Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

packed lunches

Hi All

At my current setting children are required to eat their packed lunches in strict order

ie sandwiches / wraps first

fruit

crisps

yoghurt

treats ie cake

They are not even allowed to eat crisps with sandwiches. 

I have always encouraged sandwiches first but not strictly enforced it. 

Are others this strict with packed lunches?   Snack time is also fruit first and then cracker. 

Similar, sandwich/wrap, veg/fruit, yoghurt before any crisps (as wasted if they then decide no longer hungry) and 1 small ‘treat’ (never know what else to refer to it as, though I guess it isn’t right to teach them the unhealthy thing is a treat), any more than 1 then they choose and other/s go home.

Sandwiches (or whatever is obviously their main ) after they have eaten some of it then we would allow crisps (dont you all eat crisps alongside your snadwiches:D) then whatever they want. Although I suppose sometimes this depends on the child- if its one that we know would eat all the crisps and then leave the sandwiches then we would ensure the sandwiches are eaten first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diesel10 said:

Hi All

At my current setting children are required to eat their packed lunches in strict order

ie sandwiches / wraps first

fruit

crisps

yoghurt

treats ie cake

They are not even allowed to eat crisps with sandwiches. 

I have always encouraged sandwiches first but not strictly enforced it. 

Are others this strict with packed lunches?   Snack time is also fruit first and then cracker. 

Gosh this does sound a bit strict!! The issue I have with 'Rules' like this is what happens when you have a child who has eating issues....the rules on fruit and cracker seem a bit crackers too...I have some who after 6 weeks of work with them have still only got to the licking fruit stage!!

Sounds from your OP that you don't agree with the rules either^_^

The issue I have with enforced eating rules is that they could lead to overeating.. that is a lot to eat first to get to a 'treat', and some will eat it all to gt it when they really are not needing that much food. 

(How many grew up with the eat your dinner or you get no pudding-totally illogical and caused so many to overeat. No puddings in our house with a meal, but as a snack occasionally when hungry  or even as a meal on its own! Yes at home we occasionally have a meal of just the pudding, that way we enjoy it to the full  )

It usually came back to educating parents on amounts and contents of boxes to things the child could manage and enjoy. 

Encourage the savoury first, but we never enforced any rules.. We did check the boxes as we said no sweets or fizzy drinks, that some did try to sneak in, but otherwise it was childs choice..  same for snack..encourage the tasting of fruit for those not familiar with it but not enforce any order of eating. 

Edited by Inge