Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

19 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I saw him on Andrew Marr this morning, still insisting schools are safe and saying that schools and nurseries are open so that NHS staff can work. Has he even seen the key worker list? 

I don’t think he has, he speaks as if he thinks it’s only for the NHS staff to go to work, I full support staying open for genuine key workers chn but this is just crazy.

• Like 1

Well, I’ve done laundry, 2 weeks of menu planning, a supermarket trip, lunch and dishes. I was going to work the rest of the day (the TDL is beyond epic) but am very tempted to cut my losses for today and resign myself to a busy day tomorrow. I’ll have to log on anyway to upload my remote learning so it wouldn’t exactly be a school free day.

• Like 2

We had a lovely surprise this morning, it was snowing and there was about an inch or so on the ground...…..just before 8am there was a knocking on one of our front windows, it was eldest grandson with the two little ones they had walked down from their house to ours (very short distance) lovely to see them even if it was through glass!

DIL sent some great videos and photos too - they had even managed to build a snowman

• Like 5

I have a real dilemma - Kent have dropped a bit of a bombshell today and I literally have no idea what to do

Mr S said 'talk it over with your forum friends' so I will

My position is that I am closed - I just cannot and will not put the children, parents and group's adults at risk of infection - I can't believe that we (EY) are so undervalued and that we have been put in this position. I know that if I opened I would get probably 3 children in, parents fully support my stance and most were keen to tell me that they wouldn't send their children in even if I was open

LA have now said 'open now and claim usual funding, if you don't we won't fund for after half-term', further to that there is apparently no guarantee that they will fund after Easter because the 'census' will not provide for that

My choices are:

a. open now - hmm nope that is not happening

b. pray that schools don't reopen after half-term (I have told my parents that I will open in line with schools) and keep quiet about all of this

c. write to my parents and explain that I won't now be able to open after half-term and give them the option to 'go elsewhere'

d. decide that it is now time to 'throw the towel in' and close completely

Edited by sunnyday
  • Sad 2

my first thoughts were - shame Kent pulled out of the Forum - you could have had access to many other Kent groups - we know from the past that Kent groups are strong when they can work together.    I think the LA are supporting  Govt. and not really acting independently in thought - there is a huge groundswell that schools will not go back until  after Easter break - very sensible and have a 2 week notice period for re-opening.    I don't think I would throw the towel in yet, I  would be inclined to call their bluff - and gamble on schools not returning.     I would explain to parents that the funding may not be forthcoming and they need to be prepared to pay for at least one term, the summer term

I have the  feeling you have already subsidised a lot of this pandemic for your group, this ultimatum from Kent is very unfair and puts you on the brink of the group folding, when for a term or two more they could support groups who really need to be supported to continue when we come out of this.  Kent are bullies Sunnyday. 

That's my twopennyworth!   Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you will make the decision unique to your circumstances and it will be the right one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Panders

I can't really believe they are taking this stance - I have no expectation of funding for this half-term, fully accept that this was my decision to close, I don't regret that decision I know it was the right thing to do.

Every piece of info sent out so far had indicated that I would just need to enter all children as 'late joiners' and could gain their funding for Spring 4

To have that taken away and to threaten me with the notion that they might not fund from April has left me completely gobsmacked

Seriously thinking do I need this cr*p in my life

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Seriously thinking do I need this cr*p in my life

That just about sums up my feelings at the moment too.   I've just had my Oftsed renewal in the post today  - and I'm actually thinking 'why the h*ll  am I doing this?'

Not sure what to advise really.  I pray each day that settings will be told to close, but each day that gets further from happening.

We opened and I would have far rather we didn't.

I'm fully supportive that some settings - Full day-care - can, and should open, but only if they can safely.  Term-time preschools not really :(  Settings should be open for parent that work, and for when they are actually at work only!    

We had very limited numbers to start- but this week they have started creeping up, 2 more but then word gets out etc. .... I'm really not happy about it.  At the moment we can open safely with 6/7 children.

I wonder what happens if you close after census/headcount day I wonder?   I'm actually thinking of getting my local district council involved and asking them to do a civid-secure compliance check on us.  

As I've said before,  we are  currently open for babysitting purposes only. Not really any 'education' as such happening.  At the moment staff feel reasonably safe and that and that only  is my top priority at the moment.  The children are kept safe from harm. But that's as far as our service goes at the moment.

• Thanks 1

It’s a truly awful situation you find yourself in ladies.  
Could your staff maybe open for a couple of days with those three children and then close again?  Would that even be possible?  I’m trying to find a way round the system, but I’m not sure there is one.  
Would Boris put his baby in open daycare at the moment?  I think not 

Its actually scandalous the way that different counties are handling this - it’s not their money after all - if they don’t pay you, where does it go?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cait said:

It’s a truly awful situation you find yourself in ladies.  
Could your staff maybe open for a couple of days with those three children and then close again?  Would that even be possible?  I’m trying to find a way round the system, but I’m not sure there is one.  
Would Boris put his baby in open daycare at the moment?  I think not 

Its actually scandalous the way that different counties are handling this - it’s not their money after all - if they don’t pay you, where does it go?  

