Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

The Danish biscuits are only called that because they're in a Danish recipe book that my mum picked up when she visited Denmark about 30 years ago!  They are the kind you make dough for, make into a roll and then slice the biscuits off to cook as many as you want at a time.  It makes 2 rolls of dough and I'm planning to freeze one.  The gingerbread is the soft cakey kind - black treacle and golden syrup inside.

3 hours ago, Froglet said:

The Danish biscuits are only called that because they're in a Danish recipe book that my mum picked up when she visited Denmark about 30 years ago!  They are the kind you make dough for, make into a roll and then slice the biscuits off to cook as many as you want at a time.  It makes 2 rolls of dough and I'm planning to freeze one.  The gingerbread is the soft cakey kind - black treacle and golden syrup inside.

My daughter used to make those and bring us the 'rolls' over for us to freeze and use as and when.  I shall have to remind her she needs to start doing this again 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zigzag said:

I make a recipe that is similar to the Mcvities Jamaican ginger cake. It’s delicious and is meant to get better with age! But it NEVER lasts long enough to find out in out household!

I’m glad it’s not just me! It’s like when the fudge recipe says ‘keeps for 2 weeks in an airtight tin.’ Seriously?!

• Haha 4

Ooh lots of cake and biscuits chat - two of my favourite subjects😂

Sunday lunch at youngest sons was lovely, it was so good to see our eldest granddaughter and incredibly chuffed that this lunch was her choice of activity for today (I didn't know that and was a bit worried that we might be keeping her from seeing friends)

Apparently she was quite poorly last week with a water infection, one of the boys that lives in the same Uni house looked after and collected her anti-biotics for her etc. so her dad/my son sent a bottle of JD to him...her younger sister (15) said "he is a bit of a 'mafia dad', you look after my daughter and I'll look after you" 🤣🤣🤣

Really good to hear that she is getting face to face lectures this year - she didn't even get onto campus last year, I have a bit of an issue with her having to pay 9k for online lectures, but hey ho it is what it is

• Like 2

As a professor, my son is on the other end of the ‘online lecture’ and it’s been incredibly hard to motivate students and timetable things, especially as he was suddenly responsible for students in Dubai as well!   They’re continuing with online at least until Christmas break.    

2 hours ago, Cait said:

As a professor, my son is on the other end of the ‘online lecture’ and it’s been incredibly hard to motivate students and timetable things, especially as he was suddenly responsible for students in Dubai as well!   They’re continuing with online at least until Christmas break.    

Yes of course Cait I do understand, it has been a very frustrating time for all

• Like 1

Can't believe it's Friday already. No preschool work done all week I seem to have adopted a NTDL attitude recently (a Not To Do Lit) 🤣

I fell upon this method once I realised nothing really matters in the end!  

My 'peaceful week alone' resulted in my daughter coming over every day as she felt I needed the company.... which was lovely but it meant none of my planned cleaning decluttering got done.😭  I think the company was for her really rather than me though! She has been on maternity leave since  mid Dec 19, then was put on furlough, and then last month when furlough ended she was made redundant. She didn't really get a chance to make any 'mum friends' as such as no groups where running etc, and then few did make have now all returned to work!

Have a good week-end every one

• Like 4

Louby - I love the idea of an NTDL - I think I’m already an expert! Sorry your daughters been feeling a bit out of things. I hope she finds her balance soon. 

I’ve been feeling nauseous for the last two days and have slept a lot. No idea what caused it. I think that today I might be back to normal (touch wood).

I have som governor paperwork to sort but am also crocheting a pumpkin - my post lady saw one of mine in my front window, knocked in my door and asked if she could have one too! I was so touched. Plus I have some festive socks to finish - I have done a pair for me and one for my niece. I am half way through one for my nephew and I want to make a pair for my youngest niece too.

I did do a little bit of yarn sorting earlier in the week…I may have a problem! 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Can't believe it's Friday already. No preschool work done all week I seem to have adopted a NTDL attitude recently (a Not To Do Lit) 🤣

I fell upon this method once I realised nothing really matters in the end!  

My 'peaceful week alone' resulted in my daughter coming over every day as she felt I needed the - company.... which was lovely but it meant none of my planned cleaning decluttering got done.😭  I think the company was for her really rather than me though! She has been on maternity leave since  mid Dec 19, then was put on furlough, and then last month when furlough ended she was made redundant. She didn't really get a chance to make any 'mum friends' as such as no groups where running etc, and then few did make have now all returned to work!

