Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outings

C1403

Hello

Can you share your ratios for outings please. I am talking local regular outings to the woods, shop, library etc places the children are familiar with.

Current policy states minimum three adults but I am reviewing the policy after speaking to our adviser. Wondering if we should specify a ratio of 1:4?

Children that normally participate are 3-4 year olds. Our two year olds do not go on outings.

Thanks

Its really depends. I took 11 three year olds to the park last week with one other teacher. the setting is in a rural village and we walked down the lane, through the church to the green. All the children are on a rope. If we on a large outing (farm park) 1;2 or perhaps 1;1.

• Like 1

We are in a park - so can go to playground, woods and country footpaths without going near any roads. when we do these outings it very much depends on which children are going.

We risk assess each group before we go. This might mean we do lots of smaller group outings during the session.

'Offsite outings' we do 1-4 3yrs

1-2 2yrs (could be 1-1 if needed)

• Like 1

regulations do not state ratios..you can stick to normal ratios if you deem it safe to do so. Childminders will regularly take up to 6 without an issue (of the correct age groups!) you need to work out what is safe for the group your are taking (send/behaviour/communication issues/ physical problems etc etc)

• Like 2

If we go on an outing walking we usually have a 1 to 4 ratio dependent on the children but we also do outings further afield involving coach travel on these trips I always do a one to two ratio especially like the one we are doing today to a theme park.

• Like 1

For local outings we usually keep normal ratios but it depends which children we have and where we are going. We often do a trip to the park, library or castle with a 1:8 ratio and manage with no problem.

Thanks all. I can see there is no set requirement and all settings are different.

Until now we have kept to normal ratios for our local park outing. However it needs to be reviewed due to an incident on the last outing. I am thinking of introducing a 1:4 ratio (3-4yr olds) and three adults minimum on outings.

Hi All

I think it would be a good idea for staff to undertake training relating to outings.

We regulary visit the local woods so would the training to cover organising the outing, planning activities on the outing etc.

Any ideas on any training courses or resources. I've emailed the PLA.

Thanks

Hi All

I think it would be a good idea for staff to undertake training relating to outings.

We regulary visit the local woods so would the training to cover organising the outing, planning activities on the outing etc.

Any ideas on any training courses or resources. I've emailed the PLA.

Thanks

check with your LEA as they regularly hold training for schools on outings which is really useful. They may let you join in if you ask really nicely ;) :lol:

• 4 months later...

Me again!

Can you let me know what you use on outings to show that children belong to your setting (based on the awful chance one went missing/got separated)

It was suggested we try silicone wristbands however we tried a sample on one of our tiny wrists and it was too loose.

Just wondering what others use that work well on little  ones. Our visits are usually to the woods and sometimes shop, cafe etc.

High Viz vests? Badges? Stickers? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)