Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

FE information in Romanian?

I have had a new family appear this morning, who are Romanian..........and I need some help explaining FE to them. Dad was insistent that they can pay, but I tried explaining it's a universal credit that everyone is entitled to. Does anyone have any info in writing that I can give to the family to explain it properly, please??

Unbelievably, I tried County; Sure Start, various councils and google...........................nowt. I tried my graduate group..................nothing and then, I appealed on the marillion fan page and someone was able to help me :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: now why didn't I think of that !

• Like 3

Unbelievably, I tried County; Sure Start, various councils and google...........................nowt. I tried my graduate group..................nothing and then, I appealed on the marillion fan page and someone was able to help me :)

The powers above try anything they can to grind us down at every opportunity............ is about time they realised what just feisty little resourceful peeps we really are- we can find the answers to anything!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Ok, things have just become VERY complicated! The child COULD have started school in September, but because they only moved here recently, they missed out on a place as the school is full. So, school advised them to apply for the next round......for Sept 2016. I reminded dad that the deadline is looming and so he tried to deal with the on-line application yesterday. He sent a message in today to say the page won't let him apply, as his child is too old, ( for Reception!). I phoned County Hall today and the VERY sniffy woman I spoke to informed me it's because the child should already be in school and there ARE places in schools 12 miles away. I explained that they want their child to attend the village school, 2 minutes away and they seem happy to keep their child here with us until September. She siad....and I quote ...... 'well, she would have been MUCH better off on a reception class, because then she would have HAD to speak English, istead of playing and not having to bother in a preschool or nursery' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She then went on to say that if the family wants to delay until September 16, the child will automatically go into YR1........

I phoned the school for advice and they suggested delaying the application until June, when the family can apply for a YR1 place, although as the child is August born, she could stay in Reception. I REALLY need help to translate this into Romanian and explain it as clearly as possible......................school couldn't guarantee a place for Set16 either, so I don't want the family to feel I misled them, i want them to understand all the possibilities. Can anyone help please???

Hilarious :) someone just pointed out to me that the council's own website says they DO offer a translation service, for any documents that need it.......so I phoned them up to ask. Response?? Oh erm, no, we don't. 'well, your site says you do'.................ok, hang on a minute. about 4 minutes tick past and a lady comes on: I understand you need something translating?? I explained my need..........and she said, 'ok, tell the parents to fill in the form, send it in and then when their child is on our system............and only when she is.......we can arrange a three way phone call with them to translate any questions they might have.

erm...........what if they need that help NOW to help with the forms etc???...................No, not untiil the child is physically on the system. sorry :)

How blinking ridiculous! if you were nearer I could get it translated for you but a bit tricky from here!

Secondly I would report your phone call to the borough.....flipping rude and misinformed in my opinion!

Thirdly you should be able to apply for an in year transfer space (if the school has places) she can do her whole reception year with you (until this July) but then would have to join year 1....if the school allow her to go in to reception then as the info stands at the moment she may have to leap over a year at a later stage .....or join year 1 later ...not sure if either of these things really help in terms of social settling though. She would really be better starting the school now ...which she can if they have spaces and the Head is in agreement....in our borough the school can usually do this and just inform the borough....so therefore they don't have to jump the hoops at the lea!

Do they want her to be with you ar are they happy to send to school now?

(sorry this info may not be of any help....feel for you! as a setting with 10 languages spoken something I deal with fairly regularly!!)

Perhaps an appeal on Facebook for anyone in your locality who could translate? I must say, it seems as if you have a very unhelpful LEA! If the child could actually be in school now, it seems that some of the onus should be on the school to help too. Have you contacted the school yourself?

• Like 1

I agree with Cait. As the child is of school age shouldn't the school and the LA admissions team be involved with the family? It's not a case of passing the buck. They will probably come back with as the child has not been registered it's not their problem. Do the local schools have any other Romanian families?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...