Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Not Friday - but I just have to share - I have just completed my last ever 'headcount' yay!

No idea why I find that such a stressful task but I do, anyway that's it my last one submitted - as long as my balancing payment comes through as expected, I am done with that 😃

Congratulations!   One of the ‘lasts’ you’ll enjoy this coming term! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Not Friday - but I just have to share - I have just completed my last ever 'headcount' yay!

No idea why I find that such a stressful task but I do, anyway that's it my last one submitted - as long as my balancing payment comes through as expected, I am done with that 😃

Ha ha, I know what you mean- literally just done mine just now!

I had a chat with my deputy Monday. ...... she's told me when I go- she goes!🙀  I was priming her for my retirement 😳

32 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Ha ha, I know what you mean- literally just done mine just now!

I had a chat with my deputy Monday. ...... she's told me when I go- she goes!🙀  I was priming her for my retirement 😳

Oh crikey louby 🤦‍♀️

Crumbs Loubyloo - a changing of the watch so to speak.    It's so hard when you have worked alongside someone for so long and  one's staff are so loyal to one person - they stay because you stay, you stay because you can't imagine leaving them and it all behind, and for some of us our pre-schools have been almost a life's work, to think of completely new people running it their way is hard.   I admit to going a certain amount out of my way so that I do not pass by my old setting which is literally 5 minutes drive from home, although I wish the new people in there every luck in the world, and by golly have they needed it this past year or so.     

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Panders said:

Crumbs Loubyloo - a changing of the watch so to speak.    It's so hard when you have worked alongside someone for so long and  one's staff are so loyal to one person - they stay because you stay, you stay because you can't imagine leaving them and it all behind, and for some of us our pre-schools have been almost a life's work, to think of completely new people running it their way is hard.   I admit to going a certain amount out of my way so that I do not pass by my old setting which is literally 5 minutes drive from home, although I wish the new people in there every luck in the world, and by golly have they needed it this past year or so.     

I find myself wondering how I will feel in September when 'it's all going on without me' - sure I'll be fine...

Have expected a couple of 'lasts' to make me feel a bit sad - but no nothing so far, so I reckon it's the right time for me - it's a 'done deal' now anyway so no going back

• Like 2

Strangely Sunnyday, I think the last year has been an eye opener, - you have been able to see what life away from the routine of pre-school is like, except that come September, hopefully anyway, you will have far more freedom to do as you please.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

If you miss it anytime soon sunnyday I haven’t done mine yet 🙈

Panders you’ve summed it up so well, I can’t imagine it not being ‘my’ pre-school

Gosh I’m so glad that there are other people who think like this. It really is my baby and I need to remember that it was formed without me and will one day continue to run without me.  I really am so possessive of it but also when I let myself, very proud of how far it has developed and come on since I took over 18 years ago.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

Gosh I’m so glad that there are other people who think like this. It really is my baby and I need to remember that it was formed without me and will one day continue to run without me.  I really am so possessive of it but also when I let myself, very proud of how far it has developed and come on since I took over 18 years ago.

And mine zigzag, it panics me that one day I’ll have to walk away or be dragged kicking and screaming, I will have been manager for 30 yrs at the end of this term and didn’t even want the job but nor did anyone else and it was going to close. I’d like to see it go in another direction if I’m honest ...maybe move under the school umbrella (we are on a school site but still separate).

• Like 3

Well another Friday has come round so quickly

Have had a difficult situation to deal with this week, long story short, two warring parents, who would like to drag me into their divorce and childcare arrangements, no chance of that happening, secretly I would love to bang their heads together but that would be considered unprofessional...

