Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 26/06/2020 at 11:33, sunnyday said:

So, yes 'tis Friday again and like louby I want my life back!

My 'big' news this week - I have had the invitation to apply for my state pension (yes, I am a really old girl!) - as a WASPI woman I have felt so cheated. So application in and hopefully I should get my first pension payment in October - whoop! whoop!

How scary were those beach scenes yesterday - I honestly think the world has gone mad😮 I do understand that I am extremely lucky to have my lovely garden, but come on now folks this horrible virus has not 'gone' and we all need to remember that and act accordingly (ooh that was all a bit ranty!)

have a good weekend all😃

congrats on the Pension I too start to take my old bank pension in Oct...however I have a few more years on that never ending piece of elastic currently being rolled out to "old gals" of my age as to when I can actually take my OAP.    Re beach scenes....I think understandable?   If we holed up a group of littlies in a play pen for weeks on end and then let them loose...Child A (types) will go bananas because they're free and just run rampant trashing everything, racing round and have forgotten how to play nicely and Child B (types)  will think "aha I wonder when I might get locked up again so I may as well play out while I can" because its happened once and I'm sure it might happen again and then in the corner there will be that ONE child (type C) who has got too scared of the world outside their playpen....its a bit big and scary out there and child A might whack me and child B is a bit loud so I'll stay in here where its safe doing nothing thank you very much.     

We see all of this happening now in the BIG world.....Early years really is just a microcosm of the whole world....it completely predicts human behaviour.

As for me I'm now ticking off the squares on the calendar .....15 days and counting....I just hope the beach is still there when I finally get to go!

• Like 1

There’s Child D who listens and understands the reason as well.  The one who has learned that there could be consequences to actions. (We don’t touch that because it’s hot) the one that has listened to the explanation of why something is a bad idea, and accepts that.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, enuffsenuf said:

Re beach scenes....I think understandable?   If we holed up a group of littlies in a play pen for weeks on end and then let them loose...Child A (types) will go bananas because they're free and just run rampant trashing everything, racing round and have forgotten how to play nicely and Child B (types)  will think "aha I wonder when I might get locked up again so I may as well play out while I can" because its happened once and I'm sure it might happen again and then in the corner there will be that ONE child (type C) who has got too scared of the world outside their playpen....its a bit big and scary out there and child A might whack me and child B is a bit loud so I'll stay in here where its safe doing nothing thank you very much.     

We see all of this happening now in the BIG world.....Early years really is just a microcosm of the whole world....it completely predicts human behaviour.

As for me I'm now ticking off the squares on the calendar .....15 days and counting....I just hope the beach is still there when I finally get to go!

Hi enuffsenuf

Good to see you posting on the Friday thread

I think with the 'beach scenes' we will have to agree to disagree and that's just fine we can't and won't always see things from the same perspective, that's normal and completely okay in my book....

One of my favourite sayings is: 'It takes many different flowers to make a beautiful garden'

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

One of my favourite sayings is: 'It takes many different flowers to make a beautiful garden'

And thank goodness for that!  We all know that monoculture is never a good idea!

i need more red and yellow in my garden this year too! 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hi enuffsenuf

Good to see you posting on the Friday thread

I think with the 'beach scenes' we will have to agree to disagree and that's just fine we can't and won't always see things from the same perspective, that's normal and completely okay in my book....

tis true

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cait said:

There’s Child D who listens and understands the reason as well.  The one who has learned that there could be consequences to actions. (We don’t touch that because it’s hot) the one that has listened to the explanation of why something is a bad idea, and accepts that.  

yup but many of those out there being "young adults" now come from that awful spell when they couldn't do XYZ because they might get hurt🤕 and no one was allowed to say "no" to because it was negative,  so never learned to properly assess risk and think they are immortal👼....if they'd skinned a few knees, touched a hot Rad. etc they might be better at knowing the consequences💀.

