Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pounds for pups!

finleysmaid

So here it is the launch of a new campaign.....

Pounds for pups is the governments new initative for those of us in early years who have dogs who require Doggy day care.

Thanks to the launch of the 30 free hours for children the government have followed this scheme by intoducing "POUNDS FOR PUPS"

If you are working in early years for 16 hours or more at minimum wage (government estimates this will be 50% of the workforce but the RSPCA have said this is more likely to be 99%) and own one or more dogs you will receive 30 hours of free dog care ...of course you will require more than 30 hours in order to work. So for the 50 hours I now work I will not pay for the first 30 hours but the doggy day care will charge me at their current rate for the remaining hours. This has now been hiked up to cover their true costs.

This will only be available for term time...despite your job requiring 50 weeks of work due to government consultations/ new initiatives needing to be completed over the holidays.

There has been some concern over this new initiative as the doggy day care suppliers currently charge £200 per week for 2 dogs. The government will pay them about half of their true costs (£100) so they have decided to charge £200 for the remaining hours in order to cover their rising costs over the next three years.

The doggy day care trust also raised concerns that this new scheme is to be in place by next week. The government feel that this is sufficient time for them to re-organise their business

There is currently a body of people opposing this scheme look here for details " poo for poodle pounds!"

​The government have launched several consultations on this scheme ..all of which have no significance because they have already launched the scheme....and they pledged in their manifesto.

Please leave your comments below.

(ps this is purely a fictional campaign... and there is no money available ...well there's a surprise then!

;) :lol: :lol:

• Like 12

I wonder how many fur babies are actually going to be affected though :( Yet another proof that it's not been thought through - staff can't leave their doggy friends home alone for that long.

• Like 2

I wonder how many fur babies are actually going to be affected though :( Yet another proof that it's not been thought through - staff can't leave their doggy friends home alone for that long.

well my somewhat tongue in cheek 'article' is actually based on truth . Finley and his friend Digby (and quite often their mate Rokko!) will need more care ...so now I'm face with paying £30 a day for a walk each or £60 a day for Doggy day care which takes up rather a lot of my wages!!!!

• Like 2

well my somewhat tongue in cheek 'article' is actually based on truth . Finley and his friend Digby (and quite often their mate Rokko!) will need more care ...so now I'm face with paying £30 a day for a walk each or £60 a day for Doggy day care which takes up rather a lot of my wages!!!!

I am actually seriously thinking about becoming a dog walker/ dog sitter. I think I will have a higher income for less hours.

• Like 3

I am very lucky in that my darling Lottie (One year old today, Happy Birthday Lotster!) comes to nursery with me every day. She has done this since she was eight weeks old and is now so much part of the life of the nursery. All the children love her as do the parents and all the staff dote on her too. A mum said the other day "Now, I won't stop and stroke you this morning Lottie, as once I start, I can't stop and I have to get to work!" ::1a

Lottie comes in with me in the morning, goes home for about four hours across the middle of the day, comes back for a couple of hours in the afternoon then back home for the last hour of the day - we are full daycare and I live round the corner.

She is a gorgeous, affectionate girl and incredibly calm for her age. She is also a great lure for getting reluctant children through the door! She has even been a bit of a 'therapy dog' for a very distressed child.

Here she is

post-5970-0-57112100-1485868422_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Oh hali she is beautiful

You ladies are giving me massive 'dog envy' :1b

I told myself ages ago that I wouldn't have another dog until retirement :blink: retirement is getting further and further away (thanks Mr Cameron)

I will carry on being happy to look after my sons family doggies - Alfie a beautiful Chocolate Lab and Beau a very sweet Border Terrier :1b

Alfie is coming for a week in March - not long to wait :1b

• Like 1

Oh hali she is beautiful

You ladies are giving me massive 'dog envy' :1b

I told myself ages ago that I wouldn't have another dog until retirement :blink: retirement is getting further and further away (thanks Mr Cameron)

I will carry on being happy to look after my sons family doggies - Alfie a beautiful Chocolate Lab and Beau a very sweet Border Terrier :1b

Alfie is coming for a week in March - not long to wait :1b

This is my problem too!

We look after a Tibetan Terrier once a month overnight and holidays, and we can request the odd weekend (even a week :1b ) if we want ...... But I'd rather have my own again..... hence thinking about giving it all up and becoming a dog walker. :1b :1b :1b

• Like 1

i'd love to take finley to work...he's not terribly calm though (calm dog envy!!) however we also have lots of children from religions that would not approve !!

And full circle back to money...

The owner of the incredibly calm Tibetan Terrier was asked if the dog would be able to do hospital visits - Nice person he is considered it.

He was then so dumfounded by the need to pay almost £100 for safeguarding training + a self funded DBS, bloodtests for dog etc. It lead to a very interesting discussion about what we have to put up with in Early Years, and as a business man he really couldn't understand how on earth we put up with the government's ludicrous restrictions with funding and everything!