Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 06/08/2022 at 18:41, Cait said:

A cup of tea/coffee and a bottle of water, biscuit or an apple chopped into wedges with the core cut out, satsuma peeled and the pith cleaned off, dish of grapes…….

Good idea - but you need to cut  some small cheese cubes too!

• Like 1

On 07/08/2022 at 17:51, blondie said:

where are you based Zigzag, it looks beautiful. xx

This is Coverack (we actually live in the next village) it’s down on the lizard peninsular in Cornwall.  I never take it for granted just how lucky we are to live in this beautiful place but at the moment I’m hardly leaving home as it is bedlam down here. Honestly feels like the whole world and his wife are here!

• Like 2

On 07/08/2022 at 22:27, Cait said:

So how’s everyone found the new framework?   Is it easier than the previous ones, is recording progress simpler or more tricky?   

To be completely honest I couldn’t get to grips with it at all. I found it far to loose and airy fairy. I loved the old EYFS and was really happy using it and still don’t understand why they changed it. I know a lot of people are raving about the new one but not me.  I actually think it was just one more curriculum change too many for me and was a small part that contributed to my decision to leave early years.

• Sad 2

So how’s everyone found the new framework?   Is it easier than the previous ones, is recording progress simpler or more tricky?   

Honestly?... Well personally I'm not really finding it that much different!  However, that could just be me, I'd cut down on so much paperwork in the last few years anyway - I'd done way with anything that was on no value to the child.

We are a small team in a small setting (up to 26 daily) staff all know their key children. When we had our inspection in Nov Ofsted were happy enough, and the only thing they mentioned - which I rather stupidly brought up 😬! - was that we'd missed a few of our 'update' meetings due to COVID. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 07/08/2022 at 19:34, zigzag said:

This is Coverack (we actually live in the next village) it’s down on the lizard peninsular in Cornwall.  I never take it for granted just how lucky we are to live in this beautiful place but at the moment I’m hardly leaving home as it is bedlam down here. Honestly feels like the whole world and his wife are here!

It is stunning. My sister lived in Plaidy (a short walk away from Looe) for some years and hated the summer months although we loved a visit there but rarely walked into Looe as way too busy. 

• Like 1

We never ventured into ‘The Lakes’ when we lived in Cumbria, during what was known locally as ‘the silly season’.  Living on the west coast, we always just went to the local beaches, which weren’t frequented by tourists.   Glorious beaches all along that coastline.  Drigg, in particular, near Sellafield, was always quiet as tourists were worried about radio activity 🤣🤭.   But the beaches from Maryport up to Skinburness are fantastic.   Fish and chips on the beach at Allonby or Silloth are hard to beat!   

Edited by Cait
  • Like 3

We hadn’t done any paper planning as such for a couple of years previously so that hasn’t really changed, agree with zigzag it’s too wish washy, 0 to 3 is ridiculous, 0 to 18m/18m to 3 yrs would have been better, especially for for less experienced/newly qualified staff to assess against, as manager I have found it difficult to know where all the chn are now, I nailed which Tapestry screens worked for me regards assessment and tracking, seeing that staff were on top of things, I have now gone back to a simple paper tracker that either says they’re developing ‘as expected’ or ‘with support’, I’m thinking about creating our own ‘this is what we’d expect by 2,3,4, in each area’ but whether I’ll be personally able to add that to Tapestry is yet to be seen 😕 

We don’t have paper next steps really, if a child has been recorded as ‘with support’ the KP needs to make all aware of what they are implementing under the 3I’s to support that child ….I guess that is their next steps, but not next steps for all that are making the progress we’d expect ….I hope that will be enough when Ofsted arrive  🤷‍♀️

All this talk of childhood holiday places I remember is making me yearn to visit those places again 🥰

• Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 08:56, Mouseketeer said:

We hadn’t done any paper planning as such for a couple of years previously so that hasn’t really changed, agree with zigzag it’s too wish washy, 0 to 3 is ridiculous, 0 to 18m/18m to 3 yrs would have been better, especially for for less experienced/newly qualified staff to assess against, as manager I have found it difficult to know where all the chn are now, I nailed which Tapestry screens worked for me regards assessment and tracking, seeing that staff were on top of things, I have now gone back to a simple paper tracker that either says they’re developing ‘as expected’ or ‘with support’, I’m thinking about creating our own ‘this is what we’d expect by 2,3,4, in each area’ but whether I’ll be personally able to add that to Tapestry is yet to be seen 😕 

