Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

eyfs - People who help us

Ria123

Has anyone tried to do this theme of 'people who help  us'  with the 2 year old room?

My manager wants us to follow similar themes as the 3 year old ... but i'm not sure how much of this they would understand...

has anyone else had any experience with this ?

We don't really 'do' themes .... but we have a running 'community' theme. We have so far had visits from an Ambulance crew, the Police, the Fire service, a visually impaired man and his guide dog, the local Postman, an air steward, a dentist. Each time we have a visitor we take lots of photos and when I get them developed (I use Truprint) I get a poster made. The poster is a kind of collage of all the photos. I do one for each room and they have it on the wall so that they children can see and talk about it. For our two year olds we might 'tweak' our role play to include some suitable outfits and props. Other than that, we wouldn't go thematic - unless the children made it clear they were 'playing' with the 'people who help us' idea.

• Like 2

Wow, Rebecca your community theme sounds wonderful!  It's inspired me to think about doing something similar in the new year.

We wouldn't use themes for two-year-olds either (We don't use them for over threes either unless they are showing a strong interest in something particular)

If your manager is insisting on this, you could think about books that are suitable for two-year-olds, small world play and role play maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Wow, Rebecca your community theme sounds wonderful!  It's inspired me to think about doing something similar in the new year.

It is great - we love it. Once you start asking people you find more come along - we'll talk to anyone (O.o) we had the tree surgeon one year! We also go to our local care home and do activities with them twice a month. It's very informal but we feel it's much more effective than a 'mad month' of visits and visitors :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Tree surgeon - love it!  Did he bring a chainsaw? :o:D

My brother-in-law is a tree surgeon and his children love having a day helping daddy - it thoroughly wears them out and the eldest (10) gets to do some serious tree climbing.  They even have a play chainsaw which was a promotional gift from one of the companies he buys from!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rebecca said:

It is great - we love it. Once you start asking people you find more come along - we'll talk to anyone (O.o) we had the tree surgeon one year! We also go to our local care home and do activities with them twice a month. It's very informal but we feel it's much more effective than a 'mad month' of visits and visitors :D

how do you find out what your parents do? we used to ask but since GDPR i've taken it out. None of my parents seem to want to take time off work to come and do anything like this!

13 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

how do you find out what your parents do? we used to ask but since GDPR i've taken it out. None of my parents seem to want to take time off work to come and do anything like this!

Yes, same here.  We have had a mum who is a practice nurse at the local GP and came to talk to the children and bringing lots of things for them to play with.  We have some great photos of children taking each others' blood pressure! :D

But other than that, we've had no takers.  Maybe it's time we asked again...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Idle chit chat! ... and I also collar people at parents evening. Some companies give time off for voluntary work - it's worth asking :D

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Idle chit chat! ... and I also collar people at parents evening. Some companies give time off for voluntary work - it's worth asking :D

no such thing as idle chit chat!!!! one of our most endearing qualities as pre-schools is that we have time to chat:)

Think I might give this another go in January ….feeling rather jealous of your lovely lot!

I invariably had a paragraph on the newsletter suggesting if any parent would like to come in and talk about their occupation they would be welcomed.  Think it scares the pants off of some, but we did have a nurse or two, a dentist and a firefighter , oh and a postman come on board over the years  They loved the community police coming in, we were lucky they were happy to do that, but one was an aunty of one of the children   Mine would have loved a check out mum to come in and talk about what they did, or the park keeper.   Children are invariably happy to engage with anyone with something to say.

Edited by Panders

22 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I DON'T DO FACEBOOK!!!!! reckon i'd be a good candidate for "Hunted" ...I don't do social media and hardly use a mobile phone!

I don't really stalk them xD  Actually we're lucky that we are a smallish group so are able to build up close relationships with parents/carers, so we can work form that. 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2018 at 22:07, finleysmaid said:

I DON'T DO FACEBOOK!!!!! reckon i'd be a good candidate for "Hunted" ...I don't do social media and hardly use a mobile phone!

Me too. I reckon I could hide for a fortnight really easily.

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 15:55, finleysmaid said:

Actually I don't think i'd cope very well with being hunted! although I can start a good fire and have a few forest school skills! maybe if I had a few forumites with me:)

I reckon I would be okay as an accomplice - no Faceache Facebook here either (although one of my lovely daughters-in-law keeps me logged into her account so that I can see what is being said on the village page!)

We would need your fire making skills as I am convinced the only way is to stay out in the countryside away from CCTV - oh and I could only do this in the summer as I don't 'do cold'xD

Apologies Ria - this is not what you were asking about at all - so, in answer to your question perhaps just use books and stories for your two year olds:) I'm not a fan of themes at all really......

• Haha 1

No Facebook here either, or Instagram or Twitter really, I do have a Twitter account, but can't remember why as have never really used it myself!   I'm with Sunnyday, will  need to be summer, and not too much running, not really a runner:o  is it possible to live on bbq'd marshmallows??     Mental note to self, see if we can get Froggie to come with some cakes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)