Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Binoculars out!

Cait

Oh, I would be looking for a George Clooney given half the chance!! Don't get me wrong I have nothing against swallows, and they always make me smile when they fly around me in the fields in the summer, but I would much rather look at Mr Clooney!! :wub:

• Like 2

So they are in Devon, any chance we could track them up the country? For those of you who don't recognise them, a quick google search will show you what you are looking for

Haven't seen them in Dorset yet but the buzzards are active now - fabulous to watch them circling overhead - can usually tell when they're about because the crows, magpies and jays are mobbing them - nice to see some of the bully boys of the bird world getting the frights for a change

We get a lot of buzzards in the Lakes, in fact one of the amazing things about the floods a few years back was that everybody was having to use the A66 to get about and there was lots of roadkill. The buzzards were practically lining the route, sitting on fenceposts and in trees, just waiting for lunch! In the short stretch of road between Workington and Cockermouth we counted eleven one Saturday morning!

• 3 weeks later...

Crumbs, they took their time getting to you! We had them on 15th April. The sand martins were here on 6th April

Thank you for spotting for me tho! Xx

• Like 1

Crumbs, they took their time getting to you! We had them on 15th April. The sand martins were here on 6th April

Thank you for spotting for me tho! Xx

:blink: Well maybe they were here before and I just didn't see them - promise I was looking though :D

• Like 1

Isn't that strange that I should see them up north before you? I wonder if some keep flying northwards and arrive earlier than the southern ones who set off later? I wonder if anybody has done a proper study?

Isn't that strange that I should see them up north before you? I wonder if some keep flying northwards and arrive earlier than the southern ones who set off later? I wonder if anybody has done a proper study?

You can bet Springwatch chappie would know Chris Packham - he's almost encyclopaedic on stuff like this! You should send an e mail off, can't be too long now until it's back on. I hope he doesn't say that it was just down to Sunnyday not being observant enough, but jet spraying the patio does mean she was looking down a lot!

• Like 2

Loosely related question- would anyone like some pigeons?

We are overrun with the blessed things :ph34r:

You remember I said I had a fear of birds - well pigeons are my worst, I cross the road to avoid one etc etc., wood pigeons have to be the most ridiculous bird put on this good earth, I've even seen the greedy beggars hanging off of our bird feeders, to say I loathe them is not strong enough language. In short, Sunnyday, you can keep your pigeons love!

You remember I said I had a fear of birds - well pigeons are my worst, I cross the road to avoid one etc etc., wood pigeons have to be the most ridiculous bird put on this good earth, I've even seen the greedy beggars hanging off of our bird feeders, to say I loathe them is not strong enough language. In short, Sunnyday, you can keep your pigeons love!

:o Okey Dokey - note to self: don't sent any pigeons to Panders! :1b

• Like 2