Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diarrhoea policy

footsteps12

Hi

Am looking at making a better policy and procedure for when children have diarrhoea and need to be excluded for 48 hours. How do other settings implement this? Finding parents don't like taking children home for 48 hours and need something more forma in place to be able to back up sending them home.

Thanks

Well I hate to be rude, but I feel like saying 'tough' to these parents. It's a 48hr rule, it's not your personal rule, it's across the board. Tell them that it's mandatory, you understand that it's hard, but it's not your decision. It's common sense - if children are returning to the setting before they are completely well and eating and toileting normally, then other children can get it too, staff included, then the whole setting would have to close - possibly for more than 48 hours if they get it in tandem. All resources would have to be deep cleaned - so possibly another full day of closure .....

Put up a poster and remind them that they've all agreed your policy on sickness!

• Like 4

Thanks thats helpful advise. The bit I am struggling with is a definition of what actually qualifies as diahorrhoea. How many loose nappies and in what time period? Need to make this a definite so staff know and are following this and so we can argue this with the parent as we are finding we have to justify our diagnosis!

Diarrhoea Is definitely not just a loose nappy ie if it's all contain.

We have had the 48 hours policy for years. No problem, I remind them every half term lay newsletter. I tell them when they can return if we send them home or parent phones in.

I thought it a bit over the top recently but an a & e nurse confirmed its the right policy.

Well if the same key person is changing nappies for each child, they would get to know what their typical stool is like, hence they know when it is uncharacteristically loose, any nappy which is particularly watery and smelly could be considered as diarrhea and other symptoms alongside - frequency, urgency, vomitting. Your records will show these events, why would a parent not believe you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)