Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

So I am very grateful that all our children without exception are happy to be back at school with their friends.  Friendships have just picked up again with no problems.  But listening skills have completely gone out of the window which has really shocked me! Dressing skills are practically non existent and trying to get waterproofs and welly boots on 14 children accompanied by the “I can’t do it” chant nearly drove me over the edge yesterday.  Luckily we only have one child at the moment who has some behaviours that need keeping an eye on. I just hope the 4 new children starting after Easter settle easily.  I am incredibly happy that I have chosen now to drop my two afternoon sessions and I was expecting to find it very hard walking out and leaving everyone still there but it was actually quite easy!  Although the children were so confused as they are hardly ever without me there!  I really do think this is the first steps to me giving up eventually!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cait said:

Ugh.   It was to be expected I suppose - plus high winds always seem to affect them.  I hope today is less challenging. 

Funny you should mention the wind. We have had one child in throughout .......... today he's not in because it's windy!🤣.  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, zigzag said:

So I am very grateful that all our children without exception are happy to be back at school with their friends.  Friendships have just picked up again with no problems.  But listening skills have completely gone out of the window which has really shocked me! Dressing skills are practically non existent and trying to get waterproofs and welly boots on 14 children accompanied by the “I can’t do it” chant nearly drove me over the edge yesterday.  Luckily we only have one child at the moment who has some behaviours that need keeping an eye on. I just hope the 4 new children starting after Easter settle easily.  I am incredibly happy that I have chosen now to drop my two afternoon sessions and I was expecting to find it very hard walking out and leaving everyone still there but it was actually quite easy!  Although the children were so confused as they are hardly ever without me there!  I really do think this is the first steps to me giving up eventually!

It’s as if they’ve all reverted to 2 year olds and that’s probably doing 2 year olds a disservice, I’ve gone from being supernumerary to full time ratio and my tired is tired .......I could happily call it a day right now 🥺

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

It’s as if they’ve all reverted to 2 year olds and that’s probably doing 2 year olds a disservice, I’ve gone from being supernumerary to full time ratio and my tired is tired .......I could happily call it a day right now 🥺

some of ours that have just returned seem to have lost all their language skills and still in nappies even though parents have had ages to sort this out. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I don’t know about anyone else but  is it really only Wednesday done?  the extra few back this week have really changed the dynamics of the setting ...they are really loud, not listening to anything you ask them to do or not do, independence is zilch, we already have a few loud/challenging children but these later ones back in the mix have caused it to escalate  .....yesterday just seemed to be spent on crowd control, I hope this is only short term 🤦‍♀️

I am experiencing exactly the same although weirdly most of the 'issues' are coming from those who were already in school.  It's as if they somehow need to reassert themselves with the return of 9 additional children.  I have a couple of girls who have gone into full on teenage mode (they are 5) and are doing things like mimicking any adult that tells them to do something like 'H please sit on your chair' to be met with a roll of the eyes and a repeated sneering 'please sit on your chair'.  They have already had one serious telling off and will get another plus messages home to parents if tomorrow isn't better!!

• Sad 3

Roll on some good weather. This constant rain is getting me down.  Having soaking wet waterproofs hanging around, then having to put them back on anytime we are going out is so time consuming.  Then the other morning some of the our waterproof coats just gave up and couldn’t cope with the deluge and despite us supplying every child with a full set of waterproofs we still had some arrive in fashion coats which ended up drenched through. I am determined to spend time outside whatever the weather each day and this is not a popular decision with some parents and am working hard to try and make them see the benefits so the waterproofs failing did not help the situation. I want summer now!

Anyway have a happy Friday all, stay safe. X

• Like 1

Another Friday!

It has been so good to be back into the swing of things this week - my sister said "it makes so you so happy, remind me why you want to retire"

I explained that I love being with the children but I just don't want any of the cr*p that goes with it anymore - speaking of which has everyone been receiving Lateral Flow Test kits this week? We have, not sure that I understand why we are not allowed to start using them until 22nd March......

