Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overwhelmed by the changes?

thumperrabbit

It feels as if we have a million and one things that have changed and if I'm honest I am struggling to keep up, cope and understand it all and as the manager I'm expected to cascade, inform staff what to do, ensure we are implementing everything - but how can I when I 'don't get' half of it myself!!

I have had a staff meeting today and found myself saying that they needed to be more pro-active looking at Safeguarding Sites finding out whats changed without me having to feedspoon everything - ensure that they read what I send eg Prevent Duty guidance, understand the importance of reading new inspection docs etc etc

We have a 1 hour staff meeting every week, but that doesn't even scrape the surface of talking about the important stuff - the children! - and discussing anything else is a 2 minute affair that doesn't help anyone

How do you cascade info to your staff? I use email but then email doesn't mean that they read it (and i know they don't!) but if i print everything off I know it will be filed under B once home so that's wasting my time.

Just can't keep up with it all and it's stressing me out, everything's moving to quickly :( :blink:

• Like 4

I feel the same thumperrabbit, sometimes (well a lot of the time) they seem to think as long as I know it that's fine ...it doesn't mean them, on top of everything there has been a 'planning' melt down today, we are reviewing and it isn't going well, a couple like the new way a couple hate it, but no one ever offers any better ideas, i bought the Anna Ephgrave planning book a couple of weeks ago and they haven't even bothered opening the cover.....I'm totally fed up of trying to drip feed everything into them when I'm having to take all the changes on board to :-(

• Like 5

Oh totally agree thumperrabbit. I'm afraid I cant pay my staff enough for them to be 'pro-active'. They turn up, are reliable, do a good job between 8 and 1 then go home to their lifes!! I have a 1 hour meet with my manager each week to go over 'points to be discussed' then hopefully between the two of us important stuff gets dealt with and we hum and ha over the not so important - which for me, is all the b*** from .gov and Ofsted!! I print off, file and refer to it, if and when needed. As you say the important stuff is delivering the eyfs and making sure children are safe. That is my priority - that is what allows me to sleep at night - and until my staff and I are paid for 'out of hours' then we do what we can do on pathetic hourly rate funding!

• Like 6

You are not on your own it has been fast and furious of late with little time to develop and digest it all before we are judged on it. We need time to get to grips as leaders and practitioners even our LAs are only just launching training if we are lucky. When the powers that be launch the changes/legislation we should have a better timescale to implement it.

I too feel stressed that staff feel overwhelmed with info that I share with them I asked them to do the channel/prevent free on-line training so far none of them have done it. Plus we have cut hours as our intake has been low. Our team has been together for a long time no change for 5yrs I know one member of staff has interviews in the pipeline and another looks like she may do too. Perhaps they have the right idea. Totally demoralised at the moment so can empathise with you thumperrabbit .

I have dropped my hours as child numbers are lower in this term so only working 3 days. Got staff working in paid hours only, refusing to do learning stories at home (and I do know that they shouldn't have to). No time for my key children, havent actually updated any policies, committee doing nothing, not looked at FBV or Prevent and the list goes on!!!!!

But, on my days off I make sure I go out and do nothing for work (except converse with you lovely people on here x)

I cant believe I feel like this only a few weeks into the new year. :(:(

Edited by lsp
  • Like 6

My to do list too is overwhelming, I'm trying to float but feels like I'm sinking! I thought I had it sorted but oh how wrong was I!!! Staff seeming to think they can demand what hours they want to work, staff member leaving as I carnt change hours to their liking! So now my to do list remains at a stand still and will do so for a good while ?

I have taken a new outlook though!! Iam having days off work!!! Oh yes Iam and they are Saturday and Sunday ! And I'm feeling better for it. x

• Like 8

Glad it's not just me - but I can't see it getting anybetter

Feedback from County states LOTS of settings who were Outstanding are going into RI because they haven't taken on board Prevent and everything that comes with it, no training in our area as yet

And 'Teaching' is dragging everyone down - erm could that be down to the fact that mainly we aren't qualified teachers

Intergrated 2yr checks need to be taking place apparently as of Septmeber - no training as yet

EHC plans - luckily don't have any need at the moment, but my goodness seems a minefield

EVERYTHING training wise needs to be paid for - we can't afford it and to the helpful advisors who say use EYPP we don't have any nor do we have any 2yr funding either - no matter what, we seem to be at a disadvantage where £'s are concerned we are struggling to pay staff let alone 'club' together with another group to spread the cost.

Foreveryoung I like your optimisim but I know if I didn't work at the weekends NO paperwork would be done at all and it would stress me out even more

Sorry guys I'm obviously on a downer at the moment :(

• Like 2

Well if Oustanding settings are getting downgraded for not being able to quote Prevent (whatever that is- ha ha) then we may as well all sit around, feet up, drinking coffee - from safety cups of course :)

Absoloutely disgraceful!! I think there is definately a Plot to finish us all off.

The'll be asking us to quote the flamin Magna Carta next!

• Like 3

I'm with you all , we discussed this at our last staff meeting ( only once a month ) many staff said they did not read emails ! And would prefer written copies ( this peeved another member ) so I am going ( note going ) to copy , put in a file and each member of staff has to read and sign when done .

I have lost my mojo a little this term , it's fluctuating and still struggling to get finished policies plus appraisals coming up , I desperately need one for myself as never had one , and think it is difficult for committee run settings if committee have no experience , to be fair they pretty much let me get on with it and are there in a supporting role rather than an interfering one.

I try to inspire others but often feel like I'm just moaning or being bossy !

