Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2016

Froglet

If I don't start this Sunnyday will probably give me instructions to soon. Candles are lit, I just took these out of the oven: post-26037-0-08956300-1472146950_thumb.jpeg

As you can see tea is also mashing - you're welcome to join me.

So did anyone watch/enjoy? I did and liked seeing more 'normal' cakes. I think I may have to make Jaffa cakes soon.

I watched the Chronicles of Nadiya afterwards too and that was really interesting - Nadiya seems lovely and I think I probably need to go to her house for tea! ?

• Like 3

They look very moreish. WIll not join you as I tend to be sugar free these days ( reversed lots of ill health issues by doing it)

But will join you for the tea, so good to see it in a pot and hot that teabag in a cup that everyone seems to do. We use a pot all the time, tastes so much better..

I did enjoy last nights episode, looking forward to next week already.

Hey Froggie you've got my teapot!

As ever, I can't believe the debate some of the bakers have about what "normal" things look like - all sense seems to go out of the window. Can't imagine not knowing what a jaffa cake looks like! Frankly I can't bear them and you know if I'm on a diet because I get those in for the family with the sure knowledge I won't be tempted!

Good to see they haven't fiddled too much with the format and returning to basics is a good idea. Also looking forward to the companion show which I find a bit of a giggle.

Yes, I also enjoyed the Nadiya programme which followed. A genuinely likeable, lovable woman

Inge, I made them cos they're super easy and I had all the ingredients. I just had some fairly spicy nachos for tea and needed a little something sweet to finish the meal off - I don't often have pudding except for fruit.

As for the teapot - I always use it when I'm home. Started doing it years ago as a way of slowing life down a little. One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to not leave for school without having a cup of tea at home.

I can't believe how much went in the bin! I don't remember a bake off programme with so many missed ingredients and baking fails in one show!

I remarked on this as well. I guess the contestants are putting so much pressure on themselves right from the first episode now. I have vowed that I am going to chose one bake from each show and make it the following week, think it's got to be the Jaffa cakes this week. Will post a photo when made. Maybe we should start a photo bake off competition and all post photo's of our makes?

I loved the Nadiya's programme, what a warm, lovely, honest and natural lady she is.

• Like 1

Maybe we should start a photo bake off competition and all post photo's of our makes?

Can I just post a picture of my Jaffa cake recipe instead please? ........... cos I don't honestly think I'm ever going to make them!

I wish they wouldn't eliminate in the first week though - even if the did 2 in week two instead.

• Like 2

As we don't really know the pressure these bakers are under - I wonder if Mary and Paul could produce their best within the time constraints under competitive conditions. I know we watch the masterclass versions when the competition is over, but again, call me suspicious but I don't always believe all that I am seeing! I would love to see the outtakes.

• Like 3

As we don't really know the pressure these bakers are under - I wonder if Mary and Paul could produce their best within the time constraints under competitive conditions. I know we watch the masterclass versions when the competition is over, but again, call me suspicious but I don't always believe all that I am seeing! I would love to see the outtakes.

I'm always suspect about the filming too.. B) ............ Just why does everyone have to wear the same clothes each day? Do they have to have two sets of clothes- or is that tent really stinky after day two ? :unsure: :lol:

• Like 1

I can't believe how much went in the bin! I don't remember a bake off programme with so many missed ingredients and baking fails in one show!

I commented on this too! It really was a wicked waste...Surely there is a better use for the wastage?

• Like 1

Oh well done young Froglet - I was thinking that we need a GBBO thread! :1b

Jaffa cakes - yum - had never really thought about how they were 'put together' before - but I'm pretty sure I would have known which way up they are meant to be :rolleyes:

I also know that it's highly unlikely that I will get round to baking anything so look forward to seeing your photos :1b

• Like 3

How clever of those GBBO folk to stir up trouble over dunking jaffa cakes. Mary and Paul were definitely acting up for he cameras on that one! But frankly, who would dunk anything in tea with chocolate on it? yuk - in coffee maybe, but never tea. (There speaks a soft southerner I suppose)

• Like 6

Hmmm Panders - I think I would dunk a chocolate digestive but then I don't drink coffee and it definitely wouldn't work in herbal tea!! :blink: Mind you, in the depths of winter I have been known to hold my chocolate digestive in front of the fire and then lick the melting chocolate off but don't let my mum know! :ph34r: . I wouldn't dunk a jaffa cake because they're, well... cake!

Sunnyday, even though I've never thought about making individual ones (I have made a giant pie sized one for a pudding once), it wouldn't have occurred to me that they could go any other way up!

• Like 2

in the depths of winter I have been known to hold my chocolate digestive in front of the fire and then lick the melting chocolate off but don't let my mum know! :ph34r: .

That takes hygge too far Froglet. I think we all do questionable things along those lines - I certainly remember removing all the cream from angel cake and eating that first, also unrolling battenburg or swiss roll and eating the marzipan or creamy bit separately - seems to be a theme going on here - also eating the creamy bit off of custard creams first and so it goes on and on and on, and btw I'm not aware my mum ever knew, she would have been aghast at my manners :o ::1a ::1a

• Like 2

That takes hygge too far Froglet. I think we all do questionable things along those lines - I certainly remember removing all the cream from angel cake and eating that first, also unrolling battenburg or swiss roll and eating the marzipan or creamy bit separately - seems to be a theme going on here - also eating the creamy bit off of custard creams first and so it goes on and on and on, and btw I'm not aware my mum ever knew, she would have been aghast at my manners :o ::1a ::1a

Schema perhaps? Maybe we should all get back into 'work' mode and plan some activities for you. ::1a ::1a

• Like 1

I too have undone a battenburg, eaten the chocolate round the sides of a kitkat before the wafer and generally 'unlayer' any layered chocolate bar (twix, double decker, penguins) or biscuit at some point. :ph34r: Yes, I know - you can all pretend you don't know me from hereon in...

• Like 3

I too have undone a battenburg, eaten the chocolate round the sides of a kitkat before the wafer and generally 'unlayer' any layered chocolate bar (twix, double decker, penguins) or biscuit at some point. :ph34r: Yes, I know - you can all pretend you don't know me from hereon in...

It's the only way to eat a snickers! I too de-laminated kitkats in the pre GF days, nibble the choc from the sides first - great excitement if you had a solid chocolate bit!

• Like 5

Was committed to not getting suckered in to GBBO this year, but here I am. Ian was right to go - magnanimous in defeat on The Last Slice. Little bit in love with Salasi. Particularly loved Hal Crittenden's remark about Val, 'If she were asked to produce a fruit cake she could step up and say 'I'm done'.' It was she I most identified with. Also loved Nadjia's programme- smiling and wiping tears all the way through.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! They actually weren't that hard to make - when you had the whole recipe! Good technical challenge though - they were hard to make look good and you would have had to be very precise to get the uniformity that they judges always seem to want!

• Like 1