Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EY2

Possum

Hi I just wanted to make everyone aware about the EY2 forms that committee members need to submit along side their DBS to be part of the committee, My Preschool was OFSTED'ed just before Christmas and one of my trustees hadn't completed her EY2 this put us in immediate inadequate!! We were absolutely devastated but it is seen as a safeguarding issue so understandable, Please make sure you chase up yours and they are all in place as its such a simple thing with massive effects. we are going to be done again in 6 months and all this will be sorted but I would hate for anyone else to have to go through this.

It was much better in the old 'paper form' days. You could make sure that everyone had completed them, in front of you, and post them all off together and you KNEW they were done. Relying on volunteers to do these things, on their own at home, with squalling children and husbands demanding their tea just is never going to work properly. As a Manager and now as a Chair it would be great if Ofsted kept me in the loop, so that if an EY2 was 'pinged back' to the individual, I would know, and could help them sort it. I don't like nagging volunteers to see if they've done it all ok, it's hard enough to get them in the first place, and as this is the first taste they have of what they've signed up for, it's no wonder!

Sorry, rant over. Hugs to you and the team. Xx

• Like 4

Also as a manager, but not on the committee so only a 'named' person rather than the 'nominated' person, ofsted will not speak to me so I can't ring and check progress. We have no Internet at the setting so I can't even sit alongside volunteers to help them. It is a nightmare! Whilst I can understand the safeguarding issue, we would never allow committee members to be unsupervised with children anyway.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Isp it's not a question of committee members not being left with the children, it's more that the committee as a whole is your Employer and oversee the running of the setting/ make decisions, therefore they are supposed to know all about the legalities of how it is run, otherwise how can they make these decisions? For instance if a alligation was brought against the manager etc, do the committee know the proceedure to follow. In our case we were penalised because Ofsted said our chair- note a volunteer Mum of 3 working 3 days didn't have any safeguarding training and didn't really fully understand the EYFS curriculumn therfore when doing our settings development plan and appraisals how was she to know what courses to send the staff on to improve the outcomes and progress, for both staff and children. All forms filled in correct, but it was just not good enough to say she has read our proceedures/policies on safeguarding and knows the number/professional bodies who to contact etc. But it does not say anywhere that the nominated person or committee have to do any such training. So not sure where this leaves committee run settings anymore. They seem to have lumped Preschools in with schools and colleges in the 'One fits all' Common Inspection Framework Doc and it just doesn't work. Especially like so many have said it's difficult enough to get people on a committee in the first place and to expect them to do all this work, is just so unfair.

Rant over sorry

• Like 3

Hi I just wanted to make everyone aware about the EY2 forms that committee members need to submit along side their DBS to be part of the committee, My Preschool was OFSTED'ed just before Christmas and one of my trustees hadn't completed her EY2 this put us in immediate inadequate!! We were absolutely devastated but it is seen as a safeguarding issue so understandable, Please make sure you chase up yours and they are all in place as its such a simple thing with massive effects. we are going to be done again in 6 months and all this will be sorted but I would hate for anyone else to have to go through this.

how inconsistent is this and only 6 months ago.....

It is not yet outstanding because:

 The provider has not informed Ofsted of all committee members to enable them to assess their suitability. This is also a breach of the Childcare Register requirements. However, this has no impact on children. Committee members have completed the necessary Disclosure and Barring Service checks and do not have unsupervised contact with children.
Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

how inconsistent is this and only 6 months ago.....

It is not yet outstanding because:

 The provider has not informed Ofsted of all committee members to enable them to assess their suitability. This is also a breach of the Childcare Register requirements. However, this has no impact on children. Committee members have completed the necessary Disclosure and Barring Service checks and do not have unsupervised contact with children.

This is absolutely ridiculous and should not be allowed. Ofsted need to sort their systems out for notifications. I have one parent left who has just completed DBS, DBS update and just sent EY2. I have the EY3 ready and filled out to post but now need to wait however long for Ofsted to send me the EY2 confirmation letter! Does this mean that if Ofsted come I will get the same treatment? It's hard enough to recruit volunteers, without the hoops we have to jump through alongside everything else we have to do! Something needs to be done to make the whole process easier. The dbs side of it is easy in comparison.

• Like 4

This seems most unfair as the whole process is so confusing. After three months we are almost their with our change of committee...and this will happen all over again every year!