Have a good week-end every one

I think a 'NTDL' is a fabulous idea - as you say 'nothing really matters in the end' - same applies really to your planned cleaning/decluttering - far better to spend your time with your daughter and granddaughter in my humble...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

Sorry your daughters been feeling a bit out of things. I hope she finds her balance soon. 

I did do a little bit of yarn sorting earlier in the week…I may have a problem! 😉

Thank you x

And... I think KNOW  if have a fabric addiction !

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

as you say 'nothing really matters in the end' - same applies really to your planned cleaning/decluttering - far better to spend your time with your daughter and granddaughter in my humble...

So very true.  xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

Louby - I love the idea of an NTDL - I think I’m already an expert! Sorry your daughters been feeling a bit out of things. I hope she finds her balance soon. 

I’ve been feeling nauseous for the last two days and have slept a lot. No idea what caused it. I think that today I might be back to normal (touch wood).

I have som governor paperwork to sort but am also crocheting a pumpkin - my post lady saw one of mine in my front window, knocked in my door and asked if she could have one too! I was so touched. Plus I have some festive socks to finish - I have done a pair for me and one for my niece. I am half way through one for my nephew and I want to make a pair for my youngest niece too.

Oh no I'm so sorry to read that you have been feeling unwell hope that you are really 'back to normal' - don't overdo things today

How lovely that your post-lady liked your pumpkin so much

I was going to give the sock knitting a go but then got involved in knitting poppies for the church, I still need to add the wires and florist tape to those, but then I had an email from Age UK with news that they have extended the deadline for their campaign with Innocent smoothies, they want lots of little hats knitted, they get 25p for each one sold atop a smoothie bottle, so that's what I have moved onto now

15 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Oh no I'm so sorry to read that you have been feeling unwell hope that you are really 'back to normal' - don't overdo things today

How lovely that your post-lady liked your pumpkin so much

I was going to give the sock knitting a go but then got involved in knitting poppies for the church, I still need to add the wires and florist tape to those, but then I had an email from Age UK with news that they have extended the deadline for their campaign with Innocent smoothies, they want lots of little hats knitted, they get 25p for each one sold atop a smoothie bottle, so that's what I have moved onto now

Ah thank you! Don’t worry, I’m not overdoing anything. It’s the weirdest feeling - I think I’d almost rather have been properly sick and got it over and done with. Currently drinking some homemade ginger tea which is helping lots. 
Good to hear about the innocent smoothie hats. I was thinking they’d be a good way to use up some of ends of yarn!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Ah thank you! Don’t worry, I’m not overdoing anything. It’s the weirdest feeling - I think I’d almost rather have been properly sick and got it over and done with. Currently drinking some homemade ginger tea which is helping lots. 
Good to hear about the innocent smoothie hats. I was thinking they’d be a good way to use up some of ends of yarn!

Vertigo?  Not full blown vertigo- but more of a woshie type feeling?   

I've had this a couple of times, and been able to sleep it off, think it's the body telling asking for a bit of rest when I've been over thinking  things rather that physically busy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Vertigo?  Not full blown vertigo- but more of a woshie type feeling?   

I've had this a couple of times, and been able to sleep it off, think it's the body telling asking for a bit of rest when I've been over thinking  things rather that physically busy.

I don’t know. Just kept getting that horrible clammy round the mouth and hot cold feeling and absolutely no inclination to eat! I’m on the second week of my holiday so pretty well rested - mentally and physically.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

And... I think KNOW  if have a fabric addiction !

Do you know, I think I'm developing one of those.   Gone from having zero fabric to two shopping bags full in a couple of months.    But have been steadily using it to make drawstring bags, and bedding and nappies for baby dolls etc.  Think my other half will be quite pleased when the current obsession to sew has died down a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I did a tiny bit of work on Monday but since then absolutely nothing!  I think I have reached the same conclusion as you Louby that nothing matters in the end!  I have never in 19 years NOT wanted to return to school more than I do now.  I am dreading Monday and that really isn’t like me at all.   Anyway,  it going to think about that until Monday morning. My husbands just home from working away all week so am going to try and switch off from worrying about work.  Have a lovely weekend all. Xx

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I did a tiny bit of work on Monday but since then absolutely nothing!  I think I have reached the same conclusion as you Louby that nothing matters in the end!  I have never in 19 years NOT wanted to return to school more than I do now.  I am dreading Monday and that really isn’t like me at all.   Anyway,  it going to think about that until Monday morning. My husbands just home from working away all week so am going to try and switch off from worrying about work.  Have a lovely weekend all. Xx

Oh zigzag that is very sad, sending a huge virtual hug to you x

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Accept and own it. If things aren't done it really doesn't matter!  Since adopting this attitude and accepting it I've actually found I feel a lot better. I know my staff know their key children, we keep them all safe, what more do we actually need to do?  their education comes with our routines and our conversations :) 

In the summer term I was constantly worrying about ofsted, now I'm like... meh, they'll either like us or not, and nothing I can do will actually change that!