So I am fairly pleased that not only is it Friday but we have three days off now

Have a lovely long weekend all x

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes another Friday done.  We have just had a long awaited staff meal!   We actually had full uninterrupted  conversations 😂  

Obviously outside, but lovely country pub with really good food...... I chose from a menu and had hot food cooked for me!!!!!!!!!!! (wine was had too 😁) apart from the obvious restrictions it was good to feel normal for a few hours. We haven't had a meal together for over a year and it was so relaxing, and  it's been reasonably sunny here today. Although I must say the short walk to the pub was a tad scary down a country lane but worth if for the wine 😂 and we did all get collected to go home. 😊

I'm feeling upbeat, ready for our very imminent inspection from any time next Tuesday onwards 😳

and sunnyday... just go ahead and whack those heads together!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm feeling upbeat, ready for our very imminent inspection from any time next Tuesday onwards 😳

I wish I was feeling upbeat! Before Covid, I felt as ready as I could be for Ofsted but I now just feel out of touch with it all! Have been so preoccupied with settling children and trying to stay sane that I am now in a bit of a panic! We haven’t been inspected since 2014 so it surely has to be one of the first inspections. So worried that I have not crossed an i and dotted a t somewhere and going to get caught out on something ridiculous. I think I am going to spend Tuesday going through everything and refreshing myself.  I think the last year has lulled me into a false sense of security.  But I do know that I have happy children, happy parents and we are doing the best we can!  Any prompts of things I need to check, refresh myself with would be most welcomed.

Have a lovely weekend xx

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I wish I was feeling upbeat! Before Covid, I felt as ready as I could be for Ofsted but I now just feel out of touch with it all! Have been so preoccupied with settling children and trying to stay sane that I am now in a bit of a panic! We haven’t been inspected since 2014 so it surely has to be one of the first inspections. So worried that I have not crossed an i and dotted a t somewhere and going to get caught out on something ridiculous. I think I am going to spend Tuesday going through everything and refreshing myself.  I think the last year has lulled me into a false sense of security.  But I do know that I have happy children, happy parents and we are doing the best we can!  Any prompts of things I need to check, refresh myself with would be most welcomed.

Have a lovely weekend xx

Crikey zigzag 2014...

Make sure that everyone is up to date with safeguarding - hmm there must be more, I will have a 'think'

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Yes another Friday done.  We have just had a long awaited staff meal!   We actually had full uninterrupted  conversations 😂  

Obviously outside, but lovely country pub with really good food...... I chose from a menu and had hot food cooked for me!!!!!!!!!!! (wine was had too 😁) apart from the obvious restrictions it was good to feel normal for a few hours. We haven't had a meal together for over a year and it was so relaxing, and  it's been reasonably sunny here today. Although I must say the short walk to the pub was a tad scary down a country lane but worth if for the wine 😂 and we did all get collected to go home. 😊

and sunnyday... just go ahead and whack those heads together!

louby - your lunch sounds lovely, so good to have a bit of 'normality'

When was your last inspection?

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

louby - your lunch sounds lovely, so good to have a bit of 'normality'

When was your last inspection?

We had to reregister when the then owner left owing loads of 14k rent arrears and I ended up taking it over. Technically we haven't actually had an inspection which puts us as a priority. 😭.    Slightly worried as we are 'covid weary' now and have slipped into bad habits - which was why today was so good as we could relax, chat and recognise our failings ready to get 'back on it' as it were. Staff all now feeling more confident. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, louby loo said:

We had to reregister when the then owner left owing loads of 14k rent arrears and I ended up taking it over. Technically we haven't actually had an inspection which puts us as a priority. 😭.    Slightly worried as we are 'covid weary' now and have slipped into bad habits - which was why today was so good as we could relax, chat and recognise our failings ready to get 'back on it' as it were. Staff all now feeling more confident. 

I'm sure that 'Covid weary' and 'slipped into bad habits' applies to us all if we are being honest

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I'm sure that 'Covid weary' and 'slipped into bad habits' applies to us all if we are being honest

It sure does...who remembers when pleasing Ofsted was all we worried about ? I think it’s just dawning on us all now the news is they are back on for Sept (do any of you meet the criteria to warrant a from May inspection?) and with all the changes to think about too for Sept.

