Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Noise levels in pre-school

We have a hearing impaired child attending. We are supported by an advisor who visits occasionally. Not sure what advice she should be giving us.We tell her if this child is having any difficulties in any areas she notes it and just lets us continue to support the child.She uses her sound meter many times throughout her visit.The measurement today was 60,I thought that the noise level was average bearing in mind that we had 36 children between the age of 2 to 4 years and 7 adults.We have 4 focus activities per day done in small groups. Other children engaging in free play.We were indoors because today because we were waiting for contractors to come and shred large felled trees. I was shocked to read copy of advisors report saying noise level was tremendous.Does anyone know what the average noise level should be. I asked her 3 times but she would not ask answer me.The advisor is hearing impaired herself so would she be more sensitive to noise?

Edited by bubblejack

Bl**dy loud at ours today, if I was hearing impaired I'd have taken my batteries out! I doubt it had any effect on the childrens learning, they were all at it, I guess spring is in the air, the cockerel next door wouldn't stop either.

• Like 3

Actually I always issue a little reminder if noise is becoming a little 'too much'.......something along the lines of "it's getting very noisy in here can we all use our little voices please" - it always works very well - if anyone wasn't listening first time and continues to use their 'big voice' - I just say "remember little voice please"

I do think noise can cause 'distress' and make some children 'uncomfortable'

Noise can be very subjective.. what is loud for some is hardly noticed by others... you can become conditioned to it , so resacting differently for all.

if the advisor was wearing hearing aids these tend to amplify all sounds equally... so a background noise is the same level as speech and can make all sound very loud... hard to describe until you have worn them. Not saying that is the reason she found it noisy but could help explain her reaction and wording. Must admit ti is maybe not very professional to put a label on a noise level without explaining it.. maybe a written request fro the interpretation they have on noise levels saying it would help you understand what is expected.

I am sorry wildflowers but I feel it a very sweeping statement that noise levels affect learning and noise causes stress..we all live in a society where there is a lot of noise around us almost all of the day... from so many different sources... many have noise in the home all the time from many sources.. is music causing stress.. any how many other sources are there in the same vein.. pleasurable noise, often relaxing and beautiful... some can get upset / distressed by loud noise but I am sure that would be dealt with if and as it arose.. for me there is no better noise than many children of all ages being vocal and enjoying what they are doing.. observing and seeing the huge amount of learning that comes from it.

I know of many older children or young adults that need noise to help them concentrate.. they have been brought up in times where noise is the norm.I learnt from a young age to filter noise and was and still am able to read a book in the noisiest of places and get lost in it.. hubby having to actually touch me to get me to respond.. I shut the noise out.

I agree in some instances noise can be detrimental to learning but not in all cases ..

sorry but I do feel that noise is not a bad thing...

• Like 2

Yes I agree when I think that its too noisy I turn the lights off to get attention and ask the children to be quiet but I really didn't think that it was noisy today.I have found this Support | WildEar Hearing Boosters and its says a reading of 60 is normal conversation.

Yes I can only do paperwork with back ground noise Inge. I usually sit in the corner of the pre-school room to do it. I cannot go to sleep at night without background noise of radio or tele.

Thanks for explaining about the effect of hearing aids and suggestion of written request and explanation.

• Like 1

Our room was VERY loud today, having just set up a stage in our role play area with musical instruments, music and lots of dressing up!

I love hearing children playing and having fun! However, we have a few girls who like to squeal so they are asked to use indoor voices :1b

I am sorry wildflowers but I feel it a very sweeping statement that noise levels affect learning and noise causes stress.

I've read that stress affects the capacity to take in and process information. I did put a question mark after my statement that noise cause stress. Loud sounds are not always noise - I perceive the word 'noise' as negative and assume it can be distressing for those who are sensitive. I don't mind loud sounds if coming from enjoyment and involvement! But some children go wild when it gets loud - knocking over other children's buildings and hurting others unintentionally.

Edited by Wildflowers

We're an open plan setting. Our baby room, our preschool room and the school next doors nursery class.

It gets insanely loud in our setting and we also have a hearing impaired child. We just try to make sure we keep the levels low as we can.

This thread came to mind this morning - when I asked 'my' children to use their 'little voices' :1b

One staff member was supporting a 'Letters and Sounds' activity and another was supporting use of the lap-top with number software.......all very useful for this mornings group of three and four year olds.........

Other children were very happily accessing various areas of Continuous Provision - but very 'loudly'! :1b

Once asked to use their 'little voices' a contented 'buzz' of children engaging fully descended on the room - lovely - it certainly didn't spoil any child's enjoyment :1b

I rest my case......... ;)

• Like 2

We had a hearing impaired child- she had a teacher who used to come in once a week or so and work with her- she was also hearing impaired and used to complain about our hall layout and noise a lot. We are in a very large church hall with ridiculously high ceilings, wooden floors and brick walls. She gave me the childs hearing aid to listen through- as others have said it magnified all the background noise as well, dreadful, absolutely dreadful our child was always turning hers off- quite frankly i'm not surprised. Her teacher said that our environment was about the worst you could get for a hearing impaired person to try and function in. However- it is, what it is. There wasnt really much that could be done about it and there were times when she would be saying 'Its so noisy in here' and i would be thinking it was a fairly calm day. Obviously 25 3/4 year olds are going to make some noise- however calm.

Edited by lynned55

Actually I always issue a little reminder if noise is becoming a little 'too much'.......something along the lines of "it's getting very noisy in here can we all use our little voices please" - it always works very well - if anyone wasn't listening first time and continues to use their 'big voice' - I just say "remember little voice please"

I do think noise can cause 'distress' and make some children 'uncomfortable'

I agree, especially with those who are unsettled or anxious.

We are having a bit of a time too with our very little 2 year olds - you can actually seem them flinch at times when the older more noisy children walk / run past them ... they aren't doing anything wrong they are just so much more advanced than the littlies.

• Like 1