Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sterilising liquid in the water tray

Sorry I can't think of any reason why should. Sterilising fluid is bleach isn't it? So not sure it should be there for children to play with.

I use water sometimes adding bubble bath to make it frothy or food colouring to change the colour.

Sorry radish why do you want to add it?

If your water is replaced each day I doubt that is what is causing any infections, I really don't think sterilizing tablets or liquid in your water tray would be good for the children it would be a bad chemical for their skin. We do put in antibacterial soap into our water makes it smell nice and the children often like the bubbles.

How else do you think children may be passing on bugs to each other? Do you have a good hand washing routine, do you replace your playdough regularly and do you have a robust 48 hour ban on children coming to nursery if they have had a tummy bug?

• Like 1

Thanks for input.

It brought about a big discussion at work. We have a vigorous exclusion and hand washing procedure as well as changing the water every day. Just been on the Milton website and the information there states Milton is not a bleach. And is safer to use than other cleaning agents. Makes interesting reading.

http://www.milton-tm.com/en/consumer/faqs

P.s. I don't work for Milton. Lol

• Like 1

During a review of our policies last year we were told not to use antibacterial soap with children under 5! Things constantly change!!

Edited by radish

Milton is not a bleach.. when I was working with the very sick babies in hospital many years ago we never rinsed the bottles after soaking in Milton as it reintroduced any bugs that could be found in the water /rinsing process.. we just shook out the bottles and made them up .. same with the teats.. never rinsed them.

But there is no need to put it in the water , changing it every day and washing the water tray out well should be more than adequate..

Infections are transferred more from hard objects.. than water.. how often do the other items get cleaned, construction, home corner, dolls, etc etc all often well used and can harbour lots of bugs. All it takes is one child to wipe their nose with a hand and then touch a few items for another to pick it up and then spread it further..

• Like 1

What was the advice about antibacterial soap - was it for their personal use? Or as a group dip in water as well? I do prefer a bit of antibacterial if they are all dipping their hands into a single bowl of water to wash their hands off after a painting activity and then a vigorous dry with paper towel! Can you say why the antibacterial soap was not recommended for under 5's?

This is what we use for handwashing, but not in the water tray.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274067766

Edited by Panders

Hi Panders,

We tailor the PLA policies to our setting and this was the phrase in the nappy changing policy

'Anti-bacterial hand wash liquid or soap should not be used for young children; young skin is quite delicate and anti-bacterial products kill off certain good bacteria that children need to develop their own natural resistance to infection.'

Hope it helps

• Like 2

When my children were babies, I sterilised in Milton (no steam ones around then) we were told dont rinse out bottles and/or teats just shake any excess liquid out However years later my daughter was told to rinse out with boiling water first.

I will say though that I ruined a good few tops with Milton over the years- it may not contain bleach but it can take the colour out of your clothes as bleach does! I dont think it smells as strong as it used to though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)