Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eek - I've applied for Uni!

Running Bunny

I've done it! I've sent in my application for the EYTS course. What have I done?!

I really didn't know which route to go down EYTS or MA, but as I'm back on the 'shop floor' so to speak, I thought that the former would be a more useful option.

So, there are only 10 places available on the Employment based route at my local Uni - can everyone cross their fingers for me please!

Anyone who has already completed it or on it this year - is there anything I need to know, what should I expect the workload to be like?

Thanks x

Well done you! I'm mentoring a colleague through her EYTS at the moment (not doing a particularly great job, so I'm not sure I have any insights worth sharing!).

Are there Masters credits attached to your pathway?

My advice for what its worth is to be organised and rigorous when it comes to evidence gathering - get a file and keep everything related to the Standards together so that you can plan effectively. :)

Oh and find a good mentor who is more on top of things than I am! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

I've got an interview....A THREE HOUR INTERVIEW!!!

I've got to do a 5 minute presentation on an example of effective practice I have been involved with, a written exercise and a one-to-one interview with the course leader. Not too much then!

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

***ANOTHER UPDATE***

The interview was yesterday - all 3 1/4 hours of it!

I had to do a 5 minute presentation on effective practice and chose to focus on the planning structure that I have changed since coming into post - a lot more child-led, looking at what the children are doing and going from there, recording the Children's Voice and allowing the staff to be spontaneous either topic related or taking the lead from the children.

We then had to do a group activity on what we thought made an excellent early years teacher - 10 minutes group planning and 5 minute feedback.

After that we had a 30 minute written task on who or what had influenced us in becoming an early years teacher.

Finally a 15 minute interview, which was more of a chat about how we would manage home/family/university etc.

It was a really positive experience and I have absolutely no idea how it went! The other candidates were all school based, whereas I had the 0-3 experience as well as 3-5. Who knows what they are looking for

Will find out by the end of next week - fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep - so despite the fact you have a degree, professional experience and have gone through a 3 hour interview, they have to still do the skills test.

I suppose you could feasibly be rubbish at maths or spelling, and they are just checking but it does seem a little bit strange...

• Like 1

Yep - so despite the fact you have a degree, professional experience and have gone through a 3 hour interview, they have to still do the skills test.

I suppose you could feasibly be rubbish at maths or spelling, and they are just checking but it does seem a little bit strange...

Yep it's a load of rubbish really isn't it? Having done the skills test for GTP, the English and ICT were a cinch but the Maths I found quite tricky. Do they give you more than one chance to sit it?

• 1 month later...

Yet another update...

After a scary few weeks of sitting the practice maths and literacy tests, worrying myself senseless, attending university to find out how to pass the tests and actually sitting them yesterday, I'm relieved to say that I passed!!

DBS has arrived clear too (not that there was any danger it wasn't going to!)

Just got to apply to my old Uni for my degree certificate that has totally vanished into the black hole of 'safe places'.

Roll on September!!

Hi Fab news Running Bunny! I am in a similar position although (haven't had interview yet) but awaiting the dreaded professional tests - I should be ok with literacy but the maths fills me with total and utter dread!! Any tips...?

Any thoughts or ideas what can be done in the event of a failed skills test????

Seems ridiculous to pass an intensive interview, pass gcse's and to have years of experience and the willingness to do better to then not be good enough because of a test in which will never be used to 'teach' 2-4 year olds.

Edited by pickles37