As a new chair I was concerned about this matter so I contacted ofsted and a lovely lady guided me through what we needed to do. All our committee were directors/trustees but they weren't all on ofsted although they had completed ey2s! The discrepancy was the difference between directors and committee members (sill a minefield to me) but ofsted treat us as a registered company first charity second apparently.

Anyway, she updated what she could and said she would call me back in two weeks to check those that hadn't completed the EY2 yet (new members) Fortunately by this time the last two completed their ey2 so we were up to date.

I am going to make sure I log onto my online account regularly to make sure information is correct, I also do this with CH and CC.

I do think it is going to be very difficult for committee/parent run provisions to continue. I am a chair and parent yet do not understand fully the EYFS framework. I'm glad we have an excellent manager who has worked within this setting for 20 years....I just hope she doesn't decide to leave whilst I'm chair!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've made contact with Sean Harford and Gill Jones about this and am asking for clarification

Has there been any update to this? I have just taken over a chair of a committee that was OFSTED inspected in Feb16 and the information held by OFSTED was years out of date, and none of the current committee members were registered as being affiliated but they got a good for leadership and management, which I can't quite get my head round.

Has there been any update to this? I have just taken over a chair of a committee that was OFSTED inspected in Feb16 and the information held by OFSTED was years out of date, and none of the current committee members were registered as being affiliated but they got a good for leadership and management, which I can't quite get my head round.

I literally have no words.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

I have had a lengthy conversation with my committee today. i have just discovered that there are members who have not completed the EY2 and not registered for DBS update service. Does this now mean I have to get them all to apply for a new DBS then update service and EY2??? And in the meantime we have to foot the bill for all of this?!

• Like 2

Are they new committee members? People who are existing members and already registered with Ofsted etc do not have to redo at the moment - as far as I know ......... I would start by getting your nominated person to ring and check with Ofsted who is 'currently' registered with them as member of your committee. Good luck !!! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Are they new committee members? People who are existing members and already registered with Ofsted etc do not have to redo at the moment - as far as I know ......... I would start by getting your nominated person to ring and check with Ofsted who is 'currently' registered with them as member of your committee. Good luck !!! :ph34r:

Thanks LSP. They are all existing post holders. We haven't changed them since we did the blasted excel sheet sent from Ofsted.

We are in the middle of a move to a new setting so I fortunately had the opportunity to speak to an inspector last week. I asked her to confirm if they hold the same information for our committee members and she has said she will get back to me. I don't know if its a good sign but when I logged into Ofsted online services all of our committee members were listed on there so fingers crossed.

I am now taking over as nominated person so it's much easier for me to contact Ofsted and get answers.

Log into your SEF, then self-service, manage provision, along the top of that screen is a tab 'individual associates', that shows you a list of committee and I think 'manage setting' shows you who nominated person and any 2nd is.

A couple of years ago I was able to remove old members from the list but that option seems to have been removed.

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 3

Cait, yes as Mouseketeer said you need the nominated person to login on ofsted online. From there select self service - manage your provision - individuals associated - update and from there you can see who ofsted have on record. Much easier than a phonecall in my opinion after being cut off 3 times last week trying to get through to someone!

• Like 1

Cait, yes as Mouseketeer said you need the nominated person to login on ofsted online. From there select self service - manage your provision - individuals associated - update and from there you can see who ofsted have on record. Much easier than a phonecall in my opinion after being cut off 3 times last week trying to get through to someone!

Can you remove old committee still tinkerbell? It doesn't let me anymore, when I rang to ask why I was told I never could ...but I b****y well could :-/

Can you remove old committee still tinkerbell? It doesn't let me anymore, when I rang to ask why I was told I never could ...but I b****y well could :-/

Mouseketeer, I'm afraid I don't know on that one. I too am getting increasingly frustrated with the conflicting information being given out. In the past week I have been told I don't need to do an EY3, then told I do. Told I can submit an EY2 with a DBS reference number whilst I await the certificate number, then told I can't. A case of left hand not talking to the right!!! :angry:

• Like 1

It's a joke isn't it ? ...I was asked to send screen shots of how I got to the screen that I could remove them from and was told it wasn't supposed to be "live" whatttttttt !!! , the 'which comes first, the ey2 or charity trustee' is more nonsense...why would you add someone as a trustee before they've been deemed suitable to be one?

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)