Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Good to hear that Sunnyday. Peaceful day with mum and dad yesterday and present unwrapping via zoom with the rest of the family. Mum is force feeding me because ‘I look like I could eat some more and she doesn’t want me to go hungry’. I am resisting strongly - fairly typical for Christmas (or any visit home come to that!) 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Good to hear that Sunnyday. Peaceful day with mum and dad yesterday and present unwrapping via zoom with the rest of the family. Mum is force feeding me because ‘I look like I could eat some more and she doesn’t want me to go hungry’. I am resisting strongly - fairly typical for Christmas (or any visit home come to that!) 😉

Excellent!

Now just a little reminder - you must do some school work tomorrow!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Excellent!

Now just a little reminder - you must do some school work tomorrow!

I promise, I will update you in the Eve or on. I day to let you know how much I got done. I’m avoiding starting any new books or craft projects until school is done!

• Haha 1

Good to hear everyones managed at least a semi decent Christmas. :)  and I hope your daughter-in-law tests negative too sunnyday.

I did end up doing the turkey after all,  we had it Christmas Eve (as is our norm) but I did it with simple veg,  and yesterday was a total stress free and relaxing day.   I guess I'm lucky in a way to just have the one daughter- as I didn't feel the need to 'spread' myself around + I have been her childcare bubble and I've seen her more or less throughout this whole thing (apart from the March lockdown period, until we were able to outdoor meets)

• Like 2

We had a nice day as well yesterday, slightly different from normal but very nice. Today we are just vegging out, haven’t even taken the dog out as the weather is so horrible. Will do an extra long walk tomorrow!  (Can I just add she never misses a walk) We just finished lunch today and we’re eating my rather delicious mud pie when my sons coastguard pager went off. Glad it wasn’t yesterday and really hope it’s not a holidaymaker! 

• Like 3

We were able to get down to Mum’s for the day.  I cooked the chicken before we left home - thank goodness as her oven was acting up!   Didn’t know that until I put the spuds in to roast, and even with the temp up to 270 there was no activity from the oil!   I left it as long as I dared, even tried to use the grill instead, but it wasn’t having it.  I ended up putting the roasting dish on the hob and browning the spuds snd parsnips on there.  The pigs and stuffing balls that I’d roasted round the chicken were just flashed in the microwave to heat them up.  We ended up eating an hour later than usual, but it was yummy anyway!   

• Like 4

Pleased to read you all had a pleasant Christmas.

Back to reality and working on updating the covid action plan and saw this, looked up the nhs website and wondered why anyone is going to ‘continue’ isolating with symptoms we haven’t been told to isolate for in the first place, all along a runny nose and sneezing is just a cold and ok to attend...now how do we manage this 🤷‍♀️

1983F282-D658-4A6B-845E-7AA80011A28B.jpeg

Not that I’ve seen, but weirdly enough after posting that I had an across the road chat with a neighbor who said her son didn’t make Christmas Day because her elderly mother was coming too and he’d had a runny nose and sneezing for a couple of days so thought he’d best get tested in case and he was positive, only lasted that couple of days and no other symptoms before or after 😧 

• Sad 2

It is all such a worry

My DIL's BIL (gosh that's a bit my aunties neighbours cousin!) had no symptoms whatsoever he was given a test because of his work situation - he could have been spreading it far and wide

On a more positive note - my DIL has received a negative result - phew!

• Like 5

I still stand by my earlier assertion that we won't be going back next week (I might be wrong!) particularly those of us in Tier 4 - hospitals are already in 'trouble'.....

I think the Education Committee are due to meet today

I did see Michael Gove being interviewed this morning - he was keeping the party line 'yes, schools will be open as planned'

If we are not going back GCSE and A levels need to be cancelled NOW

Why do we never hear Early years mentioned only ever schools and universities, it’s like we don’t exist! 
I am worried stupid about going back next week and am seriously thinking about asking staff to wear masks to protect themselves and their families. I really think that with the amount of cases and the new strain, now is the time that we have to give in and wear masks at work. 

• Like 1

It is annoying that we just have to figure out what means us, it wouldn’t take another 2 seconds to add ‘early years’ and make us at least feel like we count for something 😞 

I feel more concerned about returning this time around than I did when we went back in June, I’m thinking I will give staff the option of masks or shields,   the children are so used to seeing people in them and we wear them at drop off/home time that it will seem common place to them now. 