Have a lovely weekend

We received our test kits today.  I do not understand the logic of not using them until the 22nd! What on earth is that all about? 
Im not sure we are going to use them. We have just got back and settled and one false positive will mean closing until a PCR test can be done. I have heard that there are a lot of false positives with these and just don’t know if it’s worth the disruption to the setting. I have yet to make a decision on it. What’s everyone else’s thoughts?   Plus you can bet your life there is going to be extra paper work and recording to go with it.!

8 minutes ago, zigzag said:

We received our test kits today.  I do not understand the logic of not using them until the 22nd! What on earth is that all about? 
Im not sure we are going to use them. We have just got back and settled and one false positive will mean closing until a PCR test can be done. I have heard that there are a lot of false positives with these and just don’t know if it’s worth the disruption to the setting. I have yet to make a decision on it. What’s everyone else’s thoughts?   Plus you can bet your life there is going to be extra paper work and recording to go with it.!

One staff member is really keen to use them

I wondered about the recording of results too - are we going to be expected to upload them somewhere - I started to work my way through some info videos earlier - but soon lost the will to live and gave up on that - why do they have to make a simple thing so flippin' complicated 🤦‍♀️

• Sad 1

Did anyone actually get the correct instructions included in their package. I didn't 😬

On another note- ours came direct to the setting when we were closed!   We don't even have a post box to get 'carded" so I'm not sure what would have happened if it wasn't for our fantastic post office.... who just redirected them to my house. .   Our new regular postman just looked at me and said 'apparently these are for you?"  

Happy Friday everyone.  I've just done my first proper craft-time with my granddaughter - we made 😁 a Mother's Day card for mummy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Did anyone actually get the correct instructions included in their package. I didn't 😬

On another note- ours came direct to the setting when we were closed!   We don't even have a post box to get 'carded" so I'm not sure what would have happened if it wasn't for our fantastic post office.... who just redirected them to my house. .   Our new regular postman just looked at me and said 'apparently these are for you?"  

Happy Friday everyone.  I've just done my first proper craft-time with my granddaughter - we made 😁 a Mother's Day card for mummy.

No instructions

We have the best ever postie - she delivered them to my house

Lovely to be crafting with your granddaughter x

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

No instructions

We have the best ever postie - she delivered them to my house

Lovely to be crafting with your granddaughter x

Well having compared the 'old' instructions with the new (viewed online) I can confirm the instructions are exactly the same!  The only difference is new one has a plain front cover and is called 1.3.1.... whilst he older is called 1.3.2 !!! (both versions even have the same date!)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Can you believe it!!

Have anyone else received their email yet telling us we're getting masks now!

It’s a flaming joke! Where where they at the height of the pandemic? 😡.  Also I am so disgusted and enraged on behalf of our childminder colleagues that they do not have access to tests or masks! 

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

It’s a flaming joke! Where where they at the height of the pandemic? 😡.  Also I am so disgusted and enraged on behalf of our childminder colleagues that they do not have access to tests or masks! 

It’s all bloody ridiculous! especially now we can get them for our households and children’s households 😕 not see the mask wearing though ...where was that? 🤯

post 4hr vaccine and so far so good 🤞

are any of you putting a LFT policy together? And guess we need to make parents aware they can order them too.

edit - found the mask info, I’m reading it that we still only need to wear in setting in communal spaces rather than in the playroom with chn is that correct? We don’t have corridors or staff rooms, only 1 in the kitchen at a time (it’s tiny) 🤔 

Edited by Mouseketeer

33 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

It’s all bloody ridiculous! especially now we can get them for our households and children’s households 😕 not see the mask wearing though ...where was that? 🤯

post 4hr vaccine and so far so good 🤞

are any of you putting a LFT policy together? And guess we need to make parents aware they can order them too.

