Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Single sessions

We do not allow parents to only book a half day session (3 hours) in a week. We ask that they book a whole day or two halves as a minimum.

This is mostly because we find that these parents are usually just using us to get their child experience of the school (we are on their site) and when we took children for half days in the past they always struggle to settle as they are so used to the settings that they go to for the rest of the week. They find it hard to make friends as the children who come to us more know each other better. We often had behavioural problems (shyness or aggression) because of both these things. There is no reduction in the paper work etc for a child that comes for such a short time and key people struggle to do what they have to.

However, parents continue to press us to book one half day. So does anyone have information on why this might not be the best thing for children that we could use when questioned?

We've recently added this to our admission policy to, we don't allow one whole day either, they have to come for a minimum of 6 hrs on 2 different days, we mainly found it was the 2yr olds that only wanted 1 3hr session, they weren't forming strong relationships and every week seemed like starting over regarding settling and boundaries, apart from all the paperwork for such a short time, the KPs were having to give so much support that their other KC were not getting a lot of attention.

• Like 4

I think your reasons a perfectly valid. If it's your policy, end of discussion.

I have got one child only doing one session, it's been fine, although if if he's off one week it's ages until we see him. He will come more regularly when he's funding starts in Seotember. He does go anywhere else, we do offer a cheap pm session for 2 year olds but it still adds up for Mum's who are not working.

We have never allowed only one half day. Our babies are not allowed half days at all - just full days (I am reluctant to allow just one - but I will if I have one to spare but it's on a reviewable basis). Two year olds and upwards can have half days but only three or more. This is for all the reasons others have mentioned but I'm afraid it's also a business decision (sustainability - we are a charity but have to stay viable). Our toddler room is very busy and if we only have one or two places left and we give half a day to someone, we are effectively preventing ourselves from offering a full time place should anybody want it. I have always had to consider opportunity costs and co-incidence of double want (finding someone that happens to want the other half of the day) when allocating places (comes from my background in economics). I know this wasn't really what you were looking for but it is something we had to consider when formulating policy.

simple....in (name of setting)'s opinion it is not in the best interest of the child....

That is exactly how I put it to anyone trying to book just one 3 hour session........

I used to allow it and it was a complete nightmare - children find it harder to settle - they can't access the full curriculum and it is nigh on impossible to get any accurate progress assessments for them......

• Like 2

We always offer 3 with a minimum of two. For the same reason as Sunnyday- it really isnt in the best interest of the child.

I've never offered and wouldnt. Besides I always think when we are asked for just one session that we are being used.

• Like 4