Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30 hours at school nursery

The school could be charging 'top up' fees if they are not full and not all their children already on role fulfil the criteria for a full time place.

We did this last year when we had a few spare places. It made sense too as so many parents want a full-time place although we could not offer lots due to already being nearly full... hope that makes sense.

The school nursery my daughter will attend from September offer full days, but charge for the hours over the 15 free. They didn't do this when my son attended, it was mornings or afternoons only. My daughter will only be doing mornings though, as we can't afford the top-up fees!

Where I used to work, it was fairly typical for school nurseries to be full time. In fact I cant recall ever working in any nursery that wasn't. I suppose it might be a shock if it isnt typical in your area.

Could be because of the way the money is used.. as a pVI we had all the expenses to come out of any income from funding.. insurance, hire fees, national insurance contributions, all resources for everything, from cleaning, large equipment, replacements, daily consumables... you get the picture.. the wages was not the only outgoing...

If the school can divert all the income to wages and have a higher ratio / work to the minimums, then chances are the funding would cover this.

that said nursery in schools here have always been full time places free... and always caused us to be very empty in Sept where so many moved on to them because of that.. they were always full from September and had no places during the year that is when we picked up a lot of the children they could not take.

Thanks for all your replies. Luckily we are only losing two, but it is not a good school. Requires Improvement from Ofsted for three inspections in a row, so I am a bit sad that children are being moved from us. But it's parents' choice!

Thanks for all your replies. Luckily we are only losing two, but it is not a good school. Requires Improvement from Ofsted for three inspections in a row, so I am a bit sad that children are being moved from us. But it's parents' choice!

Well really pleased to hear that this won't have a 'disastrous' effect on your provision.....

• Like 1

All but 1 of our 5 main feeder schools offer nursery provision full time - it is usually 15 funded hours in a morning and then parents can pay for lunch time and/or afternoon sessions.

Lots of parents don't use the afternoon sessions though as they have to pay but then this frees up places for children who have turned 3 after the September intake and we lose a lot of parents to that through out the year.

September - December is always a HUGE struggle for us as we have all 2 year olds with all their challenges (bless 'em ;)) and of course we need all staff for ratio but don't get much money coming in.