Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

monitoring numbers

I'll chase that up woodlands , hadn't realised they had..thanks

I was going to suggest that too- I asked my friend (who is an Ofsted inspector that I would be happy to have I should add :1b ) and she said until you have the new certificate the old rules still apply.

I like Cait's explanation with the octopus, but it seems, my way, foreveryoung, louby loo and Cait's way of working out staff ratios all differ! I've worked out my numbers all four ways and I am still in ratio thank goodness, just worried about adding more children to the mix.

I will get the date on the letter tomorrow as it is in the 'ofsted' file, but it's been a while. I will also be checking my certificate as we were inspected last year.

• Like 2

Hi

I was part of the very original query on this and had the sheet for working mixed ratios out. The point system does not work as the 2 yr old would not be in a 1:4 ratio. The 1:4 can be made up of other 2 yr olds or 3 yr olds.

So looking at the points or octopus theory.... 2 arms takes a 2yr old, leaving 6 arms to take 6x 3 yr olds..this would mean that the 2 yr old was with another 6 x 3 yr olds so in fact in the ratio of 1 adult:7 children and not 1:4.

If Inge sees this she will tell you that her friend used the points system and got pulled up by OFSTED for it! Oh..and of course they wont comment on it or express an opinion either!

Preschool learning alliance infoEmailing Staff:Child Ratios in Mixed Aged Rooms-1.pdf

This supports the fact that children must remain in their ratios of eg 1:4 even if it is made up of older children. The table shows the working out for a setting with babies to 3 yr olds. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the matter!

Edited by marley

Yes , I had a friend who ended up in strife for using the points or Octopus system..

When you ask Ofsted they say read the standards.. which states 1:4 for 2yr olds.. there is no ambiguity in the statement .. it does say that clearly, I did have a check at the latest ones (2014) which state
3.32.For children aged two: • there must be at least one member of staff for every four children;

if you use points etc the children are no longer in a 1:4 but can end up in a 1:7 as an extreme case where there is 1 x 2yrs with 6 x 3 yrs as that would be allowed in a points system.

At one point I remember it being ok with a child that turned 3 in that term being counted in the higher ratio.. but that was a while ago now and I am not sure if that still applies.

So if you work to these numbers just be aware that it may cause an issue... of course if you have eyp or eyt where a 1:13 applies for the over 3s this will cause the ratio requirement to change and would work out differently.