Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

not so quiet area

blondie

we have nade two quiet areas in our room which are for the children to sit in quietly (obviously lol) if they would like time out etc., however they aren't working - children are taking lots of toys etc in there, shouting, jumping on each other as well as many other things - so not a quiet area.

no matter how many times i remind them what the area is for - what we do when we are in there it doesn't seem to make any difference - the area is always wrecked/ unusable as a quiet area.

any ideas on how to sort this please?

Hi blondie

When any 'area' isn't working - I tend to 'take it away' - just for a short amount of time - and then start again.......

Sometimes children will ask 'why haven't we got' - whatever, whatever and that gives me an opportunity to explain that we can't have it because.......

well sunnyday I must have read your mind as today I have taken out the cushions, blanket etc that made up the quiet area lol - will wait to see the reaction tomorrow !!

just trying to make a communication friendly spaces for when one or couple of children want to useit as it should be used but they don't they just seem to want to jump,bounce, trash it.

don't know if its just me but lots of areas seem to end up like this - home corner is the best example of this - anyone else have this problem ?

• Like 1

ours responded similarly to a pop-up tent I had fondly imagined as a peaceful reading area. After a couple of goes and relaunches we filled it with plants in pots - no bouncing around because it would knock the plants over - worked a treat!

When we had a problem we opened it all up... made it all open plan so children were very aware we could see all...

While having an enclosed space in theory works for some groups we found with others it simply did not work, was not suitable and tried several ways to implement it. Always comes down to the children at that time, each year giving a different mix, some it worked with - others it definitely did not. .

We found an outdoor quiet area seemed to work well.. while they had to wrap up well, and could not sleep there, it was well used for sitting, chatting, books etc.. we had a park bench (child sized) in an area surrounded by tyre flower gardens. and we had a garden umbrella over it.

Home corner, we reduced all the equipment to the minimum needed for 4 and a small basket of food items.. and as much real stuff as possible... real plates, cups etc that are breakable, were used much better than any plastic - sometimes it got broken but not very often as they recognised that it could not be thrown or dropped on the floor.. A quick risk assessment for the items and a few replacement ones just in case.. we had a simple white set from Asda, bought when they have the student items out for those off to uni - they were cheaper than a plastic set. ;) If you can real food can also help, or we had wooden items that had been given to us..we tried real, they ate it which was ok, but the food they hid and we found weeks later, mouldy did put us of that unless we could supervise well :1b

• Like 1

Could you involve the children in its creation and give them some ownership of it? I'm not sure of your age group, but with preschoolers I did this successfully. I asked them if they would like an area and explained what it was for, I asked what they would like in it and where it should be. They policed it themselves, and often asked if they could take different things in. It worked really well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MaryEMac

We did have the same problem but solved it by moving the quiet area away from the home corner. We also had 3 child sized sofas in there so we moved one into the home corner and kept two in the quiet area.

Mary