Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS - new staff members own ?

HELP.....I have a new member of staff starting in a few weeks who has proudly told me she's started her own DBS check with a company called DBS Direct, we use capita, I've never known anyone do their own rather than for the organisation, can you tell me if this is ok providing it's registered with update service so that I can check it that way (providing she's asked for enhanced/childcare workforce), but no idea how her ID will be checked with this company, does anyone use them ? Thanks

Thanks Fredbear, had a quick look but with out filling in boxes you can't get far, it gives a choice of for self or organisation, she's in this afternoon for induction was going to go through it all then...I know she was only trying to impress but wish she hadn't, could well be a waste of £65 :-/

I understand that the update service is available to all with a DBS number as long as it is used within 19 days of issue. The service is accessed independently of whoever issued the DBS number. As for verifying documents, prior to DBS there were umbrella companies that issued CRB numbers but you had to physically visit them with your documentation to prove that you were who you said you were - perhaps its the same in this instance!

The way i understand it is that it is now the workers own DBS.. and they sort it themselves, basically, and they can pay for a yearly update service at around £19 per year. Employers then only need to confirm the DBS number is as active.. or as upto date as you require it to be.

A DBS check is only has good for checking past convictions.. so from the date it is done it is "out of date", so to speak. And who is to say the person applying for a DBS has not been accused of wrongdoings and never actually convicted! Unfortunately it is the best we can do in checking. Also a great safeguarding procedure in your setting should make sure no staff are alone with children at any time.

I think a yearly DBS check is "best practice" and to keep asking staff, at every supervision at least, have they any convictions they need to share with you. I guess we put our faith in the justice system :rolleyes:

Edited by BroadOaks

Urm now would have to say that I think this is probably ok......you only need her DBS number and permission to access update service. As said you can check (and should check ) their 'update' regularly. Of course I could well be wrong...finding this subject SO confusing ...struggling with all the changes in security at the moment! (you need a copy of her passport anyway to prove she is legal to work in this country ...or have the appropriate documents for work.)

• Like 2

Mouse, we had an Ofsted inspection just before Xmas, it happened to be the same inspector we had had at our previous 5 years before and she knew we had only had one staff change since then so that was the staff members folder she chose to check. She checked everything to do with her recruitment which included copies of her passport and the other bits we had to prove ID. I would keep copies of all the docmentaion

• Like 1

Do you keep copies of the ID you check to for committee members to or only for those 'working in the U.K.'

the directors have to produce id for their directorship which is used for money laundering so there is a paper trail for that therefore we do not need to keep info. Staff however are checked by me so I keep a photocopy ...for everyone, whatever their background

dbs's are not ours they belong to the holder so we do not keep these (it is not recommended to do so) . We now hove lots of private information and follow a clear data protection plan as we also now ask for parents NI numbers and childrens NHS numbers!

• Like 2

the directors have to produce id for their directorship which is used for money laundering so there is a paper trail for that therefore we do not need to keep info.

Sorry! But it did make me laugh laughing-smiley-014.gif

I wish we made enough money to have it laundered wink.gif

• Like 2

Not sure if where i posted now but i read that it is the Employer who needs to apply for the DBS on behalf of the Employee. i was under the wrong impression that Employee's could simply acquire their own DBS :unsure: but you all probably know that already. i just wanted to clarify that i was wrong in my presumption in my earlier post.

It would make sense however to have some kind of online list that with the Employee's consent we can simply view their own personal DBS! It can't be that difficult to achieve and would make things much easier.

if a conviction was to appear on an Employee's DBS file.. it could alert Employers right away?

• Like 1

I agree with Broadoaks although you could check the DBS update service more regularly if you wanted to.

If you are worried about id could you ask that she brings in photo Id and confirmation of current address for your records.

When employing someone you need to see photo ID anyway as part of checking their right to work in the UK