At the end of the day your mental health is -and should be- your top priority.   This pandemic has shown that we [us personally] are not actually that important in the wider scheme of things- we were made to jump through hoops for little reward, and no respect for what we do. Our parents are lovely, but even then, many them are now becoming very entitled in their expectations of us.  I totally blame  the government for offering 'free' childcare- then expect us to make it an education on the cheap.

I've even booked my week away during term time the week before we break up for Christmas, I am literally back for the last two days!

Enjoy your week-end! 💐🍫👩‍❤️‍👨 🥂

• Like 4

15 hours ago, louby loo said:

Our parents are lovely, but even then, many them are now becoming very entitled in their expectations of us.  I totally blame  the government for offering 'free' childcare- then expect us to make it an education on the cheap.

Exactly the same! We just have a couple of parents who can make life hell if they don’t get their own way, you sum it up perfectly with they feel entitled and this is just what it is.

Like you we have been expecting Ofsted for ages (last inspected 2014) I was so het  up about it but like you I now think “this is us, the kids love us, the parents (mostly) think we are great, the children are happy, safe and progressing what more can we do. I now have a case of the “F**k ems) not just to Ofsted but to everyone. I’ve spent 19 years giving this job my everything and at the end of the day who cares? The expectations and pressure just increase and whatever we do is never good enough. Especially it seems in the government’s eyes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Like you we have been expecting Ofsted for ages (last inspected 2014) I was so het  up about it but like you I now think “this is us, the kids love us, the parents (mostly) think we are great, the children are happy, safe and progressing what more can we do. I now have a case of the “F**k ems) not just to Ofsted but to everyone. I’ve spent 19 years giving this job my everything and at the end of the day who cares? The expectations and pressure just increase and whatever we do is never good enough. Especially it seems in the government’s eyes.

Exactly!  Just make yourself number one for a change!   My staff have fully supported my new attitude, and to be honest I think it's actually made every one else more relaxed too 😊

I've just been reading on Facebook about an Ofsted loophole that some settings use, basically you get a bad report you just change your name, re-register and start again with a clean slate! 😮  That might explain why a big full daycare near us keeps changing names 😳😂

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

sums it all up for me...would just add bl**dy Ofsted, they have no idea of the stress that they can cause for dedicated practitioners

Believe you me, I have EVERY intention of telling them exactly how much stress they have caused me when they do actually turn up!!!!!!!!!!!!

rant over 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, zigzag said:

I know where you are coming from zigzag, I’m really not looking forward to this half term, also did a few hours on Monday but have taken the rest of week practically to chill and do what I wanted to do, which is mainly knit baby things since finding out recently that I’m going to be a nanny next spring …..so excited 😆 

We could be due Ofsted any time in the next 2 years now I guess (post 4 yrs now), I’m not sure all my team are strong enough to talk the talk now that more expectation will be on staff than mainly speaking with managers, but can’t be worrying about that for the next 2 years. 

Hope you all have a stress free half term 🤞

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 4

I agree - practitioners know what they are doing but might not be able to put it into words when questioned. I think (like everyone else) that as long as you can all see that the children are happy, progressing etc., then whatever the outcome Ofsted wise you all know you are doing a great job. xx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

I know where you are coming from zigzag, I’m really not looking forward to this half term, also did a few hours on Monday but have taken the rest of week practically to chill and do what I wanted to do, which is mainly knit baby things since finding out recently that I’m going to be a nanny next spring …..so excited 😆 

We could be due Ofsted any time in the next 2 years now I guess (post 4 yrs now), I’m not sure all my team are strong enough to talk the talk now that more expectation will be on staff than mainly speaking with managers, but can’t be worrying about that for the next 2 years. 

Hope you all have a stress free half term 🤞

1) So excited for you :) Best thing ever.... and I haven't done anything work-wise this half term other than updating our register- and the main reason for this is my granddaughter 😂.  Time goes so fast and she's growing up so quickly- so she get my time 😊😊

2) Exactly that! My team are in absolute panic about the 'questioning' by Ofsted.  I've now stopped everything, the only thing we do is: I have a small box of EYFS 'questions'. that I found on various internet searches, and we sometimes just pick a few out and discuss in an informal/fun way.

• Like 3