Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2016

Froglet

It's definitely not the same standard as last year, can you see these making a princess cake? No, there's some obvious 'dumbing down' I think. Millefoille? I don't think so! That multilayered tray bake with the very different layers that had to be cut so precisely. Perfectly oblong cakes, cakes made up of loads of pancakes ...........

• Like 2

Over all I like Benjamina, and yes perhaps they are all being pressed a little too much and that's what's causing errors, but some, like lipstick lady, are complete over achievers who put added pressure on themselves, sorry to see Andrew(?) go this week, I rather liked his bakes and he seemed a nice lad.

Saw talk of last year's winner, Nadiya in contention to go with Paul to C4

Andrew - ????? of course it was Rav who went. I did like Rav, very sweet.

• ?? Marjolaine c'mon, where are they then, I will expect our bakers on here to produce one of those by the weekend please - no excuses.

While watching I texted a friend saying 'I've never heard of them but it has chocolate, nuts and cream - what's not to like?!' Maybe not this weekend (I am shattered beyond belief at the moment) but maybe as a birthday treat during half-term...

• Like 2

I'm fairly sure I've made jumbles in the past! They were also in 'What Katy did at school'. I've never made marchpane but have wanted to ever since I read 'A traveller in time' by Alison Uttley. So as far as I'm concerned this week's Bake Off combines my two favourite things - books and baking!

I have worked out why Candice irks me so...

She is a Spice Girl wannabe and I think Posh is her role model, what with the pouting, high heals, and a comment she made last night about the spice girls, it all fell into place...

Plus her need to go over the top , I am sure she would be much better if she didn't try to 'show off' all the time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am really sorry to see Selasi go - I loved his voice as well as his 'chilled' approach. I suspect he was the right person to go though. As for this week's bakes - one day I am going to have a go at puff pastry and might make some palmiers. I liked the sound of the savarin apart from the orange liqueur (I'm not sure if it would work without the alcohol?) but I am very tempted to have a go at the fondant fancies. I did love Nadiya's comment on An Extra Slice last night when they were talking about whether she was a dunker or drizzler for the fondant and she said 'Just buy them!'

• Like 2

The savarin works with any flavoured drizzle/syrup poured over while warm to soak through the sponge.. it is like a giant rum baba and mum made those all the time without the rum for us.. doesnt have to be alcohol.. of course it is no longer a classic version, but your own.. nothing wrong in that.

Would love to see Andrew win, but feel lipstick lady may do it.. all comes down to who makes the least mistakes really..

• Like 1