Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

9 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hope your First Aid goes well louby - my deputy had training booked but cancelled as she was too worried about the Covid situation (£120.00 down the drain but hey ho)

First Aid done and passed. We use tigerlilly and paid £86.  Very covid safe- but had to keep our masks on all the time (except when doing CPR) and this was the first time we've actually had to stay the full 6 hours + breaks- so 7 hours in a mask 😬.  Usually it's  a "is everyone happy to have a woking lunch and breaks and then we can leave early"

7 hours ago, zigzag said:

I’ve just booked ours for February, doing face to face, couldn’t face the thought of a zoom one!  Sunnyday £120 is extortionate, ours is £80!  
Hope you are feeling better today Mouseketeer. Xx

I though I read somewhere that it had to be face to face and visual Zoom one we not acceptable? 

6 hours ago, Froglet said:

There is also a cake baking plan for tomorrow - probably lemon as I seem to have loads and there is a definitely crafty plan too although whether it's crochet, socks or something else I don't know!  I plan to write my Sunday note to a friend.

Well I'll be up again this weekend for 'cake and craft' ..... I'm planning on making and evergreen Christmas gnome for my garden - he never got made last year and I'm determined to get hime done this year.

• Like 2

I always react to flu Jabs.   Arm swells, gets hard and red.  This year the nurse told me to have 2 paracetamol as I set off to go for the jab and then an antihistamine as soon as I’d had it.  No reaction at all!  Fab 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

another random question . I have several children this year who are starting to hit the ELG's (already!) how do people feel ,in general, about recoding this?

In previous years i have said not to record but i'm fed up with the school taking the glory for the hard 'work' the children doing !!!!

21 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

another random question . I have several children this year who are starting to hit the ELG's (already!) how do people feel ,in general, about recoding this?

In previous years i have said not to record but i'm fed up with the school taking the glory for the hard 'work' the children doing !!!!

Yep - what my little black and white furry friend said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with Panders, if they're reaching it then say so. Last month (just before lockdown) we had 4 staff to 1st aid 6 hours 'study' and 6 hours practical- have done it this way as a 'blended' course for quite a few years now. I wouldn't like the thought that someone who was doing 1st aid for the fist time did the 'face to face' via zoom though. I think eventually Ofsted are perhaps going to have to make a ruling on this.

I also managed to get a flu jab done in Sept- ended up with a very 'heavy' arm and lump on the top. Only lasted a day or so though. One of my staff is 65 in January and has een turned away so many times as they keep running out. 

Our parents feedbacks will be done over the phone- if we have time and all the staff in!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

. I wouldn't like the thought that someone who was doing 1st aid for the fist time did the 'face to face' via zoom though. I think eventually Ofsted are perhaps going to have to make a ruling on this.

We had an email from a LA this morning telling us the first aid over Zoom was not acceptable, and the email liked to the statutory framework for reference.

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

thanks you lot xxxx interesting that some children have done really well in lockdown with certain things but maybe not so well with others! 

We are finding exactly the same things in school. In response to your ELG question, speaking from the other side of transition 😉 I would also say if they are doing it then give it to them but... I would also be strict with yourself about seeing the evidence in different contexts and completely independently. Especially with the writing. I am now in year 1 and have found that the 6 week gap  between reception and year 1 and whole process of transition can somewhat throw children in unexpected ways and they aren’t able to transfer all their learning effectively for a while. I can imagine that being even more significant if moving between settings.

Also, it might be worth taking a look at what the Year 2 expectations for greater depth writers are. I am not in any way doubting your judgement but there is a long way between the ELG and this and if children are expected to achieve this (which they will be if they are achieving ELG even before they start school) it can be a lot of pressure on them if they aren’t completely secure in the underlying skills.

I hope that makes sense and doesn’t sound a ‘school wanting to take credit for your hard work’ - it isn’t meant that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

We are finding exactly the same things in school. In response to your ELG question, speaking from the other side of transition 😉 I would also say if they are doing it then give it to them but... I would also be strict with yourself about seeing the evidence in different contexts and completely independently. Especially with the writing. I am now in year 1 and have found that the 6 week gap  between reception and year 1 and whole process of transition can somewhat throw children in unexpected ways and they aren’t able to transfer all their learning effectively for a while. I can imagine that being even more significant if moving between settings.

