Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing a reference

Have you been contacted yet by the proposed new employers? They may have their own format for you to fill in which can be of help. I try to be as positive as I can or if I need to say something less positive I try to be as diplomatic as possible.

• Like 2

It is important to be completely honest. Contrary to popular belief, you can give a 'bad' reference as long as it is honest and correct. Some people deserve an excellent reference and I certainly have provided these. I would mainly concentrate on positive things unless there is something you think the new employer should be aware of. I always struggle with the 'would you re-employ' question. I feel bad putting 'no' but sometimes that is my honest opinion. If you are uncomfortable with giving the reference, just stick to facts - dates of employment, responsibilties etc...

I was always honest when giving a reference..

I tended to look at it as if I was the employer asking for the reference and would I want the truth or maybe employ someone with a glowing reference that was not good at the job..

I always remember one I gave where a member of staff walked out mid session because of a disagreement in practice.. as manager I said no to her, so she stormed out.. never to return.. and then had the cheek to put me as a referee for a job... needless to say they were told of her unprofessional conduct.. no idea if she ever found out or got a job.. but was never asked for reference again!

I know of some early years companies who refuse to give a reference as it is not their policy to do so.. it is an option.. you do not have to reply.. if in real difficulty but wanting to reply.. I used to say yes they had been employed from/ to and that was it..

• Like 1

Guest Spiral

Honesty is the best policy, I've attached the form I use.

Certainly, if the questions aren't asked clearly, you can't answer them as you won't know what they want.

Hope that makes sense,

Spiral :-)

I was very worried about what a past employer would write about me. They had no reason too, I was always on time, took extra shifts etc at drop of a hat etc but I disagreed with a lot of bad practice, mainly ratios and I always spoke up.

I was leaving and had given 6 weeks notice, 2 were holidays then I was to return for 4 weeks. She handed me my notice as I left for my holidays

With no warning at all. I was devastated and others were shocked too that she had treated me this way. I was honest with any job saying what had happened and one fed back to say that it was actually a good reference.

Honesty is best

When writing ref. it's more about what you don't say . When reading a ref you can tell by what's not said, so I don't write any derogatory notes. If they left for a disciplinary reason I would mention.

Guest Spiral

Go to;

www.gov.uk/work-reference

It spell out your legal rights and the law.

Just be careful. I always phone them if there is a comment in a reference I'm not sure about.

Spiral :-)

Would never respond to a demanded one? Surely it's common courtesy even for the Employer to ask do you mind supplying one

i once had a head teacher ring me 3 days after asking for one shouting at me to get it done as i was holding up her recruiting system! (she didn't get the response she was expecting i'm afraid!) :blink: :ph34r: