Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping paperwork

I have asked on here before about how long we should keep documents such as Child registration forms, funding forms, daily attendance registers, accident and incident books, medication administered forms, etc etc.

I have tried to find it using search on here but can't see it anywhere. There was a sheet with all the information on that I need.

I am in the mood to sort out the first of many filing cabinet drawers !! Obviously I don't want to shred things that I must keep.

Can someone help find the information for me please ASAP, as my "sorting out" mood won't last long !!!!! :wacko:

Many thanks

V

Development and learning records – 1 year after the child has left

Child accident and medication records – 3 years after the child has left

Records of reportable injuries to children – 3 years after the date the record was made or until the child is 21 years 1

Records of reportable deaths, diseases or dangerous occurrences to children – 3 years after the date a record was made

Records of reportable deaths, injuries, diseases or dangerous occurrences to adults – 3 years after the date the record was made

Adult accident and adult medication records, as specified by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) – 40 years from the date of the last entry

Child protection records – until the child is 24 years

Records of child protection allegation against an employee – 10 years

Complaints records – until the following Ofsted inspection

Insurance certificates – 40 years

Attendance records – 6 years

Early Education Funding records – 6 years

Records related to the capability of staff – 6 years after the staff member has left 2

Redundancy details, calculations of payments, refunds, notification to the Secretary of State – 6 years from the date of redundancy 2

Accounting records – 3 years from the date on which they are made

Income tax, National Insurance, Statutory Maternity Pay and Statutory Sick Pay records – 3 years after the end of the tax year to which they relate

1 recommended due to the right to claim negligently or deliberately caused injury

2 recommendation by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 2

child protection records should now be sent to the setting where the child is...we should not be keeping any records of that nature if the child is no longer with us. The last setting should then hold on to the records until the child is 24.. This is a new regulation ! i only found out about it in October last year through our LEA

On a slightly different path, can I ask how long people keep their planning for. We have just been ofsteded so thinking now might be a good time to get rid of it!

Thanks Joanne

I keep 3 years for some reason not sure why, think it's because that will fit in the 1 folder!, I never go back to it!

• Like 1

Do you have any reference with guidance on how to go about this?

try here ...page 5

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjojfK51YTMAhWQJhoKHQQaBnoQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.icmec.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F10%2FUK-Record-Keeping-Guidance-for-Child-Protection-2011.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG2x4eaP-ii8O4PuCJzjtS29GGOSA

sorry its the only document that i can find that is as specific as it needs to be! Our borough's not good at producing information!

• Like 1

That sounds pretty much what we've been told, pass it on to the next setting, whether it's another nursery/pre-school or primary school, what hasn't been made clear to us is what to do if someone leaves but does not tell us where they have gone to, so i have decided to keep in the loft for a good few years, just to be sure.

This is from DfE 2015, page 9 - a later date and less specific:
Information sharing safeguarding practitioners.pdf

"In line with each organisation’s own retention policy, the information should not be kept any longer than is necessary. In some circumstances this may be indefinitely, but if this is the case there should be a review process."

This is from DfE 2015, page 9 - a later date and less specific:

attachicon.gifInformation sharing safeguarding practitioners.pdf

"In line with each organisation’s own retention policy, the information should not be kept any longer than is necessary. In some circumstances this may be indefinitely, but if this is the case there should be a review process."

I would suggest you check with your county.....I was given severe telling off from mine for keeping info!

That sounds pretty much what we've been told, pass it on to the next setting, whether it's another nursery/pre-school or primary school, what hasn't been made clear to us is what to do if someone leaves but does not tell us where they have gone to, so i have decided to keep in the loft for a good few years, just to be sure.

I asked this question and was told to return to the safeguarding case worker if involved...otherwise I guess you have no choice ...what have your LEA said?

I have asked on here before about how long we should keep documents such as Child registration forms, funding forms, daily attendance registers, accident and incident books, medication administered forms, etc etc.

I have tried to find it using search on here but can't see it anywhere. There was a sheet with all the information on that I need.

I am in the mood to sort out the first of many filing cabinet drawers !! Obviously I don't want to shred things that I must keep.

Can someone help find the information for me please ASAP, as my "sorting out" mood won't last long !!!!! :wacko:

Many thanks

V

I was going to come on today to ask this very thing! Also in the mood to "Spring Clean"

I emailed our LA and asked about funding records - they said 3 +the current years need to be kept. (kept email )

I guess each LA could be different.

Our LA is 7 years for funding records

I asked this question and was told to return to the safeguarding case worker if involved...otherwise I guess you have no choice ...what have your LEA said?

Unfortunately, not a lot, as usual! seems to depend who you speak to, some say keep it practically forever and some say we shouldn't hold any records after they have left. So i've just decided to do it my own way.

I contacted PLA to find out what the latest advice is and they sent me an updated document from December 2015. The only problem is that I'm not sure how to attach it!

Edited by kiddywink

On the subject of keeping records etc, does anyone have a data protection policy that they are willing to share? We are reviewing all our policies and whilst we have a children's records policy, we don't seem to have a general data protection one and I think this would be a good idea to have.

What data protection training do you do for your staff?