Listened to a EY teacher who is feeling rather down hearted and it actually made me feel sad for her and forgot my own concerns

• Like 2

Sorry guys I'm obviously on a downer at the moment :(

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

I know the feeling :(:( :(

Things have been slightly better for me this week- as I think the owner has now actually realised just how much the staff do unpaid.

I'm like you, and panic a bit about the things that 'need' doing, however I am now stepping back on not spending as much unpaid time doing them. (but I should add it's bl*****y hard not doing it!!! xDxD :lol: )

• Like 2

I think early years is a bit like trying to swim in treacle...flipping hard work and most of the time you feel like you are drowning more than swimming. I think the reality is that we only survive because of all the unpaid extra hours we put in.

• Like 8

Well, you know how I'm feeling about it all at the moment! I just feel like I'm drowning!

I too have the Anna Ephgrave book out on the worktop each day for staff to look at or even, *gasp* TAKE HOME to have a look at, but no.... And then they wonder why the 'planning' doesn't feel as though it's working!

I think I'd like to start asking them to be more proactive about looking things up (I have one lady who is brilliant at this already - she's my unqualified!) but then they'd probably be disgruntled about doing it in their own time and not being paid xD Er, hello?!

Lots of huge hugs from me for everyone who is 'feeling the strain'.......

These threads (this and the recent 'Had enough') make me so sad - so many people really struggling out there......

I have often felt the same way - but try hard to 'rise above it' - I love, love, love my job - yes there are loads and loads of problems/issues to contend with - but there is not any other way that I would like to spend my days than running my little setting! :1b

With regard to the Prevent Duty and FBV - I have just downloaded lots of 'bumph' (mainly from this forum) - I am going to put it altogether in a folder along with copies of certificates gained by yours truly and whole staff team - we all did the online training - think it was Oksana that added a link for this - honestly it is just a 10 minute job - guess I am lucky that my team were happy to do it in their own time - if this were not the case I would have 'let them go' 15 minutes early (in turn) for them to do so.

Chins up my lovelies! :1b

The weekend is upon us - not too much working now! :1b

• Like 7

It isn't only staff, ofsted and LA piling pressure on ...this week we have had S&L who would like to see all resource drawer labels duplicated so that child can take off and bring to you and a portage worker who wants all the photos we use as routine prompts redone with another child in photos showing them doing it....and whilst I concede they are both good ideas it's muggins here who will be putting it into practice ....

• Like 1

It isn't only staff, ofsted and LA piling pressure on ...this week we have had S&L who would like to see all resource drawer labels duplicated so that child can take off and bring to you and a portage worker who wants all the photos we use as routine prompts redone with another child in photos showing them doing it....and whilst I concede they are both good ideas it's muggins here who will be putting it into practice ....

Oh my word....as you say Mousekeeter, good idea!! Apart from the fact that I can see lots of my curious twos pulling all available labelling off - even those that are'nt meant to be pulled off - and posting them in any available opening/slots around the setting.....

I do think some folk live on another planet........... my response to that would be smile, nod and then scrrrreeeeaaaaammm!!

• Like 2

Had the email from Educare today about the Prevent duty free online course, so I'll be emailing the link to that to my team... :)

Oh well best show willing.....can you post the link here please HiAPreschool please? Like Sunnydays idea of doing this online!

Oh well best show willing.....can you post the link here please HiAPreschool please? Like Sunnydays idea of doing this online!

It wasn't the Educare course - it was one that Oksana (I think) posted a link to - it literally took 10 minutes to complete :1b

It wasn't the Educare course - it was one that Oksana (I think) posted a link to - it literally took 10 minutes to complete :1b

Oooo where would that be then..........? Are you there Okansa???

............thanks Sunnyday

Ha ha, this is what set me off at the start of this term. S+L therapist TOLD me it would only take me a 'quick five minutes to run off' (photograph/ print/laminate/Velcro/label) a complete new set of visual timetable photos :huh:

I'm afraid I was not very professional at that point, and actually lost it :unsure: I even suggested that perhaps she might like to do it herself either when she got home from work ,or maybe a Sunday afternoon without pay?!

• Like 6

I am drowning, my feet legs are flapping like mad and I keep coming up and gasping for breath, but fear that I am sinking FAST. Started the term having worked to update lots in the holiday, thinking that we were on top of things. How can it slide so quickly down hill in a few short weeks? I was really up on all the prevent duty stuff and how to promote British values, I spent a lot of time searching the internet for resources and info, before it was even sent out by our LA. I wrote a policy, amended and included this in other policies and also shared with staff. Last week we get sent an amended prevent duty(yes already) The whole staff team are going to wrap3 training in a couple of weeks so hopefully will gain form this.

Now the SEF!! I completed the last sef by myself, no input from anyone (apart to point out spelling mistake when it was finished ) So as ours really needs new info, I thought with the changes this will be the ideal time to get staff and committee on board!!! Sat at staff meeting yesterday with a prompts sheet and am faced by blank faces and not one thing was written down.

Last week we had so many emails, all with something that meant a change somewhere and to something. One which included info about an early support hub, but am still unsure what this replaces!!

Our problem is, we are going to have to pressure parents to come onto the committee this year and if they really knew what they are responsible for, they would run a mile!! So how are they meant to help me with any input?

Anyway, guess what? I am not doing any work this weekend :wacko: Hope you all do the same.

Sorry to be a moaning Minnie, but I have never known it this bad!! :(

• Like 4

For those of you in a union, can they help? Hubby keeps telling me to join one, but not sure if it would help? As I have said before, strength in numbers and we need to unite. This nonsense has to stop as we are all so stressed and I know for me it is effecting my health. I don't know of many jobs where emloyees work ridiculous unpaid hours week after week.

• Like 1