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I’ve also been reading this 🤦‍♀️ I’m the only one the wrong side of 50 but would hate to have to leave my team to get on with it whilst I’m stuck at home, I could continue with a lot of my work at home but I tend to be in ratio a bit more in the Autumn term due to the number of 2yr olds starting ...something else to worry about 🥺

I’m the same as you - I’m the only one over 50 and wouldn’t want to leave them to it and there would be issues if I did do that. Goodness me, what a complicated, worrying situation it is 😬

• Sad 1