Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our new baby!

narnia

When you reply, narnia, click the 'more reply options' underneath the text box. This will bring up a further text box, underneath which will be a button to add attachments. looking forward to seeing them - although I need to warn you that Helen hatched chickens out for her nursery, and we're still looking after two geriatric chickens six years later...

• Like 2

Guest Spiral

That's exactly why I won't do it Steve. At home I already have three children, two cats, two gerbils and one dog.......but I'd love chickens and/or ducks too.

Good luck there Narnia x

No long term keepers here, I'm afraid. They go back to the farm where they are very lovingly looked after and kept for eggs...........outdoors, so they live happy lives. We just don't have room for keeping them, but do have all the pleasure of keeping them for a few weeks.

post-1469-0-82479300-1398776292_thumb.jpg

post-1469-0-92068400-1398776303_thumb.jpg

post-1469-0-71991500-1398776315_thumb.jpg

post-1469-0-06537400-1398776330_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

It has been very easy. Local farmer brings all the equipment and leaves it with us a day or so before the eggs are due to hatch, so that it's not too long for the children to wait, though we could have had them for longer if we wanted to. As to expense, given that he provides absolutely everything, including feed, sawdust, incubator, brooder, cage etc, Ithink it's realistically priced at £80. We can keep them for as long as we like and can rehome the ducks if we want to, or keep them, or he will take them back to the farm. It's a lot cheaper than the other living egg things I have seen and it's such a wonderful experience that I think it's worth every penny

• Like 2

These are lovely Narnia and you are so lucky to have such a generous local farmer who will do this for such a good price. We are currently asking for donations so that we can do living eggs again this year but at a cost of just under £300 this is not something we can afford without asking parents to contribute. Hopefully they will and we will have chicks (not ducklings I'm afraid) in the last half of the summer term. We have done this a couple of times before and our chicken keeping parents and staff have rehomed the girlies - the boys all go back though as no one wants to risk upsetting their neighbours with a crowing cockerel.

The children and their parents love it when we do this project so fingers crossed we raise enough pennies.