Also, it might be worth taking a look at what the Year 2 expectations for greater depth writers are. I am not in any way doubting your judgement but there is a long way between the ELG and this and if children are expected to achieve this (which they will be if they are achieving ELG even before they start school) it can be a lot of pressure on them if they aren’t completely secure in the underlying skills.

I hope that makes sense and doesn’t sound a ‘school wanting to take credit for your hard work’ - it isn’t meant that way.

No i absolutely get where you are coming from. The ELG is for the "the World" . he is a very with it young man who picks up information quickly and has two mummies who talk to him. He can ask questions and respond appropriately and intelligently to the answer. He has a wide range of interests ....he is not achieving across the board. Although his maths skills are pretty cool....knows all his simple number bonds, can add and subtract in his head Etc etc!

• Like 2

On 22/11/2020 at 10:17, finleysmaid said:

Anyone doing parent feedbacks at the end of this term? how are you planning to do them???

We're doing planned phone calls, zoom calls or Tapestry reports depending on what the parents want. We're pretty much redoing our usual parents evening but over the course of 6 weeks

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Tier 3 from next week - no surprise really but can't pretend that I am not disappointed.....we were doing so well just a short time ago

:( I feel for you.  It's hard not to take it personally and get annoyed when the whole county goes into tiers when some areas are low. :( 

• Thanks 1

Sorry Sunnyday, I have a lot of family in Kent and they are probably feeling just like you.  Personally whatever tier we are currently in or potentially go into it won’t change my behaviour. I go to work, click and collect my shop and walk the dog! I know we have low levels in Cornwall but with vulnerable parents and me being their support bubble I am taking no risks. I have to say the relaxing of rules over Christmas leaves me quite bewildered as to what the government are doing. I think we will feel the repercussions from it for quite a while.

• Like 2

Friday again! How did that happen so quickly?  Well the tree is up at school now and Christmas crafting starts next week. We had a good week, one new two year old started and we haven’t had too much wet weather either so able to have extended times outside and boy did they need to be outside on Monday! Not sure what had gone on at the weekend but they were wild!  One more new starter next week and then loads more in January!  Have a lovely Friday xx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Friday again! How did that happen so quickly?  Well the tree is up at school now and Christmas crafting starts next week. We had a good week, one new two year old started and we haven’t had too much wet weather either so able to have extended times outside and boy did they need to be outside on Monday! Not sure what had gone on at the weekend but they were wild!  One more new starter next week and then loads more in January!  Have a lovely Friday xx

You're brave have your new starters now!  Ours now all wait until January (messes up our Christmas party 🤣).  That said we will only be taking them from mid-jan now as we want to keep an eye on infection rates etc before adding more children/families to our bubbles.

We started Christmas last week (cards and calendars), and we will be making our tree on Monday.  Usually we enter the Christmas tree festival at our local church - then have the tree afterwards, however this year its been cancelled which leaves us treeless!!!🙀  Having made my gnome last weekend have decided to adapt design and make our own tree. xxxx

• Like 2

I'm with you zigzag - how the jolly goodness is it Friday again?!

Pretty good week, one little boy absent Monday and Tuesday (just a cold) - unfortunately his behaviour goes to pot as soon as he has time off, not just us noticing this his mum talks about it too - deep sigh.....

Mr S went up to the Royal Brompton yesterday for Lung function and a CT scan - he could tell without asking that he 'performed' better for the LF - will await news from his consultant re the scan.......they can only complete 3 LF test each day now - versus the usual 20 - 30 as they can't have different patients in the room at the same time and then it takes almost two hours to clean the room after each patient - can you imagine the back-log........

Haven't started any 'seasonal stuff' yet - zigzag and louby you are putting me to shame!

Pretty long TDL to get through - think I will leave most of it for tomorrow now

Still have some tulip bulbs to plant must do that tomorrow - that's about as exciting as my life gets these days! Bring on the vaccine I say, it is the only way out of this situation in my humble opinion

Hope the weekend is kind to all

• Like 1