Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking groups

Have you had a look at the group comparison screen? This might give you the information you're looking for- comparing a group across two assessment period snapshots.

A useful line graph is the analysis>EYFS>progress overview. The line graph shows you which aspects in the areas of learning children are making the most/least progress in. many settings find this useful in determining staff training in certain areas of learning/aspects, and in auditing provision and practice in those aspects.

Scroll down also to the groups section for viewing groups with the most/least progress too.

• Like 1

My problem is we are constantly told not to have a child of 40/60 age band going into reception but if I have a child who is say 55 mths and is in aged 30/50 age bands it shows them working way below when I know they aren't.Not sure of a way around that

This is quite ridiculous isn't it? If your child is 55 months, then you'd expect them to be in the 40-60 months age bracket! I think you need to stick to your guns, here, and challenge such nonsensical practice.

If you haven some hard evidence to support your assessment, i.e. photographic, written, audio, then how can you not put a child in the correct category. Seems to me that the next group of people to have your children want to show progression at any cost. They should really bear in mind that it is 60+, and that + will take the child up to when she is nearly 6

So glad someone has raised this. I keep reading that reception expect children to enter in the 30-50 month range......

I just track mine as I see fit and almost all leave for reception in 40-60. As far as I am concerned, it's then up to school to decide.

• Like 5

Yes, it's does seem nonsensical, especially when I have had children go up to school who have their 5th birthday in September. Why shouldn't I be able to place them in the correct age band? I've had children who exceed that band before they leave me, children who are confidently writing and sounding out words and making good attempts at phonetic spelling. Who are confidently reading and numerate, so what possible purpose would it be to say they are not? Especially in the eyes of their parents!

Luckily, our schools don't ask that we stay in the lower band, and are happy that we assess them to where they actually are.

• Like 1

My problem is we are constantly told not to have a child of 40/60 age band going into reception but if I have a child who is say 55 mths and is in aged 30/50 age bands it shows them working way below when I know they aren't.Not sure of a way around that

Just interested in who gave you that advice?

As others have said - I assess thoroughly and my assessments are a true record of where I feel each child is at the time.....

I think that Reception teachers will be 'baselining' from September - will be interesting to see how that works out......

I am always aware of how my returning children will have 'slipped' during the long summer break...

• Like 1

maybe you are the same county as me RedDragon..our training (not that i took any notice of it) told us that unless a child was exceptionally talented or gifted they would not be going into reception on 40-60+....ummm right :/

Nuts - and that's not the first word that sprang to mind :ph34r:

• Like 3

We have cluster meetings with all local schools are were told by all teachers that children are expected to be within the 30-50 age bracket for starting reception.

It's created a lot of discussion when tracking children

I can understand that, as assessed by their new and unfamiliar teachers in September after a long break and while busy learning about a new environment and way of life for the next 12 years, many children will fall more into the 30 to 50 months bracket.

But, at the same time, that is no reason why the old, familiar staff who have seen those children in a familiar setting for the past year or more will not have accurately assessed the same child as being within the 40 to 60 months bracket! Especially, in our settings where the individual child's needs are at the heart of our planning and experiences...

I'm very happy that the schools local to us have not queried our assessments of the children. If they did, I would be suggesting more transition work for them to see the child as we see them ;)

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts for what they are worth.

1) A child enters reception at a minimum of 48 months and a few days. Hence the very youngest (and I'm not including all "Summer born" children here as the April births are somewhere around 52 months on entry to reception) might be in 30 - 50m but the majority would typically be emerging into the skill set of 40 - 60+

2) Judgements should be based on what a child can do as embedded skills. Not "seen three times" or any random rules made up. They are the typical skills that you would always expect. Unless they are having a really bad day!

3) Evidence is there to support and illustrate your judgements. That's what observations are for. You have to be able to decribe how you know the child has shown the skills in different contexts. Not what you aspire for them to achieve but what the actually do. Regardless of how much you want them to do something.

4) The Develoment matters etc docs are NOT the curriculum and do not define all the aspects of the educational programmes in each band. They are just to give a guidance framework. However, they have to be interpreted in the light of the age they decribe. Making your needs known at 2 is very different to being 5. Same descriptor, different interpretation. Your professional knowledge of child development is more important.

5) Moderation of your judgements is crucial for any provider.

6) The schools accountabilty BASELINE does not provide the information required to plan and deliver a curiculum. Other information will still be essential and needs to be as accurate as possible.

Cx

• Like 4