Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Segmenting and blending simple words

zigzag

Reading 40-60: Can segment the sounds in simple words and blend them together and knows which letters represent some of them.

I really need some good ideas of how best to achieve this. I have got the metal mike robot and cards, but this I feel is quite boring. I need some ideas for some active four year old boys. Please help. :1b

Reading 40-60: Can segment the sounds in simple words and blend them together and knows which letters represent some of them.

I really need some good ideas of how best to achieve this. I have got the metal mike robot and cards, but this I feel is quite boring. I need some ideas for some active four year old boys. Please help. :1b

look on pintrest....LOADS of ideas...you might even find one to do with pirates!

• Like 1

I have a popular activity with the boys; I can't remember if it came from L&S or if I devised it - if I have 'stolen' anyone's idea, I apologise in advance!

I have a selection of c-v-c picture cards (about 15-20 works well with a group of 8-10 children). Place the cards face down around the room or area you are using (indoors or out). The teacher says a word in 'robot' talk e.g. /c/ - /a/ - /t/ and the children have to find the card - the first one to find it has to show it to the group, segment the sounds then blend them to make the word. The game has pace, the children love it and are more interested in the blending and segmenting process because it is more interactive and they do not have to sit and wait their turn. It also helps memory because they often remember where they saw the card that they need to find next. So that all children have a turn, they are all asked to find a card at the end and show it to the teacher then segment and blend the sounds.

I can upload a copy of the cards if anyone wants them - I laminate them to ensure they last.

I can upload a copy of the cards if anyone wants them - I laminate them to ensure they last.

Yes please, I was going to make a set this week - you will save me the bother!

• Like 1

We have used the cards in the past playing 'cross the river'. I put a long ribbon on the floor and the children stand on one side of it with the pictures on the floor and I'm on the other. I say 'you can cross the river if you can bring me a c-a-t. They are so competitive! By the end of the game, all the children should be across the river with their picture - they often shout out to help the ones left behind, it's such fun!

Sadly my card are depleted and I was going to spend time this week trawling google images for new pictures!

• Like 1

Mmm ... not sure what happened there! I tried to edit it but it didn't seem to work. Hope you can make sense of this!! :blink:

Yep, they'll do nicely, thank you.

puzzle - what's the tennis racquet word?

Mmm ... it's 'bat' :ph34r: - interesting to compare with the flying type!

haha have to laugh...just downloaded the pictures and you can tell how dyslexic my family are....

bun became muffin

bed became bedstead!

man became eyebrow!

dog became bone

bat became racquet

jacket????

Cat became pilchard!!

cup became teacup

and rug became towel!

....then we got really confused...i have always assumed (maybe wrongly ???) that cvc means only 3 letter words

so bit worried about fish/mouse/house/cheese/duck

thanks devonsmaid.... we have had a laugh this morning as to how weird we are :blink: :blink: xDxDxD

....then we got really confused...i have always assumed (maybe wrongly ???) that cvc means only 3 letter words

thanks devonsmaid.... we have had a laugh this morning as to how weird we are :blink: :blink: xDxDxD

I do that that all the time when playing these games with my class - I know something must be a CVC word but I can't think of one that fits the picture!

I usually play where CVC is 3 sounds rather than 3 letters which I think fits your mystery ones. Could jacket be coat?

• Like 2

Yes. of course you are right - it was just easier to name the file c-v-c and I had forgotten that I include these - simply because the childen in my class are hearing the /ou/ and the /sh/ etc sounds; I do not include the word on the cards - in view of the confusion perhaps I should have :D ! I always name the cards with the children to avoid any confusion like c-oa-t/jacket!

Hope you can make you of them, anyway! ^_^

xDxDxD Cait - that's not like you

Well I've never heard it called a bat! I must move in different circles! Hahaha

They are great, Devonmaid, thank you for sharing, they will be put to good use

• Like 1

Well I've never heard it called a bat! I must move in different circles! Hahaha

They are great, Devonmaid, thank you for sharing, they will be put to good use

Not as in 'bat and ball'? :D:P:ph34r:

Yes. of course you are right - it was just easier to name the file c-v-c and I had forgotten that I include these - simply because the childen in my class are hearing the /ou/ and the /sh/ etc sounds; I do not include the word on the cards - in view of the confusion perhaps I should have :D ! I always name the cards with the children to avoid any confusion like c-oa-t/jacket!

Hope you can make you of them, anyway! ^_^

They're fab...just wondered if i'd missed something! :ph34r:xDxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)