I’m sure you’ll all be amazing when it happens....safeguarding as sunnyday says, I think well-being will be on the agenda and I’m beginning to drip things like the 3’Is, FBVs, cultural capital back into staff thinking.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

(do any of you meet the criteria to warrant a from May inspection?) 

I think we do possibly having technically never had an inspection? Part of me is hoping that as everything  has remained the same since our last inspection- apart from the non setting based owner, that we may at least get to June before we have one. (give staff time to fully get our act together again) xx

As with every Ofsted, I found it good to read recent reports to find out what the current focus seems to be - we all know that they have a ‘thing’ each time and it’s good to be aware of what that is, up front.   The perennial is safeguarding - are all your forms in? Your Ey2’s etc.  Are you tracking progress well, and can you prove it? Is everyone singing from the same excellent hymn sheet?  Is there obvious drive and enthusiasm for the job?   That sort of thing really.   I assume things haven’t changed that much since I was in harness. 

• Like 3

We have a new member of staff since last inspection, refresh my memory do I need to notify Ofsted. She is not a nominated person and has been through the DBS etc. I am struggling with the gov website which replaces the Ofsted online. I know that all my committee details are up to date.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

We have a new member of staff since last inspection, refresh my memory do I need to notify Ofsted. She is not a nominated person and has been through the DBS etc. I am struggling with the gov website which replaces the Ofsted online. I know that all my committee details are up to date.

Just committee and manager  

xx

32 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Phew. Thank you. I seemed to have gone into panic mode😬

Oh no - don't panic, probably won't even happen before end of summer terms and even if it does you will be fine x

I'm thinking that surely they will have to do the 'requires improvement' settings first 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Oh no - don't panic, probably won't even happen before end of summer terms and even if it does you will be fine x

I'm thinking that surely they will have to do the 'requires improvement' settings first 🤷‍♀️

I do so hope that you are right. It’s just frightened me how lapse with it I have become. Not lapse with anything that affects the children you understand but the rest. Covid brain seems to have taken over and if I am like this, vid knows what the rest of the staff team will be like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

I do so hope that you are right. It’s just frightened me how lapse with it I have become. Not lapse with anything that affects the children you understand but the rest. Covid brain seems to have taken over and if I am like this, vid knows what the rest of the staff team will be like.

This is how we feel too!  The children's safety has always be foremost - but everything else has slipped, actually I would say children safety and staff mental well being has been our top priority - and I will be telling Ofsted this. 

It did say priority would be given to requires improvement and no previous inspection (which we will will now come under 😭).. I'm hoping the requires improvement will give us hopefully a month or so to get back up to speed.

I will now be eagerly  waiting to read any new reports from 4th May onwards.  

I did have a panic moment Friday when I got a call from an 'no caller ID' number..... sunnyday will like this- it was a headcount query 🤣🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

This is how we feel too!  The children's safety has always be foremost - but everything else has slipped, actually I would say children safety and staff mental well being has been our top priority - and I will be telling Ofsted this. 

It did say priority would be given to requires improvement and no previous inspection (which we will will now come under 😭).. I'm hoping the requires improvement will give us hopefully a month or so to get back up to speed.

I will now be eagerly  waiting to read any new reports from 4th May onwards.  

I did have a panic moment Friday when I got a call from an 'no caller ID' number..... sunnyday will like this- it was a headcount query 🤣🤣

I actually cannot believe they are not waiting until September. I think they could have just given everyone until September to get fully back into the swing of things and a bit of time to digest the last year. I know inspections have to restart sometime but I think we have all dealt with enough this last year.  I mean not even parents are coming into our setting yet!

• Like 3

Random question....why is it that when early years is mainly managed and staffed by women that there are so many men leading us? I have just watched several videos about new DM's and curriculum for September and all of them were led by men....Why?????? are women not seen as being good enough? intelligent enough? or do we just allow ourselves to be badly paid employees??????? 

I wouldn't mind if any of them had actually answered the actual question they were posed!!!

sorry...ranting!

• Like 3