I just can’t comprehend what someone is thinking when they turn up (having been stuck in a queue for miles so know what it’s going to be like) and think it’s a good idea to join the masses on an already overcrowded beach and they don’t all seem that young and what’s more unfathomable is they subject their children to the risk of it...probably the same children that haven’t gone back to school yet because it isn’t safe 🤷‍♀️😡

• Like 2

I have watched the news over the last few weeks in absolute shock with the way people are behaving. The protests, the beaching, the shopping queues and football celebrations. It is beyond me, just what these people are thinking. As I have said before we are expecting a huge influx down here in Cornwall starting next week! I know Cornwall needs the tourism desperately but we only have one main hospital in the whole county which is on black alert in a normal summer season! I will be hibernating in my garden until September if anyone wants me.....

• Like 4

Scarborough had a couple of spikes after tourists visited en masse, fairly early on - that first weekend when we were told you could go somewhere in your car for exercise - on the beach like stupid sardines.  Toilets and shops were closed still.  What a pigsty they left, defecating and urinating behind bins etc, it was appalling. A lot of those folk were ‘mature’ adults.  The youths seemed to head for the big waterfalls inland for tombstoning, causing the emergency services to be stretched even further.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Cait said:

Scarborough had a couple of spikes after tourists visited en masse, fairly early on - that first weekend when we were told you could go somewhere in your car for exercise - on the beach like stupid sardines.  Toilets and shops were closed still.  What a pigsty they left, defecating and urinating behind bins etc, it was appalling. A lot of those folk were ‘mature’ adults.  The youths seemed to head for the big waterfalls inland for tombstoning, causing the emergency services to be stretched even further.   

hashtag change of subject....Cait I have just noticed you are ""retired" crikey I guess we've all just got to that stage....I remember the olden days when we were all mere slips of things studying and worrying about essays!    I hope you are enjoying your quieter life...although I have a feeling most of us will be filling our "retirement" with as much busyness as we did our working days...I'm not there yet but definitely now planning that way

Still got another 10 years till retirement...not sure my knees will hold out that long!!!! And my ankles are shot already 🤪

Maybe it's time for a change of career...what do you reckon I should do???!!!?? Maybe a cake shop with young forget!?!?! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, enuffsenuf said:

hashtag change of subject....Cait I have just noticed you are ""retired" crikey I guess we've all just got to that stage....I remember the olden days when we were all mere slips of things studying and worrying about essays!    I hope you are enjoying your quieter life...although I have a feeling most of us will be filling our "retirement" with as much busyness as we did our working days...I'm not there yet but definitely now planning that way

Yes.  I took early retirement in 2015 when my husband reached 65 and retired.  We wanted to come back to Yorkshire where I was born and almost all the family still live, so we could be with them all, especially Mum as she gets increasingly more frail.   It’s of great sadness that we couldn’t be here for my Dad.    
The days of exams and essays are a mere memory now.

A lot of you have had a taste of what retirement is like, and are now wondering, as is so often heard, ‘how did I find time to work?’

• Like 5

5 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Still got another 10 years till retirement...not sure my knees will hold out that long!!!! And my ankles are shot already 🤪

Maybe it's time for a change of career...what do you reckon I should do???!!!?? Maybe a cake shop with young forget!?!?! 

Frogfins fantastic fripperies?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

ah and to think yesterday before I turned into a unicorn🦄 I broke my leg 🦵commando rolling over a wall🧱 in order to try and be clever whilst playing hide & seek...no wonder our bodies are worn out!   (It isn't really broken but I told the children it was as I rolled around in pain trying to maintain decorum and not cry......next time I shall risk assess that move)

Edited by enuffsenuf
  • Sad 1

Here we are then - it's Friday!

Funny old week here, have been feeling quite down, I think this is because I really wanted to be back at work this week but my parents were too concerned about the potential risks so that didn't happen....