We don’t have paper next steps really, if a child has been recorded as ‘with support’ the KP needs to make all aware of what they are implementing under the 3I’s to support that child ….I guess that is their next steps, but not next steps for all that are making the progress we’d expect ….I hope that will be enough when Ofsted arrive  🤷‍♀️

All this talk of childhood holiday places I remember is making me yearn to visit those places again 🥰

Sounds very similar to us. We do paper tracking as you described. We stuck with the DM in the end.  Ofsted seemed happy enough with our staff knowledge rather then written next steps.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 19:25, louby loo said:

Sounds very similar to us. We do paper tracking as you described. We stuck with the DM in the end.  Ofsted seemed happy enough with our staff knowledge rather then written next steps.

Same here. Talked at length with Mrs O about planning. what we do and why but not once did she even hint at seeing written plans or next steps.

• Like 1

Hellooooooooo down there! can you see me up here on the rooftops? I am about to shout as loud as I possible can ......

The last six years have been a tough ride for one of my sons and his wife. they have been travelling the gruelling road of IVF and it has been such a journey. Sadly a successful IVF treatment ended in a vey early miscarriage :-((((  They took time to heal physically and emotionally and today they have been to tell us that the latest round has been a success. They are now 11 weeks pregnant and the Dr's are exceedingly happy and positive. She is being given the very best of care and being seen weekly. We have everything crossed for the outcome we have all hoped for so very long.

Yep blinded by tears as i type i cannot express what this truly means but i know you lovely lot will understand. :-)

• Like 7

On 11/08/2022 at 10:24, blondie said:

don't keep rubbing it in lol. x

Don’t forget I’m not enjoying it I am actually cleaning peoples homes and holiday homes and in this heat it’s not much fun!🥵🥵 Only the holiday makers are enjoying the beaches at the moment. All though I did get a deserted beach yesterday morning but it was before 6am!

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 19:50, Gezabel said:

Hellooooooooo down there! can you see me up here on the rooftops? I am about to shout as loud as I possible can ......

The last six years have been a tough ride for one of my sons and his wife. they have been travelling the gruelling road of IVF and it has been such a journey. Sadly a successful IVF treatment ended in a vey early miscarriage :-((((  They took time to heal physically and emotionally and today they have been to tell us that the latest round has been a success. They are now 11 weeks pregnant and the Dr's are exceedingly happy and positive. She is being given the very best of care and being seen weekly. We have everything crossed for the outcome we have all hoped for so very long.

Yep blinded by tears as i type i cannot express what this truly means but i know you lovely lot will understand. :-)

You brought a tear to my eye! Congratulations!

Awww Gezabel that’s fantastic, best wishes for a continued healthy pregnancy 🤞

Thanks for the ‘next step’ info, we were pulled up during feedback for not having ‘written next steps’ at our last inspection, even though the inspector praised staff for knowing the children very well, I would question  it this time round and asked if they’ve actually watched any of Phil & Wendy’s video’s 🤣 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 09:19, sunnyday said:

Good morning all - tis Friday!

My little village made the national news this morning in connection with water matters - I think the beeb have adopted us😃

Have a lovely weekend x

I saw that and wondered if it was your village! 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2022 at 09:25, zigzag said:

I saw that and wondered if it was your village! 

It was zigzag!

I have well and truly 'outed' myself here - but I don't really care now that I am retired - the parched village green that was shown is exactly where I live, but a bit further down...oh and dear Doris, isn't she wonderful...

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 09:19, sunnyday said:

Good morning all - tis Friday!

My little village made the national news this morning in connection with water matters - I think the beeb have adopted us😃

Have a lovely weekend x

yes I saw it on local news  - you obviously fulfill the Beeb's love of the "worst" story they can find😆  I did disagree with my husband for a long time that the BBC were only happy when making mischief for governments and  organisations but lately I do see what he means.    Just doesn't really go anywhere though does it - when they were trying to show the plight of nurseries did it really make a difference?

On 12/08/2022 at 12:31, Panders said:

yes I saw it on local news  - you obviously fulfill the Beeb's love of the "worst" story they can find😆  I did disagree with my husband for a long time that the BBC were only happy when making mischief for governments and  organisations but lately I do see what he means.    Just doesn't really go anywhere though does it - when they were trying to show the plight of nurseries did it really make a difference?

I think Mr Panders is quite right - but..........they were jolly useful to us when we were in the midst of the week with no water 🤣 I know it was no coincidence that when they turned up to film we got some water even if it was only for the short amount of time that they were here

• Like 3