Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

We have a brilliant system for our bins (well did until lockdown) we get reward points for recycling ! Bins all have a smart chip and we get points which we can 'spend' for schools or collect for special offers elsewhere. It's not quite as good as it used to be but still makes a big differnce and everyone is rewarded for recycling rather than penalised! I cannot understand why more councils haven't done it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, louby loo said:

What about food waste? do you get a small bin for that?  T

That's the issue causing our users the most stress at the moment, currently  we add food waste to the green bin which is currently collected weekly.  The council have not said what their plans are, just that they are considering drop went collection of green bin.

As I don’t have a brown bin it’s a while since I read the instructions but I’m fairly sure we can put in compost able food waste such as veg peelings but nothing cooked and no raw meat. Those kinds of food waste go in general household waste.

21 hours ago, louby loo said:

What about food waste? do you get a small bin for that?  T

That's the issue causing our users the most stress at the moment, currently  we add food waste to the green bin which is currently collected weekly.  The council have not said what their plans are, just that they are considering drop went collection of green bin.

As I don’t have a brown bin it’s a while since I read the instructions but I’m fairly sure we can put in compost able food waste such as veg peelings but nothing cooked and no raw meat. Those kinds of food waste go in general household waste.

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

We have a brilliant system for our bins (well did until lockdown) we get reward points for recycling ! Bins all have a smart chip and we get points which we can 'spend' for schools or collect for special offers elsewhere. It's not quite as good as it used to be but still makes a big differnce and everyone is rewarded for recycling rather than penalised! I cannot understand why more councils haven't done it

Oh - I had missed this - what a brilliant scheme

• Like 3

Yes Finleysmaid scheme does sound good - but is that because her county feel their residents wouldn't comply without an incentive?      Most people where we are - locally anyway just do as we are told😀😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So we have three bins - green lid for household and blue lid for recyclable - these are collected alternate weeks then we have a brown lid bin which is collected fortnightly and finally a grey box which is for glass which is also collected fortnightly - so one week it is household and garden and the other it is recyclable and glass. 

Well Friday AGAIN!

Even though we did not physically open our doors,  today we  officially finished for the summer 😮.

A week earlier than we should, but our local schools finished today so it seemed a good time.  We had a socially distanced drop-by in the park, as we do not have a proper outdoor area.  It worked well and the parents were all really good about it. For any setting feeling guilty about not opening- we had a group of parents that thanked us profusely for not bowing [s?] to the pressure of opening :)

It was tiring though speaking to all the parents and children whilst SD all the time- really looking for to September now though.

• Like 6

Glad it went well - did you have a receiving line like the Queen to speak to parents😀

So many types of places opening up now, does give one a little more confidence for September I hope.    

As regards parents, I think you made a decision for them which they gladly didn't have to make - they could rest easy, although WE know it caused you some worry.

3 hours ago, Panders said:

As regards parents, I think you made a decision for them which they gladly didn't have to make - they could rest easy, although WE know it caused you some worry.

That is exactly what they said!  They really didn't know what to do for the best, and were happy to have the decision made as they weren't really 100% about coming back anyway.

To be honest we live in a relatively affluent area, with lots of outdoor beautiful spaces.  Every setting is unique, and I'm sure if we were in a more built up area with a different demographic things would have been different. We made the right choice for our families in our setting :)

On the negative side - the Town Council have banned me from using the all-weather  table-tennis table as my outdoor office..... I am gutted!  Apparently it started a trend and it now has coffee rings on it 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 08/07/2020 at 20:24, blondie said:

So we have three bins - green lid for household and blue lid for recyclable - these are collected alternate weeks then we have a brown lid bin which is collected fortnightly and finally a grey box which is for glass which is also collected fortnightly - so one week it is household and garden and the other it is recyclable and glass. 

Why? Just why would they not have put the green lid on the recycle bin ♻️ 🤔

4 minutes ago, louby loo said:

My thoughts too!  Ours is green for garden, and black for general  which seems to make total sense to me.

No logic! Ours is the same and little brown food bin, we get warning notes stuck to our bin if we put food waste in them but on occasion the bin men have been seen to tip the food waste into the general bin before tipping in the lorry 🤷‍♀️
how did the conversation get to comparing bins 😆  

6 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

No logic! Ours is the same and little brown food bin, we get warning notes stuck to our bin if we put food waste in them but on occasion the bin men have been seen to tip the food waste into the general bin before tipping in the lorry 🤷‍♀️
how did the conversation get to comparing bins 😆  

I was going to move it on to 'who's bin been sticker'd'......... I have for putting to much in the garden waste bin- it was two heavy, I took the sticker very personally and was quiet upset but the public shaming 😮

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I was going to move it on to 'who's bin been sticker'd'......... I have for putting to much in the garden waste bin- it was two heavy, I took the sticker very personally and was quiet upset but the public shaming 😮

😝 I was totally offended to have a big white label stuck to my bin but it turned out practically ever other house had one, I’d like a garden waste but won’t pay the extra on the principle that I already pay enough council tax for what we have/get in our village 😡

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cait said:

Ours is brown for garden and green for general.  Black box for glass, green box for tin and plastic and blue bag for paper and card.  

Do you get a garden one included or have to pay extra like me? We also get a little red bag for batteries 😄 

Having waste visible in the boxes, rather than all in a bin makes bin day walks into town interesting. “Look how many bottles of wine they’ve got through in a fortnight!’  ‘Ooh they’ve not washed out their tins and jars, yuk!’   Makes me become very judgemental 😂😂😳🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ours is all free, we put batteries in a clear plastic bag on top of any bin........and then watch the bin men chuck it in the back with all the other stuff! 😮 although maybe it does get sorted on a conveyer belt  at the other end as they are in a bag- well I like to hope it does.

1 minute ago, Cait said:

Having waste visible in the boxes, rather than all in a bin makes bin day walks into town interesting. “Look how many bottles of wine they’ve got through in a fortnight!’  ‘Ooh they’ve not washed out their tins and jars, yuk!’   Makes me become very judgemental 😂😂😳🤔

Me too- I can't actually believe just how judgmental I've become lately  😳  We have clear bags for paper/plastic/tins , and an open box for bottles/glass.   I get really annoyed when people don't 're-use' what I deem to be useful! (yes number 4- you really could reuse all those beautiful  gift boxes and bags you appear to chuck away every two weeks!!!!)

• Haha 3

It seems to me that our council is rather ahead of the game on this bin lark....black bin for general, blue for recycling and green for green (although like most this is a paid subscription) for us we dont do green as it goes to the allotment. BUT we can also recycle small electrical items /textiles and papaer, card, glass and plastics go in to the recycling together (and we get points as mentioned!!) we also get a weekly collection for everything! we are one of the highest areas for recycling in the country

Fascinating variations in bin collection!  😁  It's been a busy old week here (and I forgot to put my recycling bin out!).  I started getting eczema on my wrist and feet a year ago and in the last few months the patch on my wrist has become bigger and more irritating - driving me mad at the moment!  I had tea with my mum and dad last night which was lovely.  This morning it is so lovely to see the sun!  A new skein of hand-dyed yarn in the most beautiful autumnal colours has arrived in the post.  I had banana pancakes with nectarine, yogurt and honey for breakfast which is a breakfast guaranteed to make me feel both indulged and virtuous.  I have already got a load of laundry done.  On the other hand my TDL is longer than my arm, my house is a complete pigsty and there is a distinct sense of overwhelm to my morning.  I'm going to pull myself together and get going though - there are just 2 weeks of school left to go and then I am planning 5 lovely weeks!  I may be back for some easy gardening tips though - it is not my strength but I did tell myself that this year was the one I would sort my garden, I planned to get started at Easter and then 'stuff' happened!

15 minutes ago, Froglet said:

I had banana pancakes with nectarine, yogurt and honey for breakfast which is a breakfast guaranteed to make me feel both indulged and virtuous.  I 

Can I come for breakfast please, pretty please....

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Yep - I've been stickered 'do not put food waste in this bin' - what, I did no such thing 😡- turned out as Mousie said it was a general sticker job(good job that I realised that before ringing the council full of indignation) 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Can I come for breakfast please, pretty please....

Always!  They are super easy - a banana, egg, 25g flour, 1/4 baking powder - blend until smooth (I use my stick blend that I use for making soup), cook as usual in a little melted butter.  Great way to use up softening bananas and I put whatever soft fruit I have with them - I think they'd probably go well with a warm apple/cinnamon mix too although I haven't tried that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

(this is froglet working hard to get us to stop talking bins!!!xD)

😄  You talk about bins all you like - I'm enjoying it !  I have just slightly run out of things to add to the conversation...Plus am feeling slightly left out because I've never been stickered!

Edited by Froglet
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1