Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I just being paranoid again....?

Melba

Obviously we must all be a bit concerned about the actual effects of funded hours going up to 25 or 30 a week.

Then I read something in Nursery World where Childcare Minister Sam Gyimah is quoted as saying that there would be a consultation about this with the sector after the election.

To me that says, they make promises, we all hold up our hands and say how are we supposed to cope with the increase? They say, oh well we offered and it is the fault of the providers that we can't deliver what we promised!

And yet again everything is the fault of the people who are doing all the actual work with children....

• Like 3

Well I really hope it doesn't happen - all sorts of reasons for this - including the idea that these are 'free' places - when will they ever take on board they are not flippin' free they are heavily subsidised by the providers.......(Insert growling smiley here or that lovely one that SueJ uses with smoke coming out of it's ears)

• Like 7

I just put in another post .. I hope it doesn't happen because we can't offer it and we wonder how many parents will be put off us because of it.

On a personal thought though I also think that there's too much pressure being put on parents to go back to work and that looking after their own child doesn't seem important anymore.

• Like 7

To me that says, they make promises, we all hold up our hands and say how are we supposed to cope with the increase? They say, oh well we offered and it is the fault of the providers that we can't deliver what we promised!

And yet again everything is the fault of the people who are doing all the actual work with children....

If it is anything like previous "consultations" we will no doubt be "consulted to" and irrespective of any views we may present (obviously based on experience and knowledge of the sector) will promptly be ridden over roughshod and the changes will be made anyway - and just for Sunnyday post-9650-0-43142000-1430459438_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Where are all the additional settings going to spring up from then, if all children are entitled to the 25/30 hours funding.

We are currently double our capacity in terms of children throughout the week.

It won't be possible with us and unless there is a huge increase in provisions I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Another bonkers idea for us all to mull over.:(

• Like 2

Well I guess some settings will be forced to close... :(

BUT WAIT!!.. I have a new business idea- People will be able to open a 'play-base' perhaps in a village hall, children can come and play for 2-3 hours each day- however parents will have to pay though :D:D ::1a

• Like 4

BUT WAIT!!.. I have a new business idea- People will be able to open a 'play-base' perhaps in a village hall, children can come and play for 2-3 hours each day- however parents will have to pay though :D:D ::1a

louby I do believe this could take off! :P:DxD

• Like 1

Well I guess some settings will be forced to close... :(

Ahh yes, but, we could form a committee of parents all working for the good of their children - maybe even fund raise for some toys and stuff - I like your idea Louby loo, as Sunnyday says I think it would catch on.

• Like 1

One of my current clients has just put her baby on our waiting list for a 2018 start!! - I have had to explain to her that the current funding arrangements are likely to change (to I don't know what) and that at the moment all bets are off on how many spaces we will have by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

As a childminder who also had children using the funded hours, this could actually be beneficial for me! Depending on the funding amount that is! I feel full time nurseries will benefit the most though

Most of the nurseries in my area make up the funding deficit via their unfunded hours - I can see a lot of financial headaches for our full day care colleagues. There is the possibility of a "business opportunity" here setting up new settings if you are used to running with a non existing income surplus and managing a budget on 15 hour funded model but who in the right minds is going to want to do that as in the not too distant future there are pension considerations to factor into budgets and goodness knows what else after the election by way of premises overheads!!

• Like 1