Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First aid

I was wondering if everyone in your setting has their paediatric first aid certificate including bank staff and volunteers, or just the permanent staff?

volunteers would not needed it unless being counted in ratio. All others should be trained as of September 2015 to my understanding

I agree with finleysmaid

Kiddywink - is this something else you (me) need to think of if using a committee member 'in ratio' or as a 1 off do you think we would be ok?

Only staff, and only recently trained everyone again in readiness for whatever becomes the requirement, also brought in a company called 'Wiltshire first aid' , if anyone in that area or surrounding, can recommend, good price, minimum of 3 students, blended course so 6 hrs practical then 6 hours online ( though all did the online in around 3hrs) :-)

it seems to keep changing...not sure I've seen anything set in stone yet, only read about 'newly qualified' staff, but I needed to get one member of staff renewed and couldn't find anywhere offering it close enough so decided to bring someone in and re-do any lapsed or recent staff in readiness for what will be thrown at us next.

I agree with finleysmaid

Kiddywink - is this something else you (me) need to think of if using a committee member 'in ratio' or as a 1 off do you think we would be ok?

God Knows! I'd like to think that we would be OK as a one off.

We're based in Essex and had a local, recognised company come out. They charged £700 for up to 12 people, so 8 of us and as based in a school 4 school staff so worked out quite reasonable. We had two full days with a written test at the end of each day.

This is currently under consultation with the following proposal:

'This consultation document proposes to make it a requirement, in addition to existing EYFS requirements, that newly qualified early years staff (with a full and relevant level 2 or level 3 childcare qualification) must have either a full PFA or an emergency PFA (for the proposed content of this training see para 18) certificate before they can be included in the required adult: child ratios in an early years setting (including private, voluntary and independent providers; and schools).' (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/paediatric-first-aid-eyfs-statutory-framework-amendments page 6 of document)

I think it's meant to come into practice this year

My understanding is that it comes into force from this Sept (2016) and then is only for newly qualified staff. Of course I could be wrong, frequently am.

this is correct - I checked with LEA recently. It will just be a requirement for newly qualified.

We aim to have as many staff qualified as possible at any one time (nice to know that newly qualified will be coming in with it already done.)

We do group, in-house training as we have a large staff team (24 here, 30 at my other nursery) so we can always fill a group ourselves.

I prioritise full-time staff, then part-time, contracted, then supply.

We are a staff of five and we are all first aid trained but one assistant is about to run out. Do you think it's acceptable to delay her training as she only ever works with three other staff who all hold the paediatric qualification. It's going to cost £65 for her and we are just about to spend £150 for all staff to attend behaviour training. I am only talking about delaying for one year.

So if it's going to be that just newly qualified staff have to do it, presumably we won't have to make our bank staff do it too, it's just they don't tend to be in very often and if everyone else has it, it seemed overkill.

I keep wondering why they think this will make any difference. They still need to update every three years and if they dont then the we are no better off. I cant understand why they didnt have ALL staff, they could have given a 1 or 2 year time scale to do it in.