Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handing my notice in any one regret it, thinking about it...

I've just had enough of the workload and my employer taking advantage. Quite a few staff members have left which makes me feel even worse about leaving. I love the children, the job itself but the extra workload that I do in my own free time is starting make me resent my job. For example, last weekend I spent writing 9 reports unpaid because I have no time to do it in my key time. I stay behind 10 mins each night to help with cleaning duties. This doesn't include the amount of time I spend researching and making resources. I am just so fed up with it.

• Like 1

Are you full daycare or sessional?

I'm sessional and felt exactly like you. I stopped doing anything unpaid - unless it was something I wanted to do rather than needed too. It was difficult to start with but it has made the owner realise what I do now.

I've thought about handing my notice in a few times recently, but I actually love the job, children and staff.

I'm very fortunate that if I really wanted to I could just leave without financial worry- which makes a huge difference to how I feel about the job role.

• Like 2

I got to that point too but felt well if i was going to leave I may as well be open and honest about how it feels and the pressure also that I was contemplating handing in my notice but felt it was only right to let them know how I feel and what may be a foot. I thought well either they will think sod it or try and help and in all honesty they helped and tried to support changes to make it a much better work life balance. What they had to work hard in understanding is that it's not a case of oh that can wait as most things carnt referrals, reports, staffing issues and so on.

I did this a year ago and yes I'm still not where I want to be but that's not because they havnt supported me like removing me from ratios and more it's because recruitment to get the support takes so long and then we have had staffing issues that mean it's not worked effectively. Any way what I'm saying is I felt like that (currently still do fighting extreme exaugustion/nervous break down) if you are at that point then it's worth giving it a go and telling your employer, worse case Is they take the hump and treat you like crap but you was on about leaving anyway or best case is they help you. Good luck x

• Like 2

Must admit, I too am loosing the will to live with it all. Cant believe how my passion for the job has disapeared over time, as its all I ever wanted to do. Started as a parent at preschool. then chair, then became a member of staff, deputy, then had to step up and take on supervisor role, as the existing supervisor text to say she wasn't coming back after the summer hols 2014. Then the church we were in got sold, so we has to find new premisies. Eventually found some and spent the 6 weeks hols painting fencing, moving equipment/resources etc all unpaid of course. Been supervisor 2yrs but It will be 30 yrs all told in October I have been with the preschool (wonder if I will get a gold watch) Things have changed so much over the years, its just getting silly. So many hoops to jump through and the goal posts keep changing so unfair. I dont think turning 60 this year has helped much either, just think I'm getting too old for it all now, need some new, young blood to take over. Any offers?! We are due Ofsted anytime soon, so that's not helping as planning still not right, Sef not done properly and trying to motivate my other 2 colleagues, well that's another story. Never mind only 2 more weeks to go till summer hols. Lets hope I can recharged the batteries and find some motvation ready for September.

• Like 4

As you may know I have made the jump - I love my job but it I had no time for myself or my family, and like you I began to resent it.

I've pondered over it for a few years but since Christmas I just started each morning with a groan of I don't want to go to work, I've never been like that, I love to have a purpose to my day I want to work but to start each day on a negative for me was what made me jump.

Good luck with your decision

• Like 3

It's just so sad reading all these posts. Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is. I really like your idea Louby, as you say there is nothing to lose if you are already seriously thinking of leaving.

I am working out how to re-organise our group to allow keyworker time for staff in the session. It's really difficult in a really small group. I think it will mean I no longer have keychildren myself and become a 'floating' member of staff. Looking forward to that battle!!!

Good luck Thumper - enjoy your last few weeks x

• Like 1

Must admit, I too am loosing the will to live with it all. Cant believe how my passion for the job has disapeared over time, as its all I ever wanted to do. Started as a parent at preschool. then chair, then became a member of staff, deputy, then had to step up and take on supervisor role, as the existing supervisor text to say she wasn't coming back after the summer hols 2014. Then the church we were in got sold, so we has to find new premisies. Eventually found some and spent the 6 weeks hols painting fencing, moving equipment/resources etc all unpaid of course. Been supervisor 2yrs but It will be 30 yrs all told in October I have been with the preschool (wonder if I will get a gold watch) Things have changed so much over the years, its just getting silly. So many hoops to jump through and the goal posts keep changing so unfair. I dont think turning 60 this year has helped much either, just think I'm getting too old for it all now, need some new, young blood to take over. Any offers?! We are due Ofsted anytime soon, so that's not helping as planning still not right, Sef not done properly and trying to motivate my other 2 colleagues, well that's another story. Never mind only 2 more weeks to go till summer hols. Lets hope I can recharged the batteries and find some motvation ready for September.

Ooo,,you could be me Manor! I have just ONE MORE WEEK to go before the hols - pretty much on my knees now and my brain hurts with putting in place all the prep for next school year (not finished though)! so like you, I hope I can muster enough energy and enthusiasm for ONE more year????

With regard Rosebud123's dilemma - my advice - speak to the Owner/Manager. Unfortunately because there is so little money available to cover all the hours needed to do all the work needed us Providers/Owners do do everything necessary to keep afloat, unpaid! However it's not fair to expect others to! I am now at the point of saying - it's on the To do list - we cannot fit everything in. I do all essential/necessary stuff in-my-own-time......for now!

• Like 1

I to have taken a step back because of it all...still doing a lot in my own time and we are only open part time!. Going to full time preschool in Sept so told them last term that I did not want to manage it as it was all too much now and it was affecting my home life and health. They offered me the postion of job share deputy which I am looking forward to doing. Not really happy about the fact that the advert for manager only went out this week given the notice I gave...here's hoping they recruit in time as I am determined that It won't be me having to cover it!

