Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas for Visits

Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas of organisations etc that could visit our preschool room?

Our local PCSOs visited recently which the children loved.

Also in the process of organising a visit from St John Ambulance.

Cheers!

Our local library do out reach visits, there is also a museum there as well and they bring out artefacts and talk to the children about them, may sound dull but they love it, the curator asks if we have any recurring themes, topics the children are interested in and then chooses objects she thinks suitable. They are wrapped up in tissue paper and set out for the children to unwrap one by one as she tells a story which then needs the next object unwrapped etc. can be up to 20 minutes of heaven!!

We have a parent who plays guitar exceptionally well, he comes in once a term for a good old sing song.

Fire Brigade have been in.

You might be able to get your local dentist on board.

ONe of our parents was a nurse on the children's ward she came in and talked to the children

• Like 1

any local wildlife centres.. or zoos.. we had Bristol zoo visit with some creepy crawlies and did a lovely 40 mins story using them and a magic carpet ride.. very interactive and the children loved it..

ask parents.. amazing what we found.. we regularly had snakes and giant snails, and the children who usually had them at home really enjoyed showing them off and talking about them.

local museum had boxes to borrow on various subjects,, (closed for refurb now )

Children's centre used to send someone in with a guitar to sing and play with the children,

library had a story teller who was in great demand..

One of my neighbours is a puppy walker for Guide Dogs, she's been in a few times with her puppies.

Oooh how lovely - that's something I would really like to do in my retirement - mind you it must be really hard to part with the dogs....

One of my neighbours is a puppy walker for Guide Dogs, she's been in a few times with her puppies.

reminds me of something that happened a few years ago when we had a man visit with his training dog however a member of staff hadnt known about the visit -so imagine her surprise when a staff member called out "the man with the guide dog is here" -she said "how did he get here all alone?" "he drove here in his car" was the reply -can you imagine her face it was a picture - we still laugh about it now lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Okay so we have previously had visits from the :

The Librarians, shared stories and sung songs.

The ambulance service, but you probably wouldn't get that now.

The fire service, great fun for the children, climbing onto the engine, using the hose etc.

The police and car, great dressing up, finger printing and getting in the car.

The dental practitioner, brought puppets, masks and gave a lovely talk for children and parents on dental hygiene.

Music workshops in collaboration with our LA. Children enjoyed listening to different instruments, playing instruments, dancing and singing, this was a six week project.

Art project again with our LA. An artist and actress came for a few weeks and the children were able to explore art and drama, great fun.

Our local vicar comes in and shares a story occasionally, like at harvest time.

I know there are a few companies locally that will bring out small reptiles, and furry friends, at a cost.

Have you thought of RSPB, or the Woodland Trust they might do something too.

Whatever you decide have fun.:):)

• Like 1

We had a guy from RSPCA with his rescue dog , had a little girl who was terrified by dogs but willingly went up and stroked this one . Her family now have a dog ! Visits from local dance group

Our vicar visits fortnightly for song, story or play with children.

We have not many other visitors though so should maybe think about that.

We visit lots of places in our community , church, allotments, school, park

I'd be interested to hear if you are sucessful in getting anyone!

Fire, Police, nurses, ambulance won't come out to us any more they apologise and like the rest of us are suffering from cuts in these kind of things, we just 'pounce' on a parent if they are in one of those helpful services :P

• Like 2

We have had the coastguard come in, the community police officer, ambulance and paramedic, we have had a blind lady and her guide dog, parents with puppies, snakes, lizards and gekkos. But most importantly a visit from my gorgeous old spaniel who thought it was great fun!!

• Like 1

We have had visits from parents with babies. Children bring in their own dolls, teddies etc. The parent feeds and changes the baby and we have nappies for the children to change their 'babies'. The children really enjoy it. The baby's sibling normally feels very important.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)