Thanks Cait, that is an idea worthy of consideration, but it would feel morally wrong to do that to parents and children......perhaps I worry too much about 'morals'

All I know right now is that I have an awful headache that nothing will shift 

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond x

• Like 1

Oh goodness sunnyday what an awful dilemma and how truly disgusting that you are being told this by your LA. How can they legally refuse to fund you from April when actually none of us know what the situation may be by then and we are all hopeful that we may be able to get back to some kind of normal opening.  Would it be any good contacting the EYA about this?  I think if I was in your position and in current circumstances I would be tempted to throw in the towel, but that is just my personal opinion.  
I was very against opening and luckily managed to deter a lot of my parents as they did not like the thought of outdoor only sessions. So currently we have just got two children attending one day a week but at least doing this means we will get our funding for all children for this half term. We have told parents that our opening hours and days will be under review on a two weekly basis as numbers increase or decrease. 
I feel increasingly sad each day as the early years workforce is being completely overlooked and ignored and do wonder if, when this is all over what morale will be like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

All I know right now is that I have an awful headache that nothing will shift 

Oh no!   I do hope that eases soon.  Maybe Mr S can be persuaded to give you a nice neck massage to get rid of done tension.

I assume you’ve had a team meeting with the others.  Did they have any ideas?

this is where a union would be really useful.  Might Morton Mitchell legal team have any ideas?  

• Like 1

Thanks Cait, that is an idea worthy of consideration, but it would feel morally wrong to do that to parents and children......perhaps I worry too much about 'morals'

Did anyone actually say that the parents needed to know you were open? 

Our LA are funding setting that are 'open'  regardless of who chooses to attend..... just forget to mention  to parents that you're open?   Then quietly close again due to lake of interest.

The headache is a killer, nothing seems to shift it.  We had a vitual LA meeting, we were asked our coping strategies, I said wine - they seemed to think I was joking :( I have NEVER been a drinker.... just lately I am 'needing' a glass or two of wine every night 😢😢

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Oh goodness sunnyday what an awful dilemma and how truly disgusting that you are being told this by your LA. How can they legally refuse to fund you from April when actually none of us know what the situation may be by then and we are all hopeful that we may be able to get back to some kind of normal opening.  Would it be any good contacting the EYA about this?  I think if I was in your position and in current circumstances I would be tempted to throw in the towel, but that is just my personal opinion.  
I was very against opening and luckily managed to deter a lot of my parents as they did not like the thought of outdoor only sessions. So currently we have just got two children attending one day a week but at least doing this means we will get our funding for all children for this half term. We have told parents that our opening hours and days will be under review on a two weekly basis as numbers increase or decrease. 
I feel increasingly sad each day as the early years workforce is being completely overlooked and ignored and do wonder if, when this is all over what morale will be like.

5 minutes ago, Cait said:

Oh no!   I do hope that eases soon.  Maybe Mr S can be persuaded to give you a nice neck massage to get rid of done tension.

I assume you’ve had a team meeting with the others.  Did they have any ideas?

this is where a union would be really useful.  Might Morton Mitchell legal team have any ideas?  

Thanks both xxx

This is a truly wonderful place - so lovely to be able to share with people who understand

Have emailed staff and have had a phone conversation with one - she is always hugely supportive

Have also had a long conversation with eldest son - poor devil only rang to ask me to add a box of satsumas to my online shop for him! His no nonsense approach actually made me laugh and eased the headache a bit.....his take on the matter is that they are utter ******** and that I should tell them where to shove their funding and their threats!

I will 'sleep on it' - but really feel that I must be completely 'up front' with parents

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

will 'sleep on it' - but really feel that I must be completely 'up front' with parents

Sorry to read what you’re having to deal with, I think I’d be rallying parents to support you in a non-opening, could you explain the situation, say you are opening theoretically to ensure they have sessions to come back to when it’s safer but ask them to say they don’t want to come yet? 
I still think you were brave to stay closed (braver than me) and now tonight all I’m seeing is how 0-4yr age group are the only age group still rising and that early years educators have the highest positive cases 😟

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Sorry to read what you’re having to deal with, I think I’d be rallying parents to support you in a non-opening, could you explain the situation, say you are opening theoretically to ensure they have sessions to come back to when it’s safer but ask them to say they don’t want to come yet? 
I still think you were brave to stay closed (braver than me) and now tonight all I’m seeing is how 0-4yr age group are the only age group still rising and that early years educators have the highest positive cases 😟

Thanks mousie x

Where did you read that info?