edit - found the mask info, I’m reading it that we still only need to wear in setting in communal spaces rather than in the playroom with chn is that correct? We don’t have corridors or staff rooms, only 1 in the kitchen at a time (it’s tiny) 🤔 

Yes wearing just in communal areas and I guess if when you are talking to parents and cannot socially distance. I have noticed a few times now when I have needed to talk to a parent or get them to sign the accident book etc that sometimes it’s not possible to keep to social distancing and think we may start wearing masks at handover time. I have also noticed a bit of an air of complacency amongst the parents and think perhaps people are starting to forget the need to still comply to distancing etc.

4 hours ago, louby loo said:

Can you believe it!!

Have anyone else received their email yet telling us we're getting masks now!

Yep!! 

Made me laugh out loud when I read that one! What a waste of time and money. Wish they'd send us gloves- going through those like crazy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Yes wearing just in communal areas and I guess if when you are talking to parents and cannot socially distance. I have noticed a few times now when I have needed to talk to a parent or get them to sign the accident book etc that sometimes it’s not possible to keep to social distancing and think we may start wearing masks at handover time. I have also noticed a bit of an air of complacency amongst the parents and think perhaps people are starting to forget the need to still comply to distancing etc.

We’ve been wearing masks or shields at open/close since Sept so that’s embedded in practice now, we are sending accident reports via email and asking parents to do the same from home but I am going to seem paper funding forms home this time as it takes so long to scan them all in and email.

1 hour ago, lynned55 said:

Yep!! 

Made me laugh out loud when I read that one! What a waste of time and money. Wish they'd send us gloves- going through those like crazy

We did receive 2x boxes of gloves along with shields a couple of months ago, I buy 70p for 100 packs from the consortium (like the ones in hair dye boxes) and only use proper disposable gloves for illness, soiled nappies.

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

This is the link to the info if anyone needs it for the testing kits.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUHh7zDVVXi2fbS23vC_bKrne1Wq3vmE/view

It does say these kits are for the staff  no mention of any for parents and not to be used on children under 11

They are exactly the same as the collect yourself tests recommended  for school parents, and it just says in the packs children under 12 should be done by an adult?

I was expecting the 'plain blue' booklet version to maybe say not to be used by under 11/12s but it is EXACTLY the same information - just I different cover!

Made my daughter collect some so we compare 🤣.      When we were a high risk area we could collect the packs locally- now we've dropped it's at least a 40min round trip (if you're happy to drive motorway) to collect them, so not sure parents are going to do that. 

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

I've been having a little chuckle to myself about all of this - I have decided that we are never happy - we moan when we don't get sent anything and we moan when we do 🤣

Well I didn't like to say ...😆.    I think its the gift horse thing    we seriously not used to anything being given to us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I've been having a little chuckle to myself about all of this - I have decided that we are never happy - we moan when we don't get sent anything and we moan when we do 🤣

This made me laugh, you are so right. No pleasing some people!🤣

• Haha 1

Very true, I do think we just like to moan about something (well I like a good moan anyway 😀) However I will say I never wanted masks , I think they have no place in Early Years- unless the obvious one, dropping off or sickness. But I think  that so many people were asking for stuff- for so long and we've been through all of this for a year now and just when we are starting to feel we are coming out the other side (maybe) we start getting tests, masks, wonder what will be next. Priority vaccines, in July- when 80% of the population has been done 😀😀.  Nice we're being thought of though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think it’s more about the timing that whoever has decided to help us, tests we should have been included when schools/attached nurseries started them and masks we needed at the start of the pan(ic)demic when we had to try and source PPE ourselves ....not even to be given it necessarily, but a way to purchase at reasonable cost through our counties would have been something 🤷‍♀️ I feel my county just hung us out to dry, all safely working at home sending out the odd pat on the back email ....they couldn’t even pick up a phone and ask what help we needed or how things were going 🙁

• Like 2
  • Sad 1