I am working out how to re-organise our group to allow keyworker time for staff in the session. It's really difficult in a really small group. I think it will mean I no longer have keychildren myself and become a 'floating' member of staff. Looking forward to that battle!!!

Good luck Thumper - enjoy your last few weeks x

Thank you lsp, I'm trying to enjoy it but there's still so much left to do!!

Just becareful organising everything for your staff, I know that seems a little mean saying it but I did that hoping that life would be easier for them and then I'd be happy because they were happy ... yes it works like that for awhile but you end up taking more and more on and there's nobody to help you.

Education as a whole is just becoming a nightmare everyone is stressed and worried about their jobs everyone doing more and more unpaid to justify themselves and probably not getting many words of thanks.

Everyone needs to start taking care of themselves, it's not our bosses fault its the 'system' - but the 'system' won't take care of you :(

Phew that was a bit deep for me :) !

• Like 4

Perhaps if we all didn't do all the unpaid hours and we all got 'requires improvement' they might just click it isn't working! The problem is, we all take the judgement personally, whereas it isn't anymore.... they have made our jobs impossible.

• Like 4

The basic problem here is that the more you do, the more people will let you do. BUT, sometimes ( and I have definitely been guilty of this myself)...............it's about control. WE do it, because we do it best and others aren't up to our exacting standards. Learn to delegate, learn to let them shine xx

• Like 3

Perhaps if we all didn't do all the unpaid hours and we all got 'requires improvement' they might just click it isn't working! The problem is, we all take the judgement personally, whereas it isn't anymore.... they have made our jobs impossible.

So true!

All those unpaid hours makes minimum wage (or less?!).

Quite fed up when I go on our local council vacancies website and see that a midday supervisor at a local school gets the same wage as myself (will be working at school as pre-school deputy)..or that an EYs teaching assistant is a grade above my old managers role... what happened to job evaluation? No disrespect to EYs TAs but do they do SEN, funding forms, appraisals, staff management, safeguarding responsibilities, finances etc, etc .. bearing in mind I have worked for the school run preschool for 3 yrs and do hate it when the EYs TA tells me how much she gets paid more than me!!

Its not all about money but I think its about time that pre-schools get the recognition and wages they deserve. I just get told that as PS we are not making money for the school, then this effects my staffing and wages..but then school is funded differently!? Why should we be penalised for the rubbish funding rate?!

I'm ready for a holiday!!! xx

The basic problem here is that the more you do, the more people will let you do. BUT, sometimes ( and I have definitely been guilty of this myself)...............it's about control. WE do it, because we do it best and others aren't up to our exacting standards. Learn to delegate, learn to let them shine xx

I agree.. This last year would have really liked to delegate just preparing resouces e.g making playdough etc but tricky to delegate when your staff turn round and say Im not doing it unless I'm paid for it ! (school refused to pay OT) (only 3 of us so when both say it down to me then!). Thing is no matter how much you say well it would help/part of the job etc not sure I really blame them. But they do not have overall responsibility for the setting so are not really bothered whereas I have always been a "finisher".. like to get things done...tick things off lists etc and it really irks me if I cant.

I have tried to motivate but then I'm lacking motivation myself at the moment.

As you may know I have made the jump - I love my job but it I had no time for myself or my family, and like you I began to resent it.

I've pondered over it for a few years but since Christmas I just started each morning with a groan of I don't want to go to work, I've never been like that, I love to have a purpose to my day I want to work but to start each day on a negative for me was what made me jump.

Good luck with your decision

I totally agree! I am just hoping that i can get rid of this feeling in my new role..either that or by Christmas I will be looking for a new job entirely. What are you going to do?

Yes - I totally agree!!! £$%^&*g difficult when you cringe inside when it's not done how you would like it done- but soooooooooo worth it in the end!

My staff have taken on the whole end of year concert this year. Yes I can see a few faults- HOWEVER seeing the staff 'shine' more than makes up for it. I am so proud of them. :1b

• Like 2

I agree.. This last year would have really liked to delegate just preparing resouces e.g making playdough etc but tricky to delegate when your staff turn round and say Im not doing it unless I'm paid for it ! (school refused to pay OT) (only 3 of us so when both say it down to me then!). Thing is no matter how much you say well it would help/part of the job etc not sure I really blame them. But they do not have overall responsibility for the setting so are not really bothered whereas I have always been a "finisher".. like to get things done...tick things off lists etc and it really irks me if I cant.

I have tried to motivate but then I'm lacking motivation myself at the moment.

Get the children to make the playdough!

• Like 3

I think I am a couple of days away from this. A situation has become intolerable and no one is listening to us. The stress of it all is making me ill. After 13 years I am just not sure I have the fight left in me anymore.

I totally agree! I am just hoping that i can get rid of this feeling in my new role..either that or by Christmas I will be looking for a new job entirely. What are you going to do?

Nowhere yet - one thing I didn't realise is how few jobs there are out there (probably my ignorance!) and actually I feel as if I know nothing that's transferable to anything else - that might sound strange but think as a committee run group we do so much but it's almost in its own bubble!!

• Like 1

I think I am a couple of days away from this. A situation has become intolerable and no one is listening to us. The stress of it all is making me ill. After 13 years I am just not sure I have the fight left in me anymore.

First and foremost take care of yourself zigzag

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)