Then I turned over my calendar to July and it's bare, how sad, I like to be busy, busy, busy

Anyway, I have given myself a good talking to and recovered some 'cheerfulness' 😃

Hope everyone has a good weekend and I will meet you all here again next Friday!🤣

• Like 5

Yes, a bare calendar does seem very strange.  I’ve written the days the different bins are emptied on ours, just to fill it up a bit!   

sorry to hear you’ve felt low though, this weather isn’t helping, I don’t think.  I think you’re wise staying off though, the consequences are way too great.  So, continue to smile and cheer from the sidelines, you’ll be back in harness soon enough! 

hugs to you my bouncy friend xxx 

• Like 3

I know what you mean about the reopening feeling.

We are have a 'drop in session' in the park next week and I'm actually getting excited about it!

I've had a stressful week sorting September, I keep reading everyones numbers are low- but our are ridiculously high 😳 We are having to turn people away (which I hate, especially if they turn out to be one of our old families that forgot to add names earlier etc).  

We usually have a quiet autumn and build up- not this year. On the positive side this is good financially, but it's going to be strange being so busy all year.

• Like 4

We are ok for September, not the biggest intake but not the lowest either, too many this Sept will cause problems later with a big school cohort who will want to increase hours, I’d rather have the older ones fill up the sessions than bring in too many tinies at once 🤭

A spot of retail therapy today at local’ish nursery just started up by one of our families which was lovely 🥀

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

We are ok for September, not the biggest intake but not the lowest either, too many this Sept will cause problems later with a big school cohort who will want to increase hours, I’d rather have the older ones fill up the sessions than bring in too many tinies at once 🤭

A spot of retail therapy today at local’ish nursery just started up by one of our families which was lovely 🥀

We have exactly the same starting as we have leaving!  Most of our returners  have their full funding hours (thank goodness) - but as you point out we have VERY little leeway for people upping hours once funded. We do keep a few spaces free for those returners that become funded in Jan.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Here we are then - it's Friday!

Funny old week here, have been feeling quite down, I think this is because I really wanted to be back at work this week but my parents were too concerned about the potential risks so that didn't happen....

Then I turned over my calendar to July and it's bare, how sad, I like to be busy, busy, busy

Anyway, I have given myself a good talking to and recovered some 'cheerfulness' 😃

Hope everyone has a good weekend and I will meet you all here again next Friday!🤣

do you know what...If I were you I would grasp the nettle go back on Monday (even if no one is there) tell your families you are open for those who want to come and sit back and wait.....like a firework there will be a slow fizzle, you will wonder if the thing is going to lift off but I bet if you go back some of your families will go back too and then its like a waterfall no holding back because to be honest things aint gonna be any better in Sept!   So I would open have a plan of action plan some nice things  and see....even if you are in there on your tod just cleaning at least you aren't at home feeling blue and unwanted.   For example when we opened we started with 6, then 8 and now Im up to 12!    Last week we are holding a mini sports day for the children (no spectators) a teddy bears picnic (because we cant have real teddies we are going to collage/paint cardboard teddies this week so each child has one) and on the last day we are blooming well having graduation!    So go back tell them you are going back and see....lawks...I'm so radical in my old age its quite frightening at times!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, louby loo said:

I know what you mean about the reopening feeling.

We are have a 'drop in session' in the park next week and I'm actually getting excited about it!

I've had a stressful week sorting September, I keep reading everyones numbers are low- but our are ridiculously high 😳 We are having to turn people away (which I hate, especially if they turn out to be one of our old families that forgot to add names earlier etc).  

We usually have a quiet autumn and build up- not this year. On the positive side this is good financially, but it's going to be strange being so busy all year.

good to hear you are busy xx

Well indeed tis another funky friday and we are now heading off down the slope to ye olde summer hols at a pace....It does however feel like the longest 7 weeks in history for me....I feel quite frazzled which is I expect as a result of 

• getting used of being at home during lockdown
  • getting older
  • stress about you know what shhhhh    secret squirrels
  • all the blooming paperwork that they have dumped on us this half term

However I am pleased we have been back and it has given us great ideas for how we will work in the autumn...when I suspect things will head downhill again with you know what shhhhh secret squirrels.   

