Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EY2 DBS for committees

Guest Spiral

I just don't get why it is so much easier to complete staff ones than committee members, ok I get maybe officers need a thorough check, but all committee members would be welcomed into our settings as parents without the checks .....we are now practically half way through the school year and it will soon be time to start again, with some still yet to complete leaving :(

I agree completely, school governors do not need DBS checks as they are not in contact with the children and on vists can not walk round school unsupervised! My board members only come into pre school when no one is there at all!

• Like 1

I agree completely, school governors do not need DBS checks as they are not in contact with the children and on vists can not walk round school unsupervised! My board members only come into pre school when no one is there at all!

Really? i thought all school governors had to have DBS' due to the confidential nature of their job....all our local governors have dbs'

• Like 1

When I was a governor I most definitely had contact with children. From a parents perspective, a school governor is seen as somebody who can be trusted with their children, so it's imperative that they are properly checked. It's not so far back in history that a school janitor was thought not to need a check ....... It's vital that we protect ourselves, and our children, and are seen to be doing it

School governors do not need DBS checks however governors in academy schools do! how weird is that! it is basically said that governors who do not do work with children in excess do not have to have a DBS check, a governor can with a DBS checked member walk around school, interview children (not alone i add) observe classes all without a check this does not cover the chair though they have to have one. My point is my committee members only come into pre school at night when we hold our monthly meetings yet we have to get a DBS check hmmmm sounds off to me.

I can say this is correct as i did my own research on it when i became a governor it is down to individual governing bodies to decide but in no way is it statutory for all governors to obtain a DBS check when associated with a maintained school.

The government gateway is causing the problem as you have to rely on parents having one and then completing their bit (with constant reminders) or worse not having one so then you have to not only wait for them to do their bit (or not) but to get a government gateway first!

I have tried everything- offering to do it in session, 'sorry in a rush today, cant stay' to constant reminders, 'sorry - keep forgetting this will do it tonight' to doing it all at a committee meeting but still waiting for two to do their bits!

As Mouseketeer says- it will soon be time to start over again!

• Like 2

my understanding is that the ey3 no longer exists....mind you, from experience it would appear that the

EY3 never ever led to a change in Ofsted's records anyway! The data they held was always totally out of date despite the fact that I always submitted EY3's for any changes.

That said, I stand to be corrected....how oh how can this be such a mess!

Edited by eyfs1966
  • Like 2

How are you notifying OFSTED of changes to Committee? Does the EY3 still exist?

When I phoned last term to offer names of new committee members I was told they didn't need to know....though I guess if someone else had picked up my call it could have been a different answer so don't bank on it :/

• Like 2