Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Payroll

Rafa

My lovely payroll services Lady is retiring in April (lucky her) I am now trying to find someone to do this role for me within my budget!! Not easy so far!  I am wondering if anyone on here  does this job themselves and if so, how easy is it, what do I need to do etc?

i am not at all tec minded and it would need to be simple and automatic - (no working out)!  I only have 5 staff so not too much work I hope.  

Any suggestions ( thought of retiring myself but not yet feasible) on how I could trial it?....

Thank you

My daughter does ours and says it's pretty simple, we use Sage- costs around £12/13 o month I think. She has no actually accounting experience.

I actually give her the staff hours for the month.  It provides the payslips etc, and she also gives me a monthly printout which includes HMCR stuff.

• Thanks 1

Payroll companies tend to be quite reasonable..have you checked them out? they charge per employee and will sort out pensions etc too. Or you could use a system like quick books? my administrotor does ours but there is some skill in sorting it our due to the way we calculate our wages (rolled up pay)

15 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

my administrotor does ours but there is some skill in sorting it our due to the way we calculate our wages (rolled up pay)

Yes, I have to admit we do- worked hours paid monthly, plus 1 week holiday Christmas, 1 week easter, and the rest owing  during the summer break.

On 11/28/2019 at 19:28, zigzag said:

We use the Devon payroll which is part of the Early years alliance. I keep thinking I should do it myself, but I am not confident enough!

I hope you’re  finding Devon Payroll is working well zigzag, I just didn’t feel I was paid enough for the responsibility any longer when the work place pension came in and now with the holiday pay change I’m so glad the committee agreed to outsource to DP ...a huge relief at what I think is a good price for the service I receive  :-) 

• Like 1

I do ours using Sage. For five staff it will be under a tenner a month.  Not sure I’m at all qualified but has been ok so far. Each year I say I’ll ask my accountant to do it, especially as we are now a team of ten and a maternity leave just about fried my brain, but I’m very tight! When I gets to the point that Sage costs the same as the accountant maybe I’ll hand it over but then again calculating the hours is the tricky part for me and if i still have to do that might as well do the whole thing. 

• Thanks 1

We had a Treasurer leave in the middle of summer holidays- so I ended up doing it myself. I would still have to calculate hours for someone each month anyway- so thought I may as well have a go. I use Moneysoft - Payroll- brilliant software that is so easy to use. Does everything for me, HMRC,  our pension contributions payslips, etc. 

I think it costs around £75 + vat per year, Their customer support is pretty good as well. The person who dumped it all in middle of hols left us in a right mess with HMRC (ended up with them thinking 3 of our staff had 2 different jobs with us!) but Moneysoft  CS helped us out greatly to sort it. 

My only criticism of them is they dont do it for a MAC, which I now use. So I've had to keep a very old and slow windows laptop running just to do the payroll.

I have absolutely no accounting experience at all and we have 9 staff. I hink you can do a trial? 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well haven't bit the bullet and took this on myself....yet!, instead have found a company that is going to cost me a lot more than my last payroll service and who so far have not been proactive in answering my emails!, They are due to take my payroll on in April and making me nervous.  Sooo I may just give a Moneysoft or similar a trial over the Easter hols when I have time to see if I can do it!!  Look out Tweetinat I may be on your case..... Soon!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 19:28, zigzag said:

We use the Devon payroll which is part of the Early years alliance. I keep thinking I should do it myself, but I am not confident enough!

Hi zigzag

Are you furloughing staff? If yes do you know if it’s as simple as us telling them who/when from and they’ll do the rest 🤞. Ta

38 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hi zigzag

Are you furloughing staff? If yes do you know if it’s as simple as us telling them who/when from and they’ll do the rest 🤞. Ta

Hi Mouseketeer, I contacted them this week to see if we can furlough staff whilst in receipt of our funding.  She is waiting for more info and will hopefully let us all know next week.  So if we can then yes we will be! Devon payroll have been fabulous haven’t they about keeping us informed.  Such a good service.  So very glad I followed your recommendation. X

5 hours ago, zigzag said:

Hi Mouseketeer, I contacted them this week to see if we can furlough staff whilst in receipt of our funding.  She is waiting for more info and will hopefully let us all know next week.  So if we can then yes we will be! Devon payroll have been fabulous haven’t they about keeping us informed.  Such a good service.  So very glad I followed your recommendation. X

They do provide an excellent service :-) 

I didn’t realize there was a question over furloughing & funding, I thought DfE had confirmed we could do both,  was just hoping they would deal with it rather than me, I’d happily pay as an additional service :-)