• Like 1

We really are the poor relations 

39 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Why do we never hear Early years mentioned only ever schools and universities, it’s like we don’t exist! 
I am worried stupid about going back next week and am seriously thinking about asking staff to wear masks to protect themselves and their families. I really think that with the amount of cases and the new strain, now is the time that we have to give in and wear masks at work. 

20 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

It is annoying that we just have to figure out what means us, it wouldn’t take another 2 seconds to add ‘early years’ and make us at least feel like we count for something 😞 

I feel more concerned about returning this time around than I did when we went back in June, I’m thinking I will give staff the option of masks or shields,   the children are so used to seeing people in them and we wear them at drop off/home time that it will seem common place to them now. 

We really are the 'poor relations' it bugs the life out of me too

I think giving staff the option is the way to go Mousie

I can't imagine working in a mask myself though......

We need some sort of announcement pdq - this deafening silence is so stressful not just for us but for parents too 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm so against us wearing masks in work. I'm not bothered by the children being scared of them- as you say- they are so used to seeing people in them now. But so much of our communication to them will be lost behind a mask. I often struggle to understand what people are saying to me when they are wearing them. What do we do about our children who already have communication or language difficulties. I hate wearing them, they make me sweat, feel panicky and if I'm having a 'senior flush' oh my word- dreadful. There is no way I could wear one for the morning, let alone all day.We wear them when collecting and dropping off  but  I worry as well about the way they are taken off, stored/disposed off. Is anyone else a bit concerned that we are bringing up a generation of 'sterile' children. I do worry that these little ones are going to have no immunity to any 'common' germs the way we're going.  

Originally they did say Primary & Childcare together, would remain open as normal. But Michael G  didnt mention us  today- just primary. I'm sure they will want us to open still (and primary schools) most people with children of that age just cannot work if they are not at school. So by keeping us open- that appeases those who are fearful of where our economy is heading and by shutting most of secondary years, appeases those who want schools shut.  I dont know what the answer is and I think the PM is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt- whatever he does will be wrong for some- I'm no great fan of Boris but I am glad its not me making those decisions and do feel just a teeny, tiny bit sorry for him. 

Glad everyone managed to enjoy Christmas- it was so odd- we seemed to spend most of the day on Facetime or Zoom. I'm wondering what January is going to bring for us, I think if we all go back next week by the end of the week , cases will be sky high. Well they already are especially here in London I suppose but even higher.

My brother ives in Dover, just up the road to the roundabout at the bottom of the motorway. He stopped going to work last week as they couldn't get their cars in or out of their road. He did say that most of the residents were fed up with the lorries at first (he had originally said how busy it was, much more than normal, before the French closed their ports) but ended up feeling really sorry for them. Although he said there were a couple of strong views exchanged between some who seemed to forget who had shut their ports!

Anyway, I expect we will find out on Weds where we are heading, cant see us being in Tier 3 anytime soon. 

Enjoy your New Year all!

Reheat type of PPE masks would everyone prefer - if you have to wear one? I think I would probably have gone for the see through type which have arms over the ears rather than the paper ones or fabric ones.  I wear fabric ones at the moment, but after an hour that's more than enough

14 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

I'm so against us wearing masks in work. I'm not bothered by the children being scared of them- as you say- they are so used to seeing people in them now. But so much of our communication to them will be lost behind a mask. I often struggle to understand what people are saying to me when they are wearing them. What do we do about our children who already have communication or language difficulties. I hate wearing them, they make me sweat, feel panicky and if I'm having a 'senior flush' oh my word- dreadful. There is no way I could wear one for the morning, let alone all day.We wear them when collecting and dropping off  but  I worry as well about the way they are taken off, stored/disposed off. Is anyone else a bit concerned that we are bringing up a generation of 'sterile' children. I do worry that these little ones are going to have no immunity to any 'common' germs the way we're going.  

I completely get what you are saying and up until now I would have been completely against wearing masks at school.  But I am increasingly concerned about the amount of stories that I am hearing from teachers who have caught Covid at school and then taken it home to their families. I have really vulnerable elderly parents but I am there support bubble so am unable to keep away from them and I am terrified what I might inadvertently pass on to them. If wearing a mask is going to reduce my risk of possibly catching something from the children then I think currently that is more important. It’s not forever and hopefully as the vaccine rolls out to more people and the risk reduces then we can get back to normal.  I think worrying about common germs and lack of immunity is the least of our worries at the moment. We can get back to building up immunity to these when the population has had the vaccine.  I guess the thing to do is give everyone the choice and the responsibility to make their own decisions.

