Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

sick pay

A staff member was pulled over by a child today. When she fell she hurt her thumb. Went to hospital and having an X ray tommorrow. Just thinking ahead. If she can't work would you pay her? Know she will say it was not her fault. Well not my fault either.

Thanks in anticipation

Buttercup

A staff member was pulled over by a child today. When she fell she hurt her thumb. Went to hospital and having an X ray tommorrow. Just thinking ahead. If she can't work would you pay her? Know she will say it was not her fault. Well not my fault either.

Thanks in anticipation

Buttercup

Goodness sounds nasty :-( Same rules as everyone else I would say, we only pay ssp. If you start going into whether it's her fault or not will just get confusing and awkward for the future! Getting a sickness bug isn't the person fault either but we wouldn't pay for a day off for that!? Harsh but rules are rules and at the end of the day a horrible situation but you can't feel guilty for an accident x

There are lots of jobs you can do with a broken thumb so I wouldn't expect her to have time off but if she feels she needs it I would pay her, fault can't be bought into it but its your premises and if she were to sue for damages, she'd get more than her pay.

Edited by Rea

It's not about fault though, is it? If she was injured at work, then I think she would have a case for sick pay, if it comes to that. BUT, you need to look at how and why this accident happened. Could it have been prevented.............what led up to it?

• Like 1

There are lots of jobs you can do with a broken thumb so I wouldn't expect her to have time off but if she feels she needs it I would pay her, fault can't be bought into it but its your premises and if she were to sue for damages, she'd get more than her pay.

the problem with this IMO is that you will be admitting liability....she could try to pursue a claim with you but if you have already paid her then you might end up paying twice! Also if you twist the rules for her then you are opening yourself up for others to claim sick pay too. She doesn't get paid for four days so i assume you will know how bad it is by then anyway? (to be honest what you want is for her to come in to work then any claim should be null and void!).....try to write notes about incident and keep them on file.

• Like 2

Hi Buttercup

I wouldn't expect a broken thumb to keep anyone off work really.......

What I would be doing is logging all the details of the accident - but I'm sure you will have already done so :1b

(I have all sorts of puns re thumbs up' going through my head - but I'm resisting!)

• Like 3

Have you notified Ofsted? All fractures should be reported according to their factsheet "Serious accidents. injuries and deaths..

Now I am not saying that this is serious in my opinion, but having read the factsheet it would appear that all fractures are included.

You probably need to get some proper HR advice. People would expect to be paid if they were injured at work. Although you need to do a full investigation and find out who's fault it was. Now if she was wearing 'stupid' shoes........

It could have been worse she could have landed on the child.

• Like 1

Don't think HSE are interested in broken fingers and thumbs - that's my experience anyway.

I'll join the harsh brigade and say she could probably work - but does she need to drive to get to work as that could be tricky!

xD Asked my staff team this morning if they would expect time off for a broken thumb.......

"er no, we would just work round it wouldn't we"

"didn't have any time off for my broken toe - can't think a thumb would make much difference"

"no, why"

Phew - it's a thumbs up from my lot then! :rolleyes:

Promise I wasn't applying a thumb screw at the time of asking! :rolleyes:

So that just about thumbs it up for me :rolleyes:

Okay - I'll stop now - just thumbthing irresistible about this topic! xDxDxD

• Like 1

Buttercup hasn't come back to enlighten us on the extent of the injury.

Luckily or fortunately I havent experienced a broken bone but know it can be very painful. I also cant imagine being being dextrous with a broken thumb or able to do much. Only a thumb maybe but still an important body part?

I broke a toe once and it was horribly painful.............and swollen....................for ages ( I was also 8 months pregnant and due to be my best friend's bridesmaid ( hahahaha) the next day. I managed it, but it was awful. I can only imagine a thumb to be at least as painful, if not worse. So, unless it was her own silly fault ( and it doesn't sound as though it was?), then she's deserving of some sympathy in my book. It's all very well for folk to say it wouldn't prevent THEM from working, but it's not them is it? I worked throughout all my cancer treatment, but I am a very stubborn old witch and was determined o keep that part of my life under control as much as I could. But that doesn't mean i would not respect the pain someone else was in and their decision as to their ability to work.

• Like 1

Oh dear - not sure if that was directed at me or not......

I would have every sympathy of course that goes without saying......

I also would have absolutely no expectation that she should carry on working if she didn't feel able.......

My answers have been pretty 'tongue in cheek' - perhaps that was not clear - apologies if i haven't expressed myself well enough :1b

(still think there would be duties that she could probably carry out without too much trouble - perhaps some gentle, cosy time in the Book Corner :1b )

If it had been directed at anyone in particular, you know me well enough by now to know that I would have said so :P

I just felt there was a certain amount of lack of sympathy.....and it's ok for folk to say, 'yes of course I would work, even if my head had been cut off and my spleen was hanging out'..........because, in the end, none of us know how we would feel until something happens. I hope she's ok and can work, but I also hope she doesn't feel she HAS to if she doesn't feel able to. I will now crawl back under my stone....... :ph34r:;)

If it had been directed at anyone in particular, you know me well enough by now to know that I would have said so :P

I just felt there was a certain amount of lack of sympathy.....and it's ok for folk to say, 'yes of course I would work, even if my head had been cut off and my spleen was hanging out'..........because, in the end, none of us know how we would feel until something happens. I hope she's ok and can work, but I also hope she doesn't feel she HAS to if she doesn't feel able to. I will now crawl back under my stone....... :ph34r:;)

Come out from under that stone - there was absolutely no need to crawl under it in the first place! :1b

I hope that I didn't seem unsympathetic - if you knew me (which of course you don't) you would know that is not my style.......

C'mon Buttercup - let us know what happened and is she working or not! :1b

Edited by sunnyday

Ironically, one of my mums has turned up this morning..........................with a broken thumb. She is off to work as usual, and she works in a building society, on the front line, so lots of computer input etc. She couldn't see any reason not to work, but she did say the pain is awful.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. The following day was her admin day. She had it strapped in a splint. I think I was just being over cautious. She came back to work no questions asked. I did an accident report. Got me worried about ofsted. Thought those guidelines were for the children not staff?

Thanks again so nice that questions and concerns are responded to and there is always someone to listen even even when seems a daft question.

Buttercup

• Like 1