Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fee increases and 30 hours

Stargrower

Children who have left maybe ? I keep a record of children who leave during the year, when they left, reason, any repayment of funding and whether we forwarded transition information..usually moved away (not for normal school leavers)

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

very quick question (not relevant!) what are 'children taken off roll'?????? trying to do my policies!!!!

That would be the children/families that you'd like to exclude for various reason (including non-payment) that you're NOT allowed to exclude anyway!! :lol:

• Like 2

That would be the children/families that you'd like to exclude for various reason (including non-payment) that you're NOT allowed to exclude anyway!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh that made me laugh...I can think of a few in that case!! ::1a

I was trying to work out if you are accepting

15 hours or part off, are you saying it has to be the universal part of the funding or are you accepting no universal and accepting just extended?

Parents sometimes split between us and nursery and I'm worried that we'll be the ones ending up with the extended hours as our fees are lower, if they go out of eigability it's our headhech!

So if your offering 15 hours are you stipulating that it has to be the universal part?

Sorry x

I was trying to work out if you are accepting

15 hours or part off, are you saying it has to be the universal part of the funding or are you accepting no universal and accepting just extended?

Parents sometimes split between us and nursery and I'm worried that we'll be the ones ending up with the extended hours as our fees are lower, if they go out of eigability it's our headhech!

So if your offering 15 hours are you stipulating that it has to be the universal part?

Sorry x

I'm trying to get to grips with your question !

all of our children are funded for 15 (some don't take it at the moment but we have stipulated 5 sessions from September)

So what does your lea say about split funding? if you have 15 hours and the nursery have 15 and the parent is funded then that's fine but is it the parents decision as to where the funding goes ...so if the parent loses their job and drop to 15 why does the nursery get the money...should you get 7.5 each????

it is a really good question and not one that ive thought of...we have a very strict 6 weeks notice period ...but I guess if the parent had lost their job this would be difficult to enforce. We rarely have children who do splits as we can offer 8.30=5.30 care and none of our childminders take funded children (the funding is way too low for them!!)

hum i'll go and have a think and hope that someone else might step in and answer this in the meantime!!! I suspect it may be one to ask your LEA abou

Thanks

The parent stipulates what funding goes where, as we are only open 24 hours (restriction on use of the hall) working parents sometimes split their funding with us.

We are thinking of offering a set number of places for 24 hours, but part of this must be the 15 universal, all other parents accessing our setting whose children are funded must use their universal part of their funding and not any extended funding.

so if a child attending with us was accessing nursery two day, then takes 3 six hour days with us,

Nursery gets 15 hours funded hours, we get 15 hours funded plus the parent pays for the extra 3 hours, but we insist our 15 hours are the universal hours and the nursery gets the extended part.

Does that make sense?

I've asked our LEA and they said parent stipulates which part of the funding goes where, so if the parent loses their job it's the setting with the extended part that loses the funding.

So essentially if we had the extended part 15 hours or part off, we could lose the funding and potentially the child if the parent can't afford to pay. I'm just trying to cover all bases!

Thanks

I'm trying to get to grips with your question !

all of our children are funded for 15 (some don't take it at the moment but we have stipulated 5 sessions from September)

u

Hi finsleysmaid can I ask 'how' you stipulated that 5 sessions are taken up? What wording did you use??

I am struggling with this at the moment - parents wanting only 6 - 9 hours per week instead of their full entitlement. So far all the encouragement we use falls on deaf ears and although it's 'parental choice' it's not good for sustainabllity and to be honest annoying in so many other ways!!

We cannot offer 30 only 18 in total.

Thanks Rafa

Hi finsleysmaid can I ask 'how' you stipulated that 5 sessions are taken up? What wording did you use??

I am struggling with this at the moment - parents wanting only 6 - 9 hours per week instead of their full entitlement. So far all the encouragement we use falls on deaf ears and although it's 'parental choice' it's not good for sustainabllity and to be honest annoying in so many other ways!!

We cannot offer 30 only 18 in total.

Thanks Rafa

Hi Rafa

We've been planning this for a while so prospective parents were being 'warned' some months ago. We used to say that 3 sessions was the minimum we would offer as we just don't feel that children settle well below this length of time but for the upcoming year we have stipulated that children will be offered 5 sessions as minimum (for us this is 5xam's or 5x pm's ) We put something like...due to the recent changes in the way government is funding early years we are unable to offer less than 5 sessions (not difficult for us as all of our local settings currently offer 5 as minimum!) when parents have come round I have explained that we are not able to 'sell' the remaining sessions and therefore our loss is compounded (loss on funded then 1 or two sessions not paid for ) we have the choice of a high quality low cost pre-school or no pre-school at all if we go out of business!

most parents have been very accommodating ...only 2 created a fuss(the ones that could afford it funnily enough!!!) they said they would wait until their children are fully funded. I warned them they might not got a place and they accepted that. They don't know yet that I am now full and do not have any spaces until September 2018!

• Like 3

Good on you FM, I still getting grumbles from some prospective parents when I tell them we have a minimum 2 sessions a week and a full day doesn't count it has to be different days, it's usually the ones who want one session 'just to get to know the children they'll go to school with' or the 2yr olds who want a one 'foot in the door' session and then as soon as funded automatically expect every hour they are eligible for :-/

• Like 5

Hi Rafa

We've been planning this for a while so prospective parents were being 'warned' some months ago. We used to say that 3 sessions was the minimum we would offer as we just don't feel that children settle well below this length of time but for the upcoming year we have stipulated that children will be offered 5 sessions as minimum (for us this is 5xam's or 5x pm's ) We put something like...due to the recent changes in the way government is funding early years we are unable to offer less than 5 sessions (not difficult for us as all of our local settings currently offer 5 as minimum!) when parents have come round I have explained that we are not able to 'sell' the remaining sessions and therefore our loss is compounded (loss on funded then 1 or two sessions not paid for ) we have the choice of a high quality low cost pre-school or no pre-school at all if we go out of business!

most parents have been very accommodating ...only 2 created a fuss(the ones that could afford it funnily enough!!!) they said they would wait until their children are fully funded. I warned them they might not got a place and they accepted that. They don't know yet that I am now full and do not have any spaces until September 2018!

Hi. Can I ask how you will deal with the situation where a parent agrees to 5 funded sessions but then doesn't 'use' them e.g. regularly only comes in Mon Wed and Fri. Our LA say they only pay for hours attended. Have you got parents to sign that they will pay for those lost funded hours should LA refuse to pay or take back the funding. I have got several parents signing up for Sept with children going into school Sept 18 who only want 6 hours but are not using hours elsewhere.

Really torn between their right to make those choices about their child and our right or fight to survive!!!!

• Like 2

Hi. Can I ask how you will deal with the situation where a parent agrees to 5 funded sessions but then doesn't 'use' them e.g. regularly only comes in Mon Wed and Fri. Our LA say they only pay for hours attended. Have you got parents to sign that they will pay for those lost funded hours should LA refuse to pay or take back the funding. I have got several parents signing up for Sept with children going into school Sept 18 who only want 6 hours but are not using hours elsewhere.

Really torn between their right to make those choices about their child and our right or fight to survive!!!!

We are very lucky that our LEA do not stipulate attended sessions only. I guess this is a conversation to have with the LEA though....do they do this to schools too?? the idea is with the new funding that it is more equal .

I guess I would have to stipulate they attend or pay in your circumstance. :o

• Like 1

We must be one of the lucky settings then, our funding rate was £3.80 per hour and will be going up to £4.01 per hour, not sure what the 1p is about but there you are lol. So we will be better off, we are a pack away setting as well and can only run for 4 days as the church use one of the week days themselves which means we can only offer 24 hours which we have parents already asking for. As the funding rate has gone up past our fee hourly rate then our fees will be going up in September as well to £4.10 per hour which again works out well for us as we have some parents taking all 24 hours but are only eligible for 15 hours and are happy to pay for the extra time. At the rate our sessions are filling up with the extra hours being taken, I am not sure that all the children on our waiting list for September/October will even be able to get in. We seriously need to find some new premises to enable us to open for 5 days a week!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)