• Like 1

I thought the wearing of a mask doesn't lessen your chance of catching it from the children- it lessens the chance of passing something on. So it would make more sense for the children to wear masks- Not that I would advocate that at all.

I think the answer is as you rightly say we all need to make our own decisions. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Panders said:

Reheat type of PPE masks would everyone prefer - if you have to wear one? I think I would probably have gone for the see through type which have arms over the ears rather than the paper ones or fabric ones.  I wear fabric ones at the moment, but after an hour that's more than enough

I prefer to wear the face shields and even forget I’ve got one on, as Lynned said I think masks are more about protecting others (though they must give some  protection to your mouth and nose but if you don’t wear glasses you’re eyes are still exposed). If you do wear glasses but don’t have shields you can laminate a clear sheet, cut a curved bottom to face shape  and use those tiny hair gripper things to attach to the arms of your glasses (I guess those tiny clothes pegs would work too).

Whatever you decide for next week stay safe...I best make an effort and do some work as I can’t see them keeping us closed 🤔 

On 27/12/2020 at 13:19, sunnyday said:

Oh yes of course you may - but straight back into it after lunch please 🤣

I'm afraid I didn't - have been having some really bad headaches which are waking me up in the early hours and I just crashed and dozed on the sofa for the rest of Sunday.  I did pick myself up again on Monday though and worked really hard all day and the medium term plan and other planning is finished.  The TDL isn't but it never will be so I've declared an end to it.  I've switched my laptop off, put an 'out of office' autoreply on my school email and am currently contemplating what to do next.

Plans did involve dynamic cleaning out of kitchen cupboards but have evolved into ones involving the fire, some books, knitting and chocolate...

Totes forgiven my dear Froglet.    I've been tucked up watching The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Soc - my absolute fav film at the moment.   Made some goulash soup for lunch, and there's also beef casserole for dinner this evening, supposed to have been yesterday, but just wasn't ready in time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panders said:

Totes forgiven my dear Froglet.    I've been tucked up watching The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Soc - my absolute fav film at the moment.   Made some goulash soup for lunch, and there's also beef casserole for dinner this evening, supposed to have been yesterday, but just wasn't ready in time.

Goulash soup?  I might need a recipe.  My sister gave me an insulated food pot for Christmas - I'd been saying I missed taking soup to work for lunch but the state of our microwave at school (even after I've cleaned it!) meant I wouldn't reheat it.  I love soup and am looking for new things to try!

• Like 1

I’m waiting for a Covid home test kit. Been suffering with a sore throat, swollen glands, achy body,  tiredness and slight cough since Boxing Day. Stopped seeing my parents as didn’t want to pass anything on, I’m sure it’s just a normal virus but have got to the point where I thought I need to check and be sure. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Froglet said:

I'm afraid I didn't - have been having some really bad headaches which are waking me up in the early hours and I just crashed and dozed on the sofa for the rest of Sunday.  I did pick myself up again on Monday though and worked really hard all day and the medium term plan and other planning is finished.  The TDL isn't but it never will be so I've declared an end to it.  I've switched my laptop off, put an 'out of office' autoreply on my school email and am currently contemplating what to do next.

Plans did involve dynamic cleaning out of kitchen cupboards but have evolved into ones involving the fire, some books, knitting and chocolate...

Oh no (to the headaches) are you drinking enough, getting some fresh air daily?

Good plan re calling it a day with the TDL

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I’m waiting for a Covid home test kit. Been suffering with a sore throat, swollen glands, achy body,  tiredness and slight cough since Boxing Day. Stopped seeing my parents as didn’t want to pass anything on, I’m sure it’s just a normal virus but have got to the point where I thought I need to check and be sure. 

Oh my life zigzag - hope all is okay - do please let us know xxx

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Oh no (to the headaches) are you drinking enough, getting some fresh air daily?

Good plan re calling it a day with the TDL

Probably not to all of those. I think it’s just tension headaches - have become very conscious of how much I’m clenching my teeth and hunching my shoulders at the moment! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Froglet said:

Probably not to all of those. I think it’s just tension headaches - have become very conscious of how much I’m clenching my teeth and hunching my shoulders at the moment! 

I know the feeling :(  I thought I'd get a jig-saw to try and help me relax- it didn't really help as I hunched over it and I could actually feel myself tense up whilst concentrating 😳

• Sad 1