The fears we had that first couple of weeks back have dissipated however we are not allowing ourselves to become complacent.   I seem to go home each Friday weary but content which is a think a good thing.

For those of you who are interested you might like to see the madness I was driven to during lockdown with my "Tales from the Dining Room" you tube channel (who says you can't teach an old gal new tricks?)...So hopefully you can see this.....funky friday everyone (when at pre-school we do this every friday at snacktime...https://youtu.be/Ipk55R_vdBk

feel free to add your own wig and dance around the room like Pans People!

1 hour ago, enuffsenuf said:

do you know what...If I were you I would grasp the nettle go back on Monday (even if no one is there) tell your families you are open for those who want to come and sit back and wait.....like a firework there will be a slow fizzle, you will wonder if the thing is going to lift off but I bet if you go back some of your families will go back too and then its like a waterfall no holding back because to be honest things aint gonna be any better in Sept!   So I would open have a plan of action plan some nice things  and see....even if you are in there on your tod just cleaning at least you aren't at home feeling blue and unwanted.   For example when we opened we started with 6, then 8 and now Im up to 12!    Last week we are holding a mini sports day for the children (no spectators) a teddy bears picnic (because we cant have real teddies we are going to collage/paint cardboard teddies this week so each child has one) and on the last day we are blooming well having graduation!    So go back tell them you are going back and see....lawks...I'm so radical in my old age its quite frightening at times!  

We all need to make our own choices based on our own settings, families and staff though. We managed to get a consultant to agree to one of our staff returning (as she has a medical condition) if that hadn't happened we wouldn't have been able to open. One size definitely does not fit all in these covid times.

• Like 3

On 03/07/2020 at 13:46, louby loo said:

Hi

We are thinking of doing something similar. We aren't re-opening until September but know how much parents are "grieving" for the end of term picnic and Leavers' ceremony we usually hold. Just don't want to end up with something that means too many people get together - not sure of the rules for gatherings of people outdoors. Just wondered how you were planning your drop in session?

1 hour ago, playgroup1 said:

Hi

We are thinking of doing something similar. We aren't re-opening until September but know how much parents are "grieving" for the end of term picnic and Leavers' ceremony we usually hold. Just don't want to end up with something that means too many people get together - not sure of the rules for gatherings of people outdoors. Just wondered how you were planning your drop in session?

With some very creative wording!

We called it a 'drop in' rather than meet-up or picnic.   I spoke to the park keeper, who said he will turn a blind I as long as we are not stupid - to be fair he said he's seen some terrible things the park of late.  (when open we use the park daily)

We have invited parents to visit  between 9.30-11.30, collect their special books (leavers) or bring something they have made/done during lockdown (returners)  We have pointed out to parents that everything thing will be done with the correct social distancing measures, although we are not doing 'booked' slots..... therefore they may have to wait their turn,  and perhaps it might be an idea to bring a blanket and some snack whist waiting.  

We will be giving out 'ice cream' tokens for the park cafe which is the other side of field so that will help with spacing out too.

We have gone for early, so that when the park starts to get busier we will be finished.

I shall do a full risk assessment - but the emphasise will be on the parents to act correctly at all times.  When we had a outdoor staff meeting the other day we noticed the local baby group had done something similar-  they had groups of six spaced out along the edge of field  ( I guess this was cheating as actually with babies it was groups of 12! 🤣)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enuffsenuf said:

🤣 In the words of John McEnroe - you cannot be serious!

Of course I will not just go back on Monday - I have known for weeks that we won't now re-open until September - this parents choice and I have huge respect for their decision making

I don't have a gung-ho attitude - not my style at all - always play everything by the book - prepare for a stealth boast now - maybe that's why my provision is judged as Outstanding!

Further to that, I am not sitting about feeling 'unwanted'- I was just sharing that I had a fairly miserable week 

I'm sure that you were trying to help